Tech66

Cover letter questions

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are about to send in our ROC application and I'd just like your opinions or experience. We have a fair amount of evidence but not a lot with both our names on it. I bought my house 5 years before we were married and all utilities, tax bills, etc, are in my name only. Even the car I bought her is financed in my name only as she wasn't able to work yet and had no credit history. Should I explain this in our cover letter or just submit the evidence we DO have, i.e. tax transcripts, travel flight info, bank, investment accounts, etc and assume we will be interviewed? Thanks for all replies

Edited by Tech66

Timeline
2 minutes ago, H&T said:

don't forgot include both of your driver license with same address.

Yes, I printed that. Plus, GC front and back for my wife and her K2 children, as well. Seems like interviews are more likely to happen since 12/18. Especially if documentation seems thin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Tech66 said:

Plus, GC front and back for my wife and her K2 children, as well

That is required, and does zero to prove a bona fide marriage.......  Concentrate on quality evidence normally generated during a marriage.......then comes evidence showing both names at a common address.......

Note: Everyone should start preparing for Removal of Conditions the day they set foot in the US.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

If you really don't have much at all, you should explain it in the cover letter.  But also, it sounds like you could have more evidence than you currently do fairly easily, and USCIS won't consider your current justification as a good enough excuse for not having some of these things.  You should consider getting at least some of the utilities in your wife's name.  It's not difficult - some utility companies only allow one name, but in that case you can show some in your name and some in her name for the same address during the same time period.  Same with home insurance and car insurance - even if her name isn't on the mortgage, car loan, or deeds, she can be added to the insurance with minimal hassle.

Other things to consider include phone bills, life insurance, health insurance, and wills.

Edited by Hawksquill

August 20, 2016 ----> May 5, 2021

1,720 days ----> 4 years, 8 months, and 16 days

DONE with our visa journey and USCIS!

K1:

Spoiler

8/20/2016: I-129F packet mailed
10/20/2016: NOA2

1/20/2017: Interview (approved!)

2/20/2017: POE Philadelphia

3/18/2017: Wedding!

Adjustment of Status:

Spoiler

5/11/2017:  I-485, I-131, and I-765 packets mailed to Chicago lockbox

5/18/2017: NOA

5/30/2017:  Biometrics completed (walk-in, East Hartford, CT ASC)

8/2017-9/2017: Three service requests and case request to Congresswoman submitted for I-765

10/7/2017:  EAD/AP combo card received 

12/14/2017: Interview!

12/30/2017: GC received

Removal of Conditions: 

Spoiler

9/16/2019: Packet mailed to Dallas lockbox

9/23/2019: NOA date

10/24/2019: Biometrics completed (East Hartford, CT ASC) 

8/18/2020: Case approved

9/8/2020: GC in hand!

Citizenship:

Spoiler

9/17/2020: N-400 filed online

9/25/2020: Hard copy NOA received

11/12/2020: Biometrics reuse notice on USCIS account

3/19/2021: Email notification that USCIS has taken action on our case

3/31/2021: Interview notice

5/5/2021: Interview in Lawrence, MA (our field office is Hartford, CT)

5/5/2021: Approval and same day oath ceremony due to COVID-19!

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Hawksquill said:

If you really don't have much at all, you should explain it in the cover letter.  But also, it sounds like you could have more evidence than you currently do fairly easily, and USCIS won't consider your current justification as a good enough excuse for not having some of these things.  You should consider getting at least some of the utilities in your wife's name.  It's not difficult - some utility companies only allow one name, but in that case you can show some in your name and some in her name for the same address during the same time period.  Same with home insurance and car insurance - even if her name isn't on the mortgage, car loan, or deeds, she can be added to the insurance with minimal hassle.

Other things to consider include phone bills, life insurance, health insurance, and wills.

We do have both names on car insurance, health insurance, her being listed on my retirement accounts as beneficiary. She currently works for an agency which doesn't provide benefits or health/life insurance so it DOES seem like the info is kind of one-sided, though. All this can be explained if and when the interview is scheduled. Like many posters have said before me, send what you have and, if called for the interview, just tell the truth and don't stress.

2 minutes ago, Tech66 said:

We do have both names on car insurance, health insurance, her being listed on my retirement accounts as beneficiary. She currently works for an agency which doesn't provide benefits or health/life insurance so it DOES seem like the info is kind of one-sided, though. All this can be explained if and when the interview is scheduled. Like many posters have said before me, send what you have and, if called for the interview, just tell the truth and don't stress.

That's good.  Your original post didn't mention those things, so I thought you were asking whether you needed to explain why you didn't have them. It sounds like you have quite a lot in both your names, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

August 20, 2016 ----> May 5, 2021

1,720 days ----> 4 years, 8 months, and 16 days

DONE with our visa journey and USCIS!

K1:

Spoiler

8/20/2016: I-129F packet mailed
10/20/2016: NOA2

1/20/2017: Interview (approved!)

2/20/2017: POE Philadelphia

3/18/2017: Wedding!

Adjustment of Status:

Spoiler

5/11/2017:  I-485, I-131, and I-765 packets mailed to Chicago lockbox

5/18/2017: NOA

5/30/2017:  Biometrics completed (walk-in, East Hartford, CT ASC)

8/2017-9/2017: Three service requests and case request to Congresswoman submitted for I-765

10/7/2017:  EAD/AP combo card received 

12/14/2017: Interview!

12/30/2017: GC received

Removal of Conditions: 

Spoiler

9/16/2019: Packet mailed to Dallas lockbox

9/23/2019: NOA date

10/24/2019: Biometrics completed (East Hartford, CT ASC) 

8/18/2020: Case approved

9/8/2020: GC in hand!

Citizenship:

Spoiler

9/17/2020: N-400 filed online

9/25/2020: Hard copy NOA received

11/12/2020: Biometrics reuse notice on USCIS account

3/19/2021: Email notification that USCIS has taken action on our case

3/31/2021: Interview notice

5/5/2021: Interview in Lawrence, MA (our field office is Hartford, CT)

5/5/2021: Approval and same day oath ceremony due to COVID-19!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Hawksquill said:

That's good.  Your original post didn't mention those things, so I thought you were asking whether you needed to explain why you didn't have them. It sounds like you have quite a lot in both your names, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Thanks, that makes me feel more relieved. I know there are so many variables to getting approved like the actual agent reviewing our files or the interviewing agent. They are people, too and have things going on in their lives, just as we all do. Obviously, we all have to go through this process and, for the ones who are just about to file for ROC, the tension runs a little high. Being prepared is probably the best that any of us can hope for...in ANY situation

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I think you will be ok.  You are not alone, either.  Our house is in MY name only, as I purchased it long before I met my spouse.  The only "utility" that has her name on it is the cell phone bill.  Only ONE of the cars has both of our names on the title, but none of them have her on the registration.  But we are both on the car insurance and the house insurance.

It will help to line out the info about the fact that she had no credit record, and therefore you financed the car in your name only in your cover letter.  We outlined the house/utility issue in our cover letter, and we had NO problems.

We did have Christmas cards, wedding invitations and thank you notes that had been addressed to us both...plus airline boarding passes and pictures of us with additional family in very familiar places such as the CN Tower in Toronto, Top of the Rock in Manhattan, etc.  I threw in our library cards, our gym membership cards and our AAA membership cards for good measure.  Oh, and wills and medical powers of attorney.

Best of luck.  I think you will be fine!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sukie said:

I think you will be ok.  You are not alone, either.  Our house is in MY name only, as I purchased it long before I met my spouse.  The only "utility" that has her name on it is the cell phone bill.  Only ONE of the cars has both of our names on the title, but none of them have her on the registration.  But we are both on the car insurance and the house insurance.

It will help to line out the info about the fact that she had no credit record, and therefore you financed the car in your name only in your cover letter.  We outlined the house/utility issue in our cover letter, and we had NO problems.

We did have Christmas cards, wedding invitations and thank you notes that had been addressed to us both...plus airline boarding passes and pictures of us with additional family in very familiar places such as the CN Tower in Toronto, Top of the Rock in Manhattan, etc.  I threw in our library cards, our gym membership cards and our AAA membership cards for good measure.  Oh, and wills and medical powers of attorney.

Best of luck.  I think you will be fine!

Sukie in NY

Thanks, Sukie. Sounds very similar to our situation. Helps to hear about real-life experiences and outcomes. your reply is greatly appreciated, as are all who have helped us over the years

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.