Jump to content
GJen

Tourist visa and dual citizenship with different day of birth

14 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

 

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here I go.

 

So my mom is originally from Colombia, but she grew up in Venezuela. She has a Venezuelan passport and US Tourist visa. She is been to the US several times, never overstayed or had any issues at all. She usually stays about 2 months and then goes back home. On her Venezuelan passport and Visa her day of birth is showing as April 24 1951. (this detail will make sense in a  bit)

 

Unfortunately because of the current political distress Venezuela is in and because the US is not allowing flights directly from Venezuela to the US my mom is having to travel through Colombia and since she was born in Colombia and she is also a Colombian citizen she is required to travel with a Colombian passport. Now here comes the issue she is having. She went to get a Colombian passport a couple months ago and when she received it she noticed that her day of birth is showing as April 25th 1951. She talked to them about it and turns out that’s the actual date showing in her birth certificate and she had no idea and this cant be changed. For some reason she always thought she was born on April 24th, not 25th. So as I understand my mom wouldn’t be able to use her Colombian passport and her US visa because the birth dates don’t match due to this error.

 

My question is, would my mother be okay leaving Colombia with her Colombian passport and then entering the US with her Venezuelan passport and her US Visa (which is also on her Venezuelan passport)? Or could she be detained for this issue?

 

Venezuelan Passport and US Visa show day of birth as of April 24th 1951

Colombian Passport shows day of birth April 25th 1951

 

Thank you,


G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif




Visajourney.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GJen said:

My question is, would my mother be okay leaving Colombia with her Colombian passport and then entering the US with her Venezuelan passport and her US Visa (which is also on her Venezuelan passport)? Or could she be detained for this issue?

Well, this is an interesting scenario but I think in your mom's case, the answer is easy. I don't think the US care what passport you use to leave another country. They only care what passport you use to enter the US with and do you have the right visa in that passport. So in your mom's case, I think she has to use the Venezuelan passport to enter the US because it has the visa on it. What she uses to leave Colombia, the US has no business in it. 

 

I thought you were gonna ask if she can enter the US using the Colombia passport but the visa is on her Venezuelan passport, which will present an interesting scenario: Can one use one passport and a visa on a different nationality's passport? Assume there is no issue about the birth date like your mom. And I don't have the answer to that. I hold two passports too (US and Vietnam) but never have this problem because I always use my Vietnamese passport to enter and leave Vietnam (which is another proof that your mom can use her Colombian passport to leave Colombia) and always use my US passport to enter the US, but since I'm citizen of both, I never needed any visa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Can one use one passport and a visa on a different nationality's passport?

It's my understanding that you can't, no. If the passport with your visa expires, you can use a new passport of the same nationality and the unexpired visa in another passport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GJen said:

Hey everyone,

 

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here I go.

 

So my mom is originally from Colombia, but she grew up in Venezuela. She has a Venezuelan passport and US Tourist visa. She is been to the US several times, never overstayed or had any issues at all. She usually stays about 2 months and then goes back home. On her Venezuelan passport and Visa her day of birth is showing as April 24 1951. (this detail will make sense in a  bit)

 

Unfortunately because of the current political distress Venezuela is in and because the US is not allowing flights directly from Venezuela to the US my mom is having to travel through Colombia and since she was born in Colombia and she is also a Colombian citizen she is required to travel with a Colombian passport. Now here comes the issue she is having. She went to get a Colombian passport a couple months ago and when she received it she noticed that her day of birth is showing as April 25th 1951. She talked to them about it and turns out that’s the actual date showing in her birth certificate and she had no idea and this cant be changed. For some reason she always thought she was born on April 24th, not 25th. So as I understand my mom wouldn’t be able to use her Colombian passport and her US visa because the birth dates don’t match due to this error.

 

My question is, would my mother be okay leaving Colombia with her Colombian passport and then entering the US with her Venezuelan passport and her US Visa (which is also on her Venezuelan passport)? Or could she be detained for this issue?

 

Venezuelan Passport and US Visa show day of birth as of April 24th 1951

Colombian Passport shows day of birth April 25th 1951

 

Thank you,

She can usually leave Colombia on her Colombian passport and enter the US on her Venezuelan one, no problem, people do this kind of thing all the time. The problem will come in in that she has to enter her date of birth when booking the flight ticket, which means one of the passports is not going to align with the pax info on the airline manifest.

 

(as an aside it’s kind of weird that she apparently was able to provide a date of birth for the Venezuelan passport without any official confirmation (like birth certificate) of that? Something like that would have picked up the error.)

Edited by SusieQQQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

She can usually leave Colombia on her Colombian passport and enter the US on her Venezuelan one, no problem, people do this kind of thing all the time. The problem will come in in that she has to enter her date of birth when booking the flight ticket, which means one of the passports is not going to align with the pax info on the airline manifest.

 

(as an aside it’s kind of weird that she apparently was able to provide a date of birth for the Venezuelan passport without any official confirmation (like birth certificate) of that? Something like that would have picked up the error.)


My mother received citizenship in Venezuela when she was very young so I guess it was some kind of typo in the documentation when they processed her citizenship and it was never fixed for her. I was thinking about purchasing the ticket using my mother’s Venezuelan passport information since that’s the passport she will be using when leaving Colombia so using the birthday information used in her Venezuelan passport instead of the Colombian passport. Do you think she will have issues leaving Colombia that way?


G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif




Visajourney.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, GJen said:


My mother received citizenship in Venezuela when she was very young so I guess it was some kind of typo in the documentation when they processed her citizenship and it was never fixed for her. I was thinking about purchasing the ticket using my mother’s Venezuelan passport information since that’s the passport she will be using when leaving Colombia so using the birthday information used in her Venezuelan passport instead of the Colombian passport. Do you think she will have issues leaving Colombia that way?

I’m confused, I thought you said she had to use the Colombian passport to leave Colombia in your first post? Of course if she can just use the Venezuelan passport for everything  that’s an easy solution.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  You can buy her a ticket with copa airlines, she will make a short layover in Panama City and then she can board the plane to any POE closer to you. No need to go through immigration in Panama. All of this with her Venezuelan passport. My mom is both Italian and Venezuelan and she’s always used both passports to travel (not to the US though) 

 

it will be Ccs-pty-pty- any American city. Unless you want her to leave from Colombia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 11:44 AM, SusieQQQ said:

I’m confused, I thought you said she had to use the Colombian passport to leave Colombia in your first post? Of course if she can just use the Venezuelan passport for everything  that’s an easy solution.

She does have to use her Colombian passport to leave Colombia, but what I’m trying to figure out is if I have to purchase the ticket using the Venezuelan or Colombian passport. I don’t know if this matters at all. I thought I would use the Venezuelan one since that’s the one she is using to enter the US. I’m afraid that if I use her Colombian passport to purchase the ticket US immigration officers will request her Colombian passport instead of the Venezuelan one and then the dates wouldn’t match.


G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif




Visajourney.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GJen said:

She does have to use her Colombian passport to leave Colombia, but what I’m trying to figure out is if I have to purchase the ticket using the Venezuelan or Colombian passport. I don’t know if this matters at all. I thought I would use the Venezuelan one since that’s the one she is using to enter the US. I’m afraid that if I use her Colombian passport to purchase the ticket US immigration officers will request her Colombian passport instead of the Venezuelan one and then the dates wouldn’t match.

Is there exit control in Colombia?  If she has to show her Colombian passport to exit and it doesn’t match the date of birth listed in her ticket that could also be a problem,.

 

I am not sure what you mean about “using the passport to purchase the ticket”.  You don’t need a passport to buy a ticket, unless there is some local regulation in Colombia about that? When her details need to be entered for APIS (which doesn’t have to happen when you buy the ticket, it just has to happen before check-in/the boarding pass is issued) then she can use the Venezuelan passport for that, as that is where her US visa is, and she will obviously need that to match the date of birth  on the ticket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Is there exit control in Colombia?  If she has to show her Colombian passport to exit and it doesn’t match the date of birth listed in her ticket that could also be a problem,.

 

I am not sure what you mean about “using the passport to purchase the ticket”.  You don’t need a passport to buy a ticket, unless there is some local regulation in Colombia about that? When her details need to be entered for APIS (which doesn’t have to happen when you buy the ticket, it just has to happen before check-in/the boarding pass is issued) then she can use the Venezuelan passport for that, as that is where her US visa is, and she will obviously need that to match the date of birth  on the ticket.

The only country where I haven't seen exit controls is the US, but there is no date of birth listed on the ticket, so it shouldn't be a problem.

 

Also, I've always needed to enter passport info when booking international tickets, and then re-enter them at check-in.

Edited by Mollie09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mollie09 said:

The only country where I haven't seen exit controls is the US, but there is no date of birth listed on the ticket, so it shouldn't be a problem.

 

Also, I've always needed to enter passport info when booking international tickets, and then re-enter them at check-in.

I’ve always had to enter date of birth information when booking a ticket. Definitely not always passport info. Anyway whichever the case is, there is a date of birth that goes on the ticket file that looks like somewhere it will cause problems for OP’s mom. If no one was going to look at it why would they bother having you enter it?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Is there exit control in Colombia?  If she has to show her Colombian passport to exit and it doesn’t match the date of birth listed in her ticket that could also be a problem,.

 

I am not sure what you mean about “using the passport to purchase the ticket”.  You don’t need a passport to buy a ticket, unless there is some local regulation in Colombia about that? When her details need to be entered for APIS (which doesn’t have to happen when you buy the ticket, it just has to happen before check-in/the boarding pass is issued) then she can use the Venezuelan passport for that, as that is where her US visa is, and she will obviously need that to match the date of birth  on the ticket.


yes, there is exit control in Colombia. I guess you don’t really need a passport to buy the ticket, but when you are ready to check in, it does ask for passport info. That’s what I’m trying to figure out. I guess I’ll have to have her do check in using her Colombian passport and hope they don’t give her a hard time when trying to enter the US. 😓


G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif




Visajourney.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...