bandito

Knightsbridge Medical Experience (history of self harm)

6 posts in this topic

I've seen a lot of 'Kightsbridge experience' posts lately, as well as many questions about what to expect and what to bring when you've had past mental health issues, so I thought I'd provide some insight as I had my medical this week. Also, if anyone has any advice they're willing to share that would be hugely beneficial for me and I'm sure many others.

I have experienced depression and anxiety in the past and struggled with self harm prior to getting help in the form of medication and therapy, so per VisaJourney's advice I requested a letter from my doctor. I asked for the letter to detail my mental health history and include the dates that my treatment including medication began and ended. After constantly calling for weeks and asking for the letter ASAP, I finally received it on October 9th. The letter said: "I can confirm that (my name) is a patient of mine and since July 2018 she has not had any treatment/medication for symptoms of anxiety or depression. She feels that she does not at present represent any ongoing risk to herself or others. I enclose a brief summary of her notes including past medication prescribed." (THIS WAS NOT ENOUGH)

So, after weeks of waiting I am now eager to book the medical. I call up Knightsbridge and ask for the soonest appointment they have which turned out to be the next day (October 10th). Brilliant, I book my train tickes to London, print the remaining documents and pack everything in my backpack for the big day. There are so many posts detailing the journey, the local coffee shops, the best route from Euston (I was early so opted to walk), and what happens at the medical itself, so I will try to only provide the information I haven't seen posted (at least not much). 

The part applicable to mental health is the meeting/medical examination with the Panel Physician. As soon as I walked into the room she told me she would have to ask me some further questions about my past mental health issues. She asked me to explain it all (symptoms, self harm, treatment) in my own words, then asked me if I am or ever have been suicidal, am harming or have harmed myself, am harming or have harmed other etc. She then looked over my letter from my doctor and explained that while I was on the right track by asking for the letter prior to the medical, the letter needed to include more detail about my past with self harm. At this point she gave me a letter to give to my doctor (or pass on the information in my own letter). The said that my doctor should provide a 'brief medial report' outlining my diagnosis, treatment, duration of illness, other mental illnesses, incidents of self harm, harm to others or suicide attempts, prognosis and opinion of current mental state. (I will upload a copy of the letter for those interested in seeing the whole thing)

I was told that I should scan and email the letter from my Doctor once it is completed, and once that is done they will send my medical files to the Embassy. So, I finished the medical, paid the £350 fee and caught the train home. I went straight to my GP the following morning (October 11th) to request an EDIT to my inital letter (very clever way to word it, they didn't charge me this time - I have the Panel Physician to that amazing advice!) Now I'm waiting for the new letter.. God knows how long it will take this time. At least I haven't booked my interview at the Embassy yet!

Any advice? Similar stories? Feel free to share as not only do I need some reassurance and tips right now but I'm sure other people would fins it beneficial.

IMG_3842.jpg

That’s really helpful, I’ve suffered from depression and anxiety, and I knew I’d have to get a letter to cover it in more detail, but to see the exact things they need in it is very useful.

Hopefully you won’t be waiting too long did your “amended” letter from your GP and you’ll be able to get your interview booked ASAP 

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds kind of familiar. My husband went for his medical in mid September and they asked basically the same stuff (i know that letter you have!). He deals with depression too, but has done amazingly well in the last few years and not sought additional help. He's never self harmed. VM were reeeeeeallllly digging for more detail once they discussed the depression. Even asked him about a scar on his arm that is 20 years old (just a scar...not self inflicted) and suddenly they needed a letter back from his GP discussing any episodes of self harm. I'm sure his GP was like "what are they talking about". 

I haven't seen much about this in the past on the forum. I'm wondering if there's some new sort of thing where they have to pursue anxiety and depression(?)

We've submitted letter VM asked for today. Really praying that is the end of that and we can move on to the interview. 

48 minutes ago, alilbabba said:

I haven't seen much about this in the past on the forum. I'm wondering if there's some new sort of thing where they have to pursue anxiety and depression(?)

It's nothing new, although they may be more cautious lately (I don't follow UK well enough to state this as a fact) regarding substance abuse and self harm.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

36 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It's nothing new, although they may be more cautious lately (I don't follow UK well enough to state this as a fact) regarding substance abuse and self harm.

It's always been pretty much a given and recommended that if you have any history of mental illness, depression, or self harm that one brings a letter from their GP that states something about history and treatment and that it has the key wording ''the doctor feels the patient is not a threat to themselves or others''.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Very helpful. I was admitted to hospital for suicidal thoughts when I was 15, I wasn't feeling it per say but my mother was worried. I just hope that it will help me that I was so young and honestly just stressed with what was going on in my life. I was never prescribed any medication and I havent really seen a doctor in a long time, I voluntarily dropped out of CAMHS too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.