MagentaLife

Divorced and Citizenship under 5 year rule - Please read my story and hlep

16 posts in this topic

Hello

I entered United States November 2014 on K1 Visa And got the 2 year green card in August 2015. Applied for ROC in May 2017 and I751 got approved in July 2018.

I was eligible to apply for Citizenship under 3 year rule in May 2018 but we were in moving process so I decided to apply after I get settle in new state. Meantime me and my wife have been having issues for more than a year. We moved to texas right after I751 approved in July 2018. After few months I applied for Citizenship under 3 year rule in November 2018 and in just 1 month I received Interview date was scheduled on January 22 2019. 

Right before the interview me and my wife have had huge arguments and decided to end the marriege. Since she left my house I did not have her Citizenship certificate to take with me to interview. 

I appeared at the interview and been very honest with officer. I told him my situation and asked him If i was not eligible under 3 year rule than i would like to withdraw my application. Officer was nice. He still took my test and told me I passed the test but He will not deny my application. Either he will send me Oath letter or If i m not eligible he will withdraw my application. Couple of days after My application got withdrawn and We got divorced legally in May 2019.  I believe I can apply under five year rule and I will be eligible to apply in May 2020. I have booked the tickets to go india and get married in Feb 2020 right before I will apply for naturalization. So below are my few questions. 

1. How will my application for Naturalization under 5 year rule be affected since i m divorced? 

2. Can I go India and get married before naturalization? If i get married does it affect my eligibility or my application?

3. Is it best for me to get naturalized before getting married? 

Please advice me. Thank you so much in advance. 

1. It won’t.

2. Yes you can go to India. Being re-married doesn’t affect anything with regard to citizenship. 

3. Makes no difference to citizenship. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
12 hours ago, Ejazsaiyed said:

Hello

I entered United States November 2014 on K1 Visa And got the 2 year green card in August 2015. Applied for ROC in May 2017 and I751 got approved in July 2018.

I was eligible to apply for Citizenship under 3 year rule in May 2018 but we were in moving process so I decided to apply after I get settle in new state. Meantime me and my wife have been having issues for more than a year. We moved to texas right after I751 approved in July 2018. After few months I applied for Citizenship under 3 year rule in November 2018 and in just 1 month I received Interview date was scheduled on January 22 2019. 

Right before the interview me and my wife have had huge arguments and decided to end the marriege. Since she left my house I did not have her Citizenship certificate to take with me to interview. 

I appeared at the interview and been very honest with officer. I told him my situation and asked him If i was not eligible under 3 year rule than i would like to withdraw my application. Officer was nice. He still took my test and told me I passed the test but He will not deny my application. Either he will send me Oath letter or If i m not eligible he will withdraw my application. Couple of days after My application got withdrawn and We got divorced legally in May 2019.  I believe I can apply under five year rule and I will be eligible to apply in May 2020. I have booked the tickets to go india and get married in Feb 2020 right before I will apply for naturalization. So below are my few questions. 

1. How will my application for Naturalization under 5 year rule be affected since i m divorced? 

2. Can I go India and get married before naturalization? If i get married does it affect my eligibility or my application?

Please advice me. Thank you so much in advance. 

Not sure the difference of green card getting married and bring the wife to USA and citizen getting married and bring the wife to USA?

16 hours ago, Ejazsaiyed said:

1. Your naturalization application will not be affected by the divorce. But bring your divorce decree as they might want to see it

2. You can go anytime. Just make sure not to break residence as that might actually affect your eligibility. Marriage does not effect your eligibility however.

3. You can get naturalized and get married in any order you want.

Now, keep in mind you cannot apply for the new wife until you've been an LPR for 5 years. You can start the application once you meet the 5 year residency requirement and later upgrade the petition once you become a USC. 

4 hours ago, little immigrant said:

1. Your naturalization application will not be affected by the divorce. But bring your divorce decree as they might want to see it

2. You can go anytime. Just make sure not to break residence as that might actually affect your eligibility. Marriage does not effect your eligibility however.

3. You can get naturalized and get married in any order you want.

Now, keep in mind you cannot apply for the new wife until you've been an LPR for 5 years. You can start the application once you meet the 5 year residency requirement and later upgrade the petition once you become a USC. 

Thank you everyone for the response. So basically my 5 years will hit in August 2020 and than I will be able to apply for I130. That’s good to know. Thank you once again. 

Wait, you got divorced a few months ago and you already have a new wife lined up?  One that I presume you want to sponsor for a green card?

hmmm

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
5 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Wait, you got divorced a few months ago and you already have a new wife lined up?  One that I presume you want to sponsor for a green card?

hmmm

May be fall in love has no proper time line.  It will take time for him to bring his wife or fiance to US.  So by then , it will be more than a year of divorced and hopefully, he will heal by that time.  

4 minutes ago, dilip said:

May be fall in love has no proper time line.  It will take time for him to bring his wife or fiance to US.  So by then , it will be more than a year of divorced and hopefully, he will heal by that time.  

5 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

hmmm

I have not found anyone yet but hoping to find a life partner before india trip due to family circumstances and my parents health issues! Also as dilip mentioned it gonna take almost two years for my wife to be here. 

1 hour ago, Ejazsaiyed said:

I have not found anyone yet but hoping to find a life partner before india trip due to family circumstances and my parents health issues! Also as dilip mentioned it gonna take almost two years for my wife to be here. 

Um..... ok. I can’t even pretend to understand this reasoning, and how you plan to marry someone in February but you don’t know who yet, but good luck. 

Let's all be mindful that not everybody has exposure to the rich cultural tapestries that exist in the world.

That doesn't mean anyone is ignorant, just not aware of it.... yet.

nice choice of comedic medium to enlighten others... informative with a chuckle!

8 hours ago, afrocraft said:

Haven't you heard of arranged marriages? 

Yes of course I have, I even have cousins who have them, but this is the first time I’ve heard anyone mention parent health issues as a reason for one. Live and learn, huh?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
19 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Um..... ok. I can’t even pretend to understand this reasoning, and how you plan to marry someone in February but you don’t know who yet, but good luck. 

MegentaLife posted honestly  about his situation in this board to get immigration related help.  Le'st help him what ever way we can related to immigration only ( my opinion )

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.