Alex and Nick

I-129F Packet: P. 2, Q. 54 - Circumstances of your in-person meeting

76 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

While us oldies here know that in fact, you took it seriously more than once 😉

Thanks for the reminder,  I can always count on you!!!!!

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

For the circumstances of meeting, I wrote a 1pg letter to the USCIS officer detailing how we came to meet, the dates of each meeting and what we did. We both signed it as well. Just remember, like others have said, the CO will see anything you put in your packet. I would front load your packet within reason. I submitted about 20 photos, my 2 boarding passes and passport stamps. No RFE. Country: Ghana 🇬🇭 high fraud.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sunny_Skies said:

Now this topic got me worried. We had about 10 photos and to prove they were taken within two years, we provided my boarding pass from our first trip and his I-94 that included each of his visits as well as one boarding pass. This is the Montreal consulate, so is that enough?

you should be good!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Sunny_Skies said:

Now this topic got me worried. We had about 10 photos and to prove they were taken within two years, we provided my boarding pass from our first trip and his I-94 that included each of his visits as well as one boarding pass. This is the Montreal consulate, so is that enough?

You are currently at the uscis not Montreal.  The boarding pass and i94 is the best evidence.   The pictures are secondary.   You should still be fine 

YMMV

5 minutes ago, implife said:

Saying something to the effect of "Over the last 5 years we met over 100 times" is exactly what's needed to do the job.

This is precisely what we did, with the dates and the corresponding passport stamps as supporting evidence.  We had a similarly "easy" consulate.  No RFEs or delays.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Sunny_Skies said:

This is EXACTLY what we plan on including. Only difference is we'll include slightly less photos but I don't see the extra few included being a problem.

18 hours ago, Alex and Nick said:

Completely agree with you here. You 100% get an RFE if you don't include enough information. You 100% do not get an RFE if you include too much information. At the most, you might slightly annoy the USCIS officer reading the packet. What's the saying anyways, better safe than sorry? 

I think the point of keeping it to a minimum is that you focus on quality, rather than quantity. Too much quantity looks like an attempt to make up for lack of quality evidence.

If you've made several trips its good to document more than one, just in case they eg can't read the date on a passport stamp for one of them.

Since you're from Canada its a much lower bar. Think about it

1) its very easy for a Canadian/US couple to meet as the countries are right next to each other. Would be very unlikely that a Canadian/US couple wouldn't have met within past 2 years, so requires relatively little evidence to convince USCIS, though in some cases where you can drive across border you won't have plane tickets etc so need to think more creatively.

2) at this point you don't need relationship evidence, but again, its much less likely that someone from Canada will engage in a scam marriage to get to the USA (since life in the USA isn't much different that Canada - better weather, worse healthcare, more shootings).

When you see people here getting RFEs its usually because

1) they omitted crucial evidence, eg they submitted loads of airline ticket receipts, hotel bookings, but no passport stamps to prove they actually traveled
2) in some cases USCIS appear to have missed crucial evidence that was sent (one can only speculate, but that seems more likely when the applicants have sent vast numbers of documents)

We submitted 2-3 photos, and documented several trips (both me to US, and wife to UK) with boarding passes, tickets and passport stamps. Each sheet of paper documented a separate trip so we only submitted 3-4 pages of evidence.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Limey said:

I think the point of keeping it to a minimum is that you focus on quality, rather than quantity. Too much quantity looks like an attempt to make up for lack of quality evidence.

If you've made several trips its good to document more than one, just in case they eg can't read the date on a passport stamp for one of them.

Since you're from Canada its a much lower bar. Think about it

1) its very easy for a Canadian/US couple to meet as the countries are right next to each other. Would be very unlikely that a Canadian/US couple wouldn't have met within past 2 years, so requires relatively little evidence to convince USCIS, though in some cases where you can drive across border you won't have plane tickets etc so need to think more creatively.

2) at this point you don't need relationship evidence, but again, its much less likely that someone from Canada will engage in a scam marriage to get to the USA (since life in the USA isn't much different that Canada - better weather, worse healthcare, more shootings).

When you see people here getting RFEs its usually because

1) they omitted crucial evidence, eg they submitted loads of airline ticket receipts, hotel bookings, but no passport stamps to prove they actually traveled
2) in some cases USCIS appear to have missed crucial evidence that was sent (one can only speculate, but that seems more likely when the applicants have sent vast numbers of documents)

We submitted 2-3 photos, and documented several trips (both me to US, and wife to UK) with boarding passes, tickets and passport stamps. Each sheet of paper documented a separate trip so we only submitted 3-4 pages of evidence. 

Yes I'm aware that you just need to meet the requirements for the proof of having met portion. I'm talking about the optional section you can include that shows proof of an ongoing relationship. That's what I was referring too and that's what I think everyone in this thread is missing. The reason we're choosing to do this optional portion is because I have been ill for a full year so we've lost a lot of time that would have created proof/evidence. I'm submitting 2-3 photos in the required portion and an additional 2-3 photos in the option portion. Even if an extra 2-3 photos is 2-3 too many we'd rather be safe than sorry.

On 10/30/2019 at 4:40 PM, Alex and Nick said:

Hello, I'm slightly confused about Part 2, Question 54 in the I-129F form:

It says to 'describe the circumstances of your in-person meeting'. Does this mean to we describe our very first in-person meeting that occurred or every in-person meeting that occurred during our entire relationship?

When describing our very first in-person meeting should we talk about how we originally met online and that is what prompted us to meet in person or just strictly refer to the times we interacted with each other in-person?

How do we organize this information (since I'm guessing the more detail the better)? Do we use bullet points or should we write it like a story?

Since all this information wont fit in the designated space in Part 2, Question 54 and in Part 8 (the space designated for additional information) is this where we create a I-129F Supplement? If so, do we title is as 'I-129F Supplement: Part 2, Question 54"?

After creating the I-129F Supplement what do we write in Part 2, Question 54 of the I-129F form? Would it be something like, 'Please refer to the 'I-129F Supplement: Part 2, Question 54' of the I-129F Packet.'?

Thank you for any and all help!

Like @flfreddy, I sent in passport stamps from both our passports, pictures, messages, plane tickets, messages, local landmarks and attractions that we went to,  screenshots of our google hangouts, as well as screenshots of our hangout call list dating back for years, facebook messages, whatsapp messages, basically anything that we could throw at it. In the 'describe the circumstances of your in-person meeting' section, I described our most recent visit but included everything else from previous visits in a continued/ongoing relationship section.  We are still waiting on NOA2 though, so not sure if we did will get an RFE or not yet but will update when I hear something. 

Edited by AshleyHope0618
Forgot to add info

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
27 minutes ago, AshleyHope0618 said:

Like @flfreddy, I sent in passport stamps from both our passports, pictures, messages, plane tickets, messages, local landmarks and attractions that we went to,  screenshots of our google hangouts, as well as screenshots of our hangout call list dating back for years, facebook messages, whatsapp messages, basically anything that we could throw at it. In the 'describe the circumstances of your in-person meeting' section, I described our most recent visit but included everything else from previous visits in a continued/ongoing relationship section.  We are still waiting on NOA2 though, so not sure if we did will get an RFE or not yet but will update when I hear something. 

You will likely easily clear NOA2, then prepare for bonafide relationship proof at CO interview later.  ie  start itemizing docs and travel plans moving forward.

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

2 minutes ago, flfreddy said:

You will likely easily clear NOA2, then prepare for bonafide relationship proof at CO interview later.  ie  start itemizing docs and travel plans moving forward.

Thank you, I really hope we do, fingers crossed for no RFEs 🤞I have already started itemizing docs, but are you meaning for his travel here once the k1 is issued? We arent planning on another visit until after the k1 is approved and he flies over, as we find that the money can be put toward other uses in the meantime.  We have already been looking at flights and the best possible options for a range of dates :D 

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, AshleyHope0618 said:

Thank you, I really hope we do, fingers crossed for no RFEs 🤞I have already started itemizing docs, but are you meaning for his travel here once the k1 is issued? We arent planning on another visit until after the k1 is approved and he flies over, as we find that the money can be put toward other uses in the meantime.  We have already been looking at flights and the best possible options for a range of dates :D 

You will be asked about ongoing relationship.   So prepare evidence of that.   A visit would be ideal.  Present during interview outside embassy (with passport as proof) perfect!

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

11 minutes ago, flfreddy said:

You will be asked about ongoing relationship.   So prepare evidence of that.   A visit would be ideal.  Present during interview outside embassy (with passport as proof) perfect!

All of this is very consulate-specific.  London is known for being quite lenient.  An additional visit with passport as proof of presence outside of the embassy is not necessary for London.

10 hours ago, AshleyHope0618 said:

We arent planning on another visit until after the k1 is approved and he flies over, as we find that the money can be put toward other uses in the meantime.

Should be totally fine for London.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.