12 posts in this topic

My wife (currently) moved from to Canada to the US with a K-1 visa.  We are in the process of filing for AOS but want to get a vaccine waiver due to moral reasons or religious reasons..  Does anyone have any experiences or advice to share?  Thank you. 

Edited by David112233
Clarity

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
29 minutes ago, David112233 said:

My wife (currently) moved from to Canada to the US with a K-1 visa.  We are in the process of filing for AOS but want to get a vaccine waiver due to moral reasons or religious reasons..  Does anyone have any experiences or advice to share?  Thank you. 

I have a question.  What are your plans if the vaccine waiver is not approved ?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
47 minutes ago, David112233 said:

Please read this and the Q&A. Hope it helps. 

https://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/vaccination-requirements

Timeline

Here is some really good info:

http://myattorneyusa.com/waivers-of-vaccination-related-inadmissibility

Religious Belief or Moral Conviction Waiver

"The final waiver of section 212(a)(1)(A)(ii) inadmissibility is the “religious belief or moral conviction” waiver. Unlike the first two waivers, this waiver is not a blanket waiver. Instead, the applicant must file with the USCIS the Form I-601, with fee and in accordance with form instructions. Those seeking visas through consular processing must also apply for the waiver by filing the Form I-601 , as noted at 9 FAM 302.2-6(D)(1)(d), which directs consular officers to instruct applicants who may be eligible for a religious belief or moral conviction waiver of the vaccine requirement on how to file the application with the USCIS. However, if the applicant has other grounds of inadmissibility that cannot be waived, 9 FAM 302.2-6(D)(2) instructs consular officers to not advise applicants to file the Form I-601.

At 9 USCIS-PM C.9(E), the USCIS explains that if a USCIS officer notes that a required vaccine is missing and the applicant states that he or she has a religious or moral objection to the vaccine, the officer should notify the applicant of the possibility of a waiver and explain the basic waiver requirements. The officer should then issue an RFE for the waiver application.

The USCIS-PM sets forth the following three requirements for the religious belief or moral conviction waiver:

• 1. The applicant must be opposed to all vaccinations in any form.

An applicant may only be eligible for a section 212(g)(2)(C) waiver if he or she opposes vaccinations in all forms. The USCIS explains that the applicant cannot “pick and choose” among the vaccinations. In short, the applicant cannot obtain a waiver because he or she objects to certain vaccinations but is fine with other vaccinations.

The USCIS makes clear that the mere fact that the applicant has received certain vaccinations in the past does not necessitate the denial of a waiver. In this case, the USCIS officer is instructed to consider the reasons that the applicant provides for why he or she received the vaccinations in question. The USCIS states that a waiver may be approvable of the applicant establishes that his or her religious beliefs or moral convictions changed substantially since the vaccinations in question were administered. In the case of a child, a waiver may be approvable of the child received his or her vaccinations in an orphanage. The USCIS-PM makes clear that these two scenarios are only examples, and an officer is not precluded from considering other credible circumstances and accompanying evidence.

• 2. The objection must be based on religious or moral convictions.

The USCIS-PM instructs officers to balance the applicant's religious beliefs “against the benefit to society as a whole” provided by vaccination. The USCIS also instructs officers to “be mindful that vaccinations could offend certain persons' religious beliefs.” In total, it advises that this requirement “should be handled with sensitivity.”

• 3. The religious belief or moral conviction must be sincere.

The applicant is required to demonstrate that (1) “he or she holds the belief sincerely” and (2) “in subjective good faith of an adherent.”

The USCIS states that even if the “beliefs accurately reflect the applicant's ultimate conclusions about vaccinations, they must stem from religious and moral convictions, and must not have been framed in terms of a particular belief so as to gain … [the] waiver.” Here, the USCIS makes clear that the applicant's beliefs must be sincere and that the applicant's objection to the vaccines must stem from these beliefs rather than be tailored for purpose of obtaining a waiver.

In determining whether a belief is sufficient for the granting of a waiver, the USCIS should determine “whether that claimed belief or moral conviction is truly held, that is, whether it is applied consistently in the applicant's life.”

The USCIS made clear that the applicant need not “be a member of a recognized religious group or attend a specific house of worship.” This is because the statute refers to “religious beliefs” and not specific establishments.

The USCIS advised that “t is necessary to distinguish between strong religious beliefs or moral convictions and mere preference.” Here, the USCIS-PM makes clear that a mere “preference” to not receive vaccines is not sufficient grounds for a waiver. The USCIS defined a “religious belief” or “moral conviction” as a belief or conviction that has the “ability to cause an adherent to categorically disregard self-interest in favor of religious or moral tenets.”

To support an application for a religious belief or moral conviction waiver, the applicant may submit a sworn statement. The USCIS-PM states that the sworn statement should contain the following:

The exact nature of the religious beliefs or moral convictions; and How the religious beliefs or moral convictions would be compromised if the applicant were to comply with the vaccination requirements.

The applicant may also submit additional corroborating evidence, if available and credible, to support his or her claims. This may include, but is not limited to, evidence of “regular participation in a congregation … or evidence of regular volunteer work.

The applicant for the waiver bears the burden of establishing that he or she has a strong objection to vaccination based on his or her religious beliefs or moral convictions and not merely a preference against such vaccinations. The decision of whether to ultimately grant such a waiver is in the discretion of the USCIS officer. The USCIS-PM does instruct, however, that “[a] favorable exercise of discretion is generally warranted if the applicant establishes that he or she objects to the vaccination requirement on account of religious beliefs or moral convictions.”

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

It appears that the waiver is submitted after the interview (if the CO advises the applicant that a waiver is available).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

you will need to file the FORM 601 for the waiver and prove that you fit the criterion's for the waiver as mentioned by missileman. Even in the best case scenario that its approved, its very likely to delay the AOS process. it takes atleast a year for the 601 waiver to be processed, someone will correct it if i am wrong on the timeline for it :)

Edited by Bajinga

Timeline
2 minutes ago, David112233 said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Anyone have success stories? 

Here is one from 2105........you can see more by entering "vaccine waiver" in the search box of this web site:

1 hour ago, David112233 said:

Where did she do her medical in Canada?  I'm curious because it's the first time I read if a Canadian doctor releasing the medical without the vaccines.

10 hours ago, David112233 said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Anyone have success stories? 

Yes. Get vaccinated. I have a ton of success stories: thanks to vaccinations we no longer have numerous deaths due to polio, small pox, measles, mumps, rubella, etc.... Wake up, all of these anti-vaccine arguments are ridiculous. And thank you for risking my child for your "moral or religious" reasons. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
23 hours ago, David112233 said:

File the waiver request with the AOS package

The rest of my comments are withheld.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.