Jump to content
meow85meow

2-year residency or 10-year residency?

13 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello. I am the applicant living abroad while my husband (the petitioner/US Citizen) filed for me in the States. We got married May 2018. We were just informed that our case was created at NVC and we had submitted the AOS fee and IV fee payment yesterday. However, I have a question regarding the type of residency I will be granted. I understand that if the second anniversary of our marriage has passed at the time of visa approval, I will be granted a 10 year residency, while if the anniversary has not passed, it would be a 2 year conditional residency. My question is, when exactly does this second anniversary marker end?? Is it (i) when we filed the application (already passed; 2 year res.), (ii) when we have our interview (depending on how quickly we get documents ready, 2 year res. or 10 year res.), or (iii) when I enter the US (most likely 10 year res.)? I have asked MULTIPLE people and have gotten several different answers, so I would like to get some clarity on this issue (my lawyer says it is (i), a different forum says (iii), and when I did another Google search, an old VisaJourney thread said (ii):

 

Any and all help would be appreciated!!!! Thank you!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, meow85meow said:

I understand that if the second anniversary of our marriage has passed at the time of visa approval, I will be granted a 10 year residency, while if the anniversary has not passed, it would be a 2 year conditional residency.

Incorrect.   If you enter the US after two years of marriage you will receive a 10yr green card.  It has nothing to do with the issue date.

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, meow85meow said:

Hello. I am the applicant living abroad while my husband (the petitioner/US Citizen) filed for me in the States. We got married May 2018. We were just informed that our case was created at NVC and we had submitted the AOS fee and IV fee payment yesterday. However, I have a question regarding the type of residency I will be granted. I understand that if the second anniversary of our marriage has passed at the time of visa approval, I will be granted a 10 year residency, while if the anniversary has not passed, it would be a 2 year conditional residency. My question is, when exactly does this second anniversary marker end?? Is it (i) when we filed the application (already passed; 2 year res.), (ii) when we have our interview (depending on how quickly we get documents ready, 2 year res. or 10 year res.), or (iii) when I enter the US (most likely 10 year res.)? I have asked MULTIPLE people and have gotten several different answers, so I would like to get some clarity on this issue (my lawyer says it is (i), a different forum says (iii), and when I did another Google search, an old VisaJourney thread said (ii):

 

Any and all help would be appreciated!!!! Thank you!!!! 

Entry, entry, entry.  

 

 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Entry


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for confirming. One additional question - does anyone have any idea why people were basing the length of the marriage on the interview date in the thread below (albeit, it's from 2008, but still figure it's good to check)???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, meow85meow said:

Thanks everyone for confirming. One additional question - does anyone have any idea why people were basing the length of the marriage on the interview date in the thread below (albeit, it's from 2008, but still figure it's good to check)???

You've linked an Adjustment of Status, which takes place inside the US. 

Not relevant to your case, since you've applied from abroad.

 

They're different procedures. 

 

Edited by Melc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, meow85meow said:

Thanks everyone for confirming. One additional question - does anyone have any idea why people were basing the length of the marriage on the interview date in the thread below (albeit, it's from 2008, but still figure it's good to check)???

Green card interview date is very different than entry on an immigrant Visa 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, it’s important to make a distinction here between AOS, adjusting status to that of a permanent resident, which takes place inside the US, 

and the spousal visa (ir1/cr1) where you live abroad and become a permanent resident upon entry. 

In the case of the latter, what matters is the date you become a permanent resident; i.e., the date of entry into the US. If this is after your second anniversary, you are entitled to an unconditional greencard. 
 

if you are issued a conditional greencard by mistake after having entered after your 2-year anniversary, you should file an i-90, without paying a fee, since you were issued a conditional greencard by mistake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SandraLee said:

Hey according to my lawyer it’s the second year of your wedding anniversary and if you are approved after that it’s a 10year not 2 year conditional green card!

Not quite right. I hope you’re not paying the lawyer much. It’s based on the date of your entry into the United States, not the date your visa is approved it issued. 

 

Using the OP’s dates, let’s say her wedding date is May 15, 2018. If she arrives here on or after May 15, 2020 she will receive a 10-year GC. If she arrives here on May 14, 2020 or before, she will receive a 2-year conditional card and have to go through the removal of conditions circus.  


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JFH said:

Not quite right. I hope you’re not paying the lawyer much. It’s based on the date of your entry into the United States, not the date your visa is approved it issued. 

 

Using the OP’s dates, let’s say her wedding date is May 15, 2018. If she arrives here on or after May 15, 2020 she will receive a 10-year GC. If she arrives here on May 14, 2020 or before, she will receive a 2-year conditional card and have to go through the removal of conditions circus.  

Yes correct I see your point I’m just saying you still need to be married two years to the date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...