Hemutian

Should my fiancee bring ONE or TWO copies of my Affidavit of Support (+ related evidence) to interview?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Darnell said:

copy vs original vs ? 

The I-134 itself must be original, with original signature . 

The rest of it can be copies. 

The papers submitted at the window will walk behind the scenes, ultimately in the interviewer's hands for final review before the actual interview step. 

Gotcha. My question wasn't copy vs originals. My question was 1 copy vs. 2 copies. 

I-134 is original, with my wet signature. 

Plan's to provide one copy of each tax transcript and tax return for the window, and a 2nd copy of just the tax transcript with income highlighted and stickied for fiancee to take to interview and point to when CO asks about my income. 

On 8/19/2019 at 11:01 AM, Hemutian said:

Gotcha. My question wasn't copy vs originals. My question was 1 copy vs. 2 copies. 

I-134 is original, with my wet signature. 

Plan's to provide one copy of each tax transcript and tax return for the window, and a 2nd copy of just the tax transcript with income highlighted and stickied for fiancee to take to interview and point to when CO asks about my income. 

Doubt the CO will ask about your income. Once the documents are collected at the intake they will go into your file and be available for the CO to see. I don't know why they would ask your fiancee any questions about your income. The documents provided should speak for themselves (i.e., the CO can read the affidavit of support form and tax transcripts themselves without any need to ask your fiancee).

Timeline
5 hours ago, samnrong said:

Doubt the CO will ask about your income. Once the documents are collected at the intake they will go into your file and be available for the CO to see. I don't know why they would ask your fiancee any questions about your income. The documents provided should speak for themselves (i.e., the CO can read the affidavit of support form and tax transcripts themselves without any need to ask your fiancee).

Hope so, but since my situation is kind of unusual (i.e currently unemployed, but have significant income from dividends and capital gains) figured they might ask about it. I've read a lot of peoples' interview experiences, and while most don't ask about this, it appears that it is occasionally something that is asked so best my fiancee be prepared in that event.

1 minute ago, Hemutian said:

Hope so, but since my situation is kind of unusual (i.e currently unemployed, but have significant income from dividends and capital gains) figured they might ask about it. I've read a lot of peoples' interview experiences, and while most don't ask about this, it appears that it is occasionally something that is asked so best my fiancee be prepared in that event.

Never hurts to over prepare.

Timeline

Since I started this thread, and as of today my fiancee has finished her interview (and passed!), I just wanted to bring some closure to this thread.

I did end up having her bring two copies of the Affidavit of Support. One as the official copy submitted at the window, and a second, backup copy that she took with her to the interview, just in case she needed to refer to it during the interview.

So it turns out that she did not need the second copy at all. The interviewer very much had the original copy in his possession at the time of the interview, and in fact spent about half the interview time studying it with his two colleagues. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 8/26/2019 at 7:39 AM, Hemutian said:

Since I started this thread, and as of today my fiancee has finished her interview (and passed!).

Congratulations.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:39 AM, Hemutian said:

Since I started this thread, and as of today my fiancee has finished her interview (and passed!), I just wanted to bring some closure to this thread.

I did end up having her bring two copies of the Affidavit of Support. One as the official copy submitted at the window, and a second, backup copy that she took with her to the interview, just in case she needed to refer to it during the interview.

So it turns out that she did not need the second copy at all. The interviewer very much had the original copy in his possession at the time of the interview, and in fact spent about half the interview time studying it with his two colleagues. 

Congrats on the K1.

For future searches, the I-129F submitted must be a wet ink original (keep a copy or two, of course).  As for supporting evidence the instructions are clear:

"Submit in duplicate evidence of income and resources, as appropriate"  So you would keep the originals, but would have two copies of your proof (transcripts, W2, assets).

I'm guessing most people never even looked at a tax transcript.  Its just a very easy to read/OCR printout of the tax forms.  Exact same information, just without all the fancy formatting.

Also you only need ONE year.  Again, the Instructions are clear:

A(2) Total amount deposited for the past year

C(1) Copy of last income tax return filed

But D is the kicker:

D. List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s).  That means all that you are using for assets.  In duplicate.  YIKES!

Also, the I-129F is the general form, Consulates have thier own specifics:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/GUZ-Guangzhou.html#pre_interview_checklist

For returning residents (SB-1), diversity visa (DV), and fiancé (K1): The sponsor or petitioner who will financially support you should complete a Form I-134 and provide a copy of his/her IRS-issued tax transcript and all supporting financial documents needed to verify the income reported on his or her tax returns - i.e. W-2 form, 1099-MISC form, proof of rental income, proof of business income, proof of social security benefits, etc. for the latest year available OR a statement of why the petitioner did not file federal taxes. If your sponsor does not meet poverty income guidelines, you will need to find a joint sponsor and have them submit a Form I-134, IRS-issued tax transcript, and all supporting financial documents.

Notice at no point does it say tax return, only tax transcript.  Yes, they both have the same information, but the transcript is specifically requested and just plain easier to read (and OCR).

Will the IO accept a tax return?  Evidently so.  Its the same information.

Timeline
5 hours ago, visafrompa said:

Congrats on the K1.

Thanks

For future searches, the I-129F submitted must be a wet ink original (keep a copy or two, of course).  As for supporting evidence the instructions are clear:

"Submit in duplicate evidence of income and resources, as appropriate"  So you would keep the originals, but would have two copies of your proof (transcripts, W2, assets).

Wow, I did not see those instructions. I submitted one copy, not duplicate copies, and it was fine.

But D is the kicker:

D. List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s).  That means all that you are using for assets.  In duplicate.  YIKES!

Also did not see or submit this. Did not even realize that stocks have serial numbers. Or is that just for bonds? Don't have any bonds, so maybe this doesn't apply to me. 

Notice at no point does it say tax return, only tax transcript.  Yes, they both have the same information, but the transcript is specifically requested and just plain easier to read (and OCR).

For our consulate (Guangzhou) , the instructions do specifically request *tax returns* (in addition to *tax transcripts*) for self-employed persons such as myself. But as you said, these instructions vary from consulate to consulate.

21 hours ago, Hemutian said:

For our consulate (Guangzhou) , the instructions do specifically request *tax returns* (in addition to *tax transcripts*) for self-employed persons such as myself. But as you said, these instructions vary from consulate to consulate.

If you read my post I stated:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/GUZ-Guangzhou.html#pre_interview_checklist

For returning residents (SB-1), diversity visa (DV), and fiancé (K1): The sponsor or petitioner who will financially support you should complete a Form I-134 and provide a copy of his/her IRS-issued tax transcript and all supporting financial documents needed to verify the income reported on his or her tax returns - i.e. W-2 form, 1099-MISC form, proof of rental income, proof of business income, proof of social security benefits, etc. for the latest year available OR a statement of why the petitioner did not file federal taxes. If your sponsor does not meet poverty income guidelines, you will need to find a joint sponsor and have them submit a Form I-134, IRS-issued tax transcript, and all supporting financial documents.

The I-134 is is a general form.  The web site is SPECIFIC to that consulate.  The I-134 is used for many other visa types.  If your P3 says tax returns I'd like to see it.

Also, if you read the FAM (have you?  Have you read the FAM?  I have).  Its pretty interesting when you realize that there is the real world, and the bureaucracy, seemly live in separate realities.

This really sticks out:

(3) (U) Use of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support:

(a) (U) Because INA 212(a)(4)(C) and INA 213A require the use of Form I-864 for so many classes of immigrants, the use of Form I-134, has been reduced considerably.

The I-134 is garbage.  It's not legally binding w/r/t (U) PUBLIC CHARGE - INA 212(A)(4)  like the I-864 is.  You sign the 846 and you have a legally binding contract that you will ensure that the immigrant will not become a public charge.  The I-134 is has no such meaning.

Will the IO accept tax returns in lieu of transcripts even is not (C)(1) Self employed?  We know they do.  But the 'more correct' answer is the Guangzhou consulate SPECIFICALLY requests tax transcripts.  But again, the transcripts are the exact same thing in easy to read format.

Are we done here??

Timeline

I didn't submit tax returns in lieu of tax transcripts. I submitted both.

Forgive me for seeing this in the instructions and assuming I should follow them:

1. If self-employed:
    (1)
    Copy of last income tax return filed; or (2) Report of commercial rating concern.

If my only crime was submitting more evidence than necessary I hardly see what all the fuss is about. Better to over-submit than under-submit. 

Edited by Hemutian

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread locked to further comments. The OP has updated this thread above.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.