Summer888

HELP! Need to travel within US with expired I 94

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi! I need help. So i entered US and marry my husband within 90 days. My i-94 will be expired on Nov 20th. We plan to apply AOS by beginning of December due to some document works,  but i must fly to San Diego on December 6th. 

My question is:

1. Should i be ok to fly domestically with only foreign passport and marriage certificate?

2. What other documents or things i should prepare for tsa checking?

Your help is very much appreciated! thank you so much!

~~~~~~~
I 129F sent: 12/09/18

I 129F NOA1: 12/17/18

I 129F NOA 2: 03/27/19

Interview date: 07/17/19

Visa received: 07/30/19

US Entry: 08/02/9

~~~~~~~
Get married😍 09/09/19

~~~~~~~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Since you will be out of status because you would not have filed your AOS and have the NOA1 granting you a period of authorized stay, I would be careful around San Diego, it is the US side of the busiest land boarder crossing in the US, and there is a large amount of CBP presence. As long as you are staying in Downtown or northern San diego, you should have no problems. Just know they have checkpoints they set-up at random locations, usually within 10-20 miles of the boarder, as long as you are staying clear of the boarder such as in San Ysidro, etc. you should not have any problems.

As for the flights it is usually not an issue as long as it is domestic travel.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

Excellent post, suggest that you heed the advice given in it. :thumbs:Flying into or out of San Diego without proper documentation hopefully won't present a detention problem for you. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk an interaction with CBP at these times of "enhanced immigration enforcement."  YMMV.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

11 hours ago, Summer888 said:

Hi! I need help. So i entered US and marry my husband within 90 days. My i-94 will be expired on Nov 20th. We plan to apply AOS by beginning of December due to some document works,  but i must fly to San Diego on December 6th. 

My question is:

1. Should i be ok to fly domestically with only foreign passport and marriage certificate?

2. What other documents or things i should prepare for tsa checking?

Your help is very much appreciated! thank you so much!

Why are you waiting to file?  You will be out of status.  With the present state of things, that is risky.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I live in San Diego and flew for 4th of July holidays to South Carolina when  I was on the last days of my i94, flew back without the noa1 because it was in the mail,  my I-94 was expired by then. My I94 had expired 4 days before flying back. And I had no issues but I was asked a couple of questions. 

HOWEVER, checkpoints might be anywhere recently specially in the south. I can recall the other day a friend warn me of taking all my documents with me because they were checking people close to the airport and downtown. 

If I were you I'd file ASAP. Better safe than sorry. 

4 hours ago, Eric&Mirella said:

I live in San Diego and flew for 4th of July holidays to South Carolina when  I was on the last days of my i94, flew back without the noa1 because it was in the mail,  my I-94 was expired by then. My I94 had expired 4 days before flying back. And I had no issues but I was asked a couple of questions. 

HOWEVER, checkpoints might be anywhere recently specially in the south. I can recall the other day a friend warn me of taking all my documents with me because they were checking people close to the airport and downtown. 

But in your example, you had filed, so even without the NOA1 in your possession,  you were in a ‘period of authorized stay.’

OP wants to travel while out of status.  Big difference.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

But in your example, you had filed, so even without the NOA1 in your possession,  you were in a ‘period of authorized stay.’

OP wants to travel while out of status.  Big difference.

Thanks for clarifying, I thought it was the same situation. 

Timeline
On 10/28/2019 at 7:01 PM, payxibka said:

thanks so much! its really helpful 

~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Get married😍 09/09/19

~~~~~~~

Timeline
20 hours ago, Eric&Mirella said:

I understand and i decided to filed 2 weeks before i leave to San diego. Do you think receipt of USCIS already received our application is sufficient enough in case i bump into CBP?

btw, if you dont mind, could you please tell me whats the weather gonna be during early december? i dont want to bring wrong outfit lol

thanks so much!!

~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Get married😍 09/09/19

~~~~~~~

Timeline
On 10/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, Pitaya said:

Excellent post, suggest that you heed the advice given in it. :thumbs:Flying into or out of San Diego without proper documentation hopefully won't present a detention problem for you. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk an interaction with CBP at these times of "enhanced immigration enforcement."  YMMV.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

thanks so much! i will try to file 2 weeks prior the trip. Is biometrics appointment always happen 1 month after uscis get the application?

~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Get married😍 09/09/19

~~~~~~~

Timeline
1 hour ago, Summer888 said:

I understand and i decided to filed 2 weeks before i leave to San diego. Do you think receipt of USCIS already received our application is sufficient enough in case i bump into CBP?

btw, if you dont mind, could you please tell me whats the weather gonna be during early december? i dont want to bring wrong outfit lol

thanks so much!!

TBH I'm still trying to figure out weather in San Diego. Lately, temperatures at night have been around 48-58 F.  I imagined it'll get colder during daytime by December.  I would definitely bring some layers(not too thick)  and dress accordingly.

Also, for what I've read here the NOA1 should be enough to proof your authorized stay in the country. 

Edited by Eric&Mirella

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Summer888 said:

thanks so much! i will try to file 2 weeks prior the trip. Is biometrics appointment always happen 1 month after uscis get the application?

Hopefully you will get you NOA1 in time. Be aware that there are current forum threads where folks have waited a month for their NOA1. Check some recent threads for particulars. Biometrics appointments happen when there are openings at the local field office, it may or may not be within a month of acceptance of AOS applications. The appointments are scheduled by the ACS scheduling minions in Alexandria, VA.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
13 hours ago, Pitaya said:

Hopefully you will get you NOA1 in time. Be aware that there are current forum threads where folks have waited a month for their NOA1. Check some recent threads for particulars. Biometrics appointments happen when there are openings at the local field office, it may or may not be within a month of acceptance of AOS applications. The appointments are scheduled by the ACS scheduling minions in Alexandria, VA.

i hope so.. but i think at least uscis approval is sufficient in case CBP shows up?

~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Get married😍 09/09/19

~~~~~~~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.