Lnvall

Name change

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hi,

I changed my name 10 years ago, i got a third name, like i was “Firstname Secondname” and now im “Firstname Secondname Thirdname”.

It wasnt because of marriage or any other reason, i just wanted a third name.

I got a new birth certificate, and it doesnt says its a name change, its like an original certificate with my new whole name, but with date 2008.

Shoud i mention this namechange in our case?

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Kumar01 said:

If you're referring to the I-129F or K visa interview documentation, then yes, you need to show proof of legal name change. Does your passport have the newer name with the "thirdname" on it? Also, what do you mean by a "new" birth certificate? did you get a fresh copy of the original.

Your question may have a simple answer if you explain just a bit more. But from what I can tell from the information you've provided, yes, include the new name as your current legal name and your previous name as "other names used" and also include proof of legal name change.

My passport has my new name with my third name.

i mean they destroyed my old certificate with my old name on it, and i got a new one with my new name.

i use my new name on my every official documents like bank card, id, passport, every database im in.

so just to be clear i picked up a third name after my original name. So i became “firstname secondname thirdname” instead of “firstname secondname”

like from “Jane Doe” to “Jane Jessica Doe”

Edited by Lnvall

Use your legal name for everything going forward with all immigration documentation. Have your most current passport available and any court documents that prove the name was changed legally. Leave the past behind you.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Use your legal name for everything going forward with all immigration documentation. Have your most current passport available and any court documents that prove the name was changed legally. Leave the past behind you.

If i send my official paper what says i changed my name legally and they send me a new birth cert With my new name, will we be good?

1 hour ago, Lnvall said:

If i send my official paper what says i changed my name legally and they send me a new birth cert With my new name, will we be good?

You bring your old BC with court papers that state that you legally changed your name. KISS. (Keep it simple S)

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

You bring your old BC with court papers that state that you legally changed your name. KISS. (Keep it simple S)

I have no old birth certificate cause they replaced it with the new one in 2008. And im the beneficiary. And i dont understand this “kiss”.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 hours ago, Lnvall said:

You need the court order allowing you to change your name.  You need a legal document to link your old name and your new name.  

Timeline
Just now, aaron2020 said:

You need the court order allowing you to change your name.  You need a legal document to link your old name and your new name.  

I have a paper what says “your old name was that, and your new name is this, and we destroy your old BC and here is your new BC”. Im gonna translate this paper and attach to our case. Will it be enough?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Lnvall said:

I have a paper what says “your old name was that, and your new name is this, and we destroy your old BC and here is your new BC”. Im gonna translate this paper and attach to our case. Will it be enough?

Don't know.  Is it a legal court document?

10 hours ago, Lnvall said:

This is an original BC, but with date 2008. It doesnt say i changed my name. After i changed, they replaced my old BC with the new one, and i have a paper from it. In my new Bc at the “birth forenames” section my new name written.

I’m pretty sure you’ll still need to show proof of previous name.. 

Something else you might want to consider while on this topic, is your criminal history / record check... pretty sure you’ll need to show history or clean for both names

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

I’m pretty sure you’ll still need to show proof of previous name.. 

Something else you might want to consider while on this topic, is your criminal history / record check... pretty sure you’ll need to show history or clean for both names

I have a paper says “we changed your previous name to the new name” (my previous name is written on it), so it proves my previous name.

And i cant hide a criminal act if i did some just because i got a new name. They have it in their database, they can investigate my whole life, not only by my new name.

i just picked up a third name, Its not a completely new name.

Edited by Lnvall

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.