Voice of Reason

Beto O'Rourke says women should be able to choose abortion even the day before birth

78 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
On 9/5/2019 at 3:54 PM, Ben & Katy said:

Who are we to tell women what to do with their bodies?

Is this a serious question? We're a society, that's who we are.

I would be much more sympathetic to this cause if women were simply more careful to begin with. Start there, and then let's talk.

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

17 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

Is this a serious question? We're a society, that's who we are.

I would be much more sympathetic to this cause if women were simply more careful to begin with. Start there, and then let's talk.

Are we REALLY going to go down this road again, the "women should just keep an aspirin between their knees" mentality? But I'll bite. Suppose women were "simply more careful" (whatever that is supposed to mean) and they still get pregnant -- BC fails. Every kind can fail, even when used properly. What then? Why should a woman's life be changed in a way she does not want even when she does everything "right"? Why should she be told she HAS to bear a child in those circumstances?

Again, babies do not form without involvement of a male. Perhaps men should be more careful and involve themselves elsewhere. Perhaps men should also stop raping women, and perhaps men should take responsibility and assist to raise the children they create. This would all significantly contribute to less abortions.. I hope that the uncareful men of the species step up in this regard someday soon...

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

11 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Again, babies do not form without involvement of a male. Perhaps men should be more careful and involve themselves elsewhere. Perhaps men should also stop raping women, and perhaps men should take responsibility and assist to raise the children they create. This would all significantly contribute to less abortions.. I hope that the uncareful men of the species step up in this regard someday soon...

Thank you. The way some people talk you'd think that this country was full of immaculate conceptions. 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

I'm on record as saying men should be more careful. I shouldn't have to repeat it in every other conversation. But I say again: it is women who have the abortions, not men. We're not talking about men choosing abortion, we're talking about women choosing it. If women want the right, they should also take responsibility.

5 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Thank you. The way some people talk you'd think that this country was full of immaculate conceptions. 

Please reconcile for me the demand that women have the right to an abortion, and that men should not have a say in it, but that men should also be held just as responsible as the women. It's daft.

-

4 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Perhaps it is. Sometimes I wonder if schools stopped teaching basic anatomy or sex-ed.. or like anything. I mean I know parents in general do a dreadful job of explaining.. I hope newer generations try and do better with that sort of thing, before the youngins' get crazy ideas. Parental and church blame n' shame also do contribute to many youth abortions.. so there's work to be done there too. Statistically it's going down, so that's always a good thing. Beto doesn't know much either...  which is why he has a snowballs chance at being president.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

1 minute ago, Boris Farage said:

I'm on record as saying men should be more careful. I shouldn't have to repeat it in every other conversation. But I say again: it is women who have the abortions, not men. We're not talking about men choosing abortion, we're talking about women choosing it. If women want the right, they should also take responsibility.

Please reconcile for me the demand that women have the right to an abortion, and that men should not have a say in it, but that men should also be held just as responsible as the women. It's daft.

Let's look at it this way, shall we? A man chooses an abortion (statistically) every time they rape a woman and every time they abandon a woman without taking responsibility for their actions. No babies formed, no abortions chosen.

5 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

Maybe it's the wine I had earlier (I'm now in the back of my friend's car, driving to Glendale) but let me put it to you this way, Boris. What if you and that "lady from the North" you have spoken of a couple of times (apparently the ONLY Scottish object or person you can stand) took EVERY precaution and she got pregnant anyway, and she had no interest in bearing your child? I don't mean that personally, like you would not be a good dad, I mean like... she just doesn't want to be a mom. It's not in the cards for her. Would you REALLY feel that you had a right to a say in whether she has an abortion? Why is your opinion worth more when it's her body on the line? I just feel really strongly about this, sorry.

Timeline
1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

Let's look at it this way, shall we? A man chooses an abortion (statistically) every time they rape a woman and every time they abandon a woman without taking responsibility for their actions. No babies formed, no abortions chosen.

Men should be more responsible by not raping as much?  I'll get right on that, and tell my raping friends to perhaps tone it down a bit. Men who choose to rape (although is it a choice?) are not choosing abortion. They're choosing rape. They're not thinking beyond that.  I think we can all agree rape is an an outlier. So why even bring it up? (women rape too, by the way)

As for the rest of it, I think it is very bad form indeed for a man to shirk his responsibility to a female who has gotten herself with child. But if you want to simultaneously hold him responsible and demand the sole right to an abortion, then the man being held responsible should at least have veto power.

-

Timeline
5 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Maybe it's the wine I had earlier (I'm now in the back of my friend's car, driving to Glendale) but let me put it to you this way, Boris. What if you and that "lady from the North" you have spoken of a couple of times (apparently the ONLY Scottish object or person you can stand) took EVERY precaution and she got pregnant anyway, and she had no interest in bearing your child? I don't mean that personally, like you would not be a good dad, I mean like... she just doesn't want to be a mom. It's not in the cards for her. Would you REALLY feel that you had a right to a say in whether she has an abortion? Why is your opinion worth more when it's her body on the line? I just feel really strongly about this, sorry.

In this very fictional scenario, of course I feel I should have veto power. The child bears half my DNA. Why shouldn't I be allowed a voice?

Let us change the situation. Let's say my lovely lady wanted to keep the child, but I wanted her to abort. But because it's her so-called right, my voice is silent. And then guess what? She comes after me for child support. How is that even remotely fair?

-

Just now, Boris Farage said:

Men should be more responsible by not raping as much?  I'll get right on that, and tell my raping friends to perhaps tone it down a bit. Men who choose to rape (although is it a choice?) are not choosing abortion. They're choosing rape. They're not thinking beyond that.  I think we can all agree rape is an an outlier. So why even bring it up? (women rape too, by the way)

As for the rest of it, I think it is very bad form indeed for a man to shirk his responsibility to a female who has gotten herself with child. But if you want to simultaneously hold him responsible and demand the sole right to an abortion, then the man being held responsible should at least have veto power.

Rape is a violation of bodily autonomy. A rapist chooses abortion because that is one of the most likely consequence of a child resulting from rape. And no, they won't be thinking beyond that, but that doesn't really matter does it? When a person is drinking and driving they aren't concerned with the consequences and don't think beyond their own selfish stupidity.

And it is bad form for a man to shirk his responsibility in helping to create a life and then absolving himself of further consequences of his actions. If he has chosen abandonment, then he obviously cares very little for the life for the mother and survival of that child to begin with.

In short - don't have the sex, and you won't create babies, then you don't have anything to worry about. So many potential babies saved!

1 minute ago, Boris Farage said:

In this very fictional scenario, of course I feel I should have veto power. The child bears half my DNA. Why shouldn't I be allowed a voice?

Let us change the situation. Let's say my lovely lady wanted to keep the child, but I wanted her to abort. But because it's her so-called right, my voice is silent. And then guess what? She comes after me for child support. How is that even remotely fair?

It's only money if she "comes after you" after insisting on keeping the child. If you insist on keeping the child and she doesn't want it, it is a violation of her bodily autonomy, and thereis no price on that. 

Timeline

It's just this simple: if you want to hold the man responsible, then he gets a say. If he doesn't get a say, then you don't get to hold him responsible. That seems fair.

-

Timeline
1 minute ago, laylalex said:

If you insist on keeping the child and she doesn't want it, it is a violation of her bodily autonomy, and thereis no price on that. 

It's a convenient way of saying you want all the rights, but want the man to have all the responsibility.

-

12 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

It's a convenient way of saying you want all the rights, but want the man to have all the responsibility.

I am not saying that a man should NOT have an opinion on this topic but I AM saying that his opinon should not override that of the woman who is ultimately the one who has to go through childbirth which is after all more dangerous than abortion. And who is saying that the man has all the responsibility? What, the woman has no responsibility in raising the child?