VMikaele

Can my husband move with me to the US while we wait for I-130 approval?

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently submitted a petition to bring my husband to the US but we are both currently living in his home country, New Zealand. We intended to live here til we got approval and the spouse visa sorted, but I realize that could take very long. I'm currently looking at visas I can apply for to stay in NZ longer, but that's a whole other process, but much easier than the US for sure! So I am thinking of other options as I want to move home to Hawai'i, especially if we have a baby. But I obviously won't move without my husband. So I am curious as to what our options are. What visas can he apply for? How long would it take to get a visa? How will it affect our I-130? Should I just stick it out and apply for a visa here in NZ?

As far as sponsorship, my parents have agreed to sponsor him because I financially won't be able to until we move back to Hawai'i and start working again. 

Any advice is appreciated :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, VMikaele said:

Hi,

I recently submitted a petition to bring my husband to the US but we are both currently living in his home country, New Zealand. We intended to live here til we got approval and the spouse visa sorted, but I realize that could take very long. I'm currently looking at visas I can apply for to stay in NZ longer, but that's a whole other process, but much easier than the US for sure! So I am thinking of other options as I want to move home to Hawai'i, especially if we have a baby. But I obviously won't move without my husband. So I am curious as to what our options are. What visas can he apply for? How long would it take to get a visa? How will it affect our I-130? Should I just stick it out and apply for a visa here in NZ?

As far as sponsorship, my parents have agreed to sponsor him because I financially won't be able to until we move back to Hawai'i and start working again. 

Most obvious is what you have already started.   There is no such thing as a "temporary residence while I wait for the petition" visa

YMMV

23 minutes ago, VMikaele said:

Hi,

I should clarify that I am not looking for some kind of temporary residency visa, I just want to know if there's a visa worth applying for to bring him to Hawai'i with me til the petition is approved. I understand that he won't be able to work.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

He can travel to the US via VWP or a B2 tourist visa. After allowable length of stay, he must return to NZ and finish the immigrant visa processing there. 

Edited by apple21
Edit

Once the I130 has been filed getting a temp visa gets more difficult....unless you stay in Nz be prepared for time apart......I’m in Nz hubby is in USA...our i130 Took 261 days for approval.....good luck with everything.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am a US citizen currently living with Irish Husband in NZ. We are on day 300 of waiting for our NOA2. So the process is long and there doesnt seem to really be any other option. Just a lot of waiting.

He can try to obtain a B-2 visa (which allows a potentially longer period of authorized stay than the ESTA), but it may be difficult to get with a pending immigrant visa petition.  

Auckland is not a difficult consulate though.  My husband got his B-2 (pre-K-1 filing) despite the dire warnings here on VJ that it wouldn’t be granted due to being from a VWP country.   

Kia Ora!

Edited by Jorgedig

Just note that if a B-2 visa is denied, any existing ESTA needs to be updated and will very likely be denied as a result too. So risk/reward...is it worth risking not being able to visit at all?

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

A bit off topic but if you're planning on having a baby do it while in NZ. You're covered under the baby having a NZ father so it'll be free :) MUCH cheaper and the midwife care is amazing here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.