jesslieb

My interview agent (messed) up and didn't get my fingerprints correctly

17 posts in this topic

I had my green card interview at the US embassy in Paris on October 2nd.

Today, October 22nd, I received a voicemail message from them. They said they didn't get my fingerprints correctly and that I needed to come tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, between 9am and 10am.

I can't come, obviously. Because I work and also because I live on the other side of France.

Here is my question : What happens if I don't show up on the days mentioned? Does a voicemail message has any legal value?

I wasn't given any name, number or email address to reach them. I tried calling with phone numbers on the internet but nobody seemed to know with which person to put me through.

Second question : We're very close to our 2nd year anniversary, in December. Would postponing the approval date allow me to get a 10 year green card? Or is it based on the date of the interview?

You will not be issued a visa without a complete set of biometrics.  Whether this will work in favor in terms of getting a 10-year green card, is hard to say timing-wise. 

Edited by Jorgedig

My understanding is that whether you get a 2 or a 10 year card after entering the US is based on how long you've been married at the date you enter the US on your CR1 -- if you are over 2 years when you enter with the visa, you get the 10 year card (provided that your visa is still valid when you enter).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

You will not be issued a visa without a complete set of biometrics.  Whether this will work in favor in terms of getting a 10-year green card, is hard to say timing-wise. 

Not hard to say.   

YMMV

3 minutes ago, laylalex said:

My understanding is that whether you get a 2 or a 10 year card after entering the US is based on how long you've been married at the date you enter the US on your CR1 -- if you are over 2 years when you enter with the visa, you get the 10 year card (provided that your visa is still valid when you enter).

^^^ That

28 minutes ago, jesslieb said:

What happens if I don't show up on the days mentioned? Does a voicemail message has any legal value?

Probably nothing will happen. You case cannot proceed forward until you give them a good complete set of biometrics. Just curious, what are you gonna do then? Just show up at the Embassy on random day?

10 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

It's based on entry: "If you have been married for less than two years when your foreign citizen spouse enters the United States on an immigrant visa, his or her permanent resident status is considered “conditional.”" https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/immigrant-visa-for-spouse.html

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
27 minutes ago, jesslieb said:

Here is my question : What happens if I don't show up on the days mentioned? Does a voicemail message has any legal value?

In the immigration game you don't hold the cards. Its pretty easy, if you want a visa you'll go and do the biometrics. 

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Not hard to say.   

Right.  Eventually enough time will elapse for them to qualify for the ten year visa.

7 minutes ago, HRQX said:

It's based on entry: "If you have been married for less than two years when your foreign citizen spouse enters the United States on an immigrant visa, his or her permanent resident status is considered “conditional.”" https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/immigrant-visa-for-spouse.html

Kind of a moot point, since no visa will be issued without biometrics having been completed.

Edited by Jorgedig

2 minutes ago, designguy said:

In the immigration game you don't hold the cards. Its pretty easy, if you want a visa you'll go and do the biometrics. 

Yes. And I'll go. I was just wondering if I had to right to ask for a later date, (in a few weeks or ideally  in december after our 2 year anniversary) since I got less than 24 hours notice.

• Unlockable changed the title to My interview agent (messed) up and didn't get my fingerprints correctly

*** Title of thread edited to remove inappropriate language. Please abide by the TOS of this site and not use foul language.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
1 minute ago, jesslieb said:

Yes. And I'll go. I was just wondering if I had to right to ask for a later date, (in a few weeks or ideally  in december after our 2 year anniversary) since I got less than 24 hours notice.

The link on the Paris embassy site is broken (https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-fr/iv/information/iv_faqs). You should call one of these numbers Phone: [33] (1)43122222, Alt Phone: (33) 1 42 66 97 83. Ask to be connected to the Immigrant Visa Unit or ask for the email address for the Immigrant Visa unit and take up contact as soon as possible

16 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Perfect, thank you!!!

14 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Probably nothing will happen. You case cannot proceed forward until you give them a good complete set of biometrics. Just curious, what are you gonna do then? Just show up at the Embassy on random day?

Thank you for your answer. I'm hoping i can reach someone at some point and set a later date with them. But since they're expecting me tomorrow I'm not sure I can talk to them by then and that's why i wanted to make sure it wouldn't have terrible consequences. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.