Kevin131993

Got a second interview for citizenship

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
16 minutes ago, JFH said:

I think that’s it. I’ve just re-read his post and realized I mis-read that the wife was a USC. But he doesn’t say that. So it’s possible that’s she a Cuban LPR. 

Wondering if the extra interview with extra questions was because they thought he married for the GC. Only married 2 years. 

Too many unknowns to provide good feedback. 

Kevin: Sit down, take a deep breath, and explain to us your immigration history. Start from when you first entered the US. Specifics: Dates (you can use approximate dates to mask your case, but keep the pattern intact), class of visa, negative aspects of your immigration history, etc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
21 hours ago, Kevin131993 said:

"I came here to the us in 2012 , I married someone that I was in love with , got my green card for 10 years , everything went very smooth with immigration and with my interview . After 2 years of marriage I divorced , 3 years later I applied for citizenship and wait about a year to have my interview."

-First you don't specify if you entered the U.S. on a K-1 Visa (Fiancé visa) or if you came in here illegally (or overstayed a tourist visa) and then married the person.

-Second, I doubt they gave you a 10 year green card after just two years of marriage. I came here on a K-1 Visa and they gave me a CONDITIONAL 3 year green card first, and now I have filed the paperwork to remove those conditions after three years of proven valid marriage. Not saying you can't get a 10 year green card before that time in case the marriage has gone sour or if there was documented abuse involved, but again, it has to be proven, so something in your story is not adding up.

"I did very good for my interview and been accepted , got the letter for the oath ceremony . Until here everything is ok until I decided to reschedule my ceremony because I had to go back in my country because my father was very sick... I’ve been waiting for them to reschedule my ceremony and I got a letter for a new interview , I tough was a mistake but I still went there for this interview. As soon I got inside the room was 2 officers waiting for me to question me , the interview was approximately 1 hour and half asking me a lot of questions about my marriage , divorce , life style , address that I’ve been moving ... very stressful ! I don’t understand what was the reasons this happened to me .

I went to see my lawyer and He told me that my citizenship should be denied 99% sure and if they’re catching a fraud they can start to do a procedure of green card removal .

How this is possible ? 

Can they remove my green card if I worked illegally on the territory , thing that I always told them I didn’t ?"

- This definitely doesn't make any sense, unless you were filing for citizenship while waiting for the conditions to be removed on your green card? If this is not the case, then that's the reason it's been denied. There's a sort of loophole that allows you to apply for citizenship while the removal of conditions is in the process, the tricky part is that if your removal of conditions doesn't get approved, neither does your citizenship application, therefore, as soon as the first is denied, the second is as well and then you're in for removal proceedings.  

If that's the case, then it seems you jumped the shark before being absolutely sure that your green card for 10 years was actually approved (and not just in the process of it). Same reason why I haven't applied for citizenship myself,  because I wouldn't want to be in the position of paying for both and then for some odd reason being denied or asked for more proof of valid relationship. It's never happened to me before but still, better be safe than sorry.

-Now, about the green card, YES, THEY CAN REMOVE IT, it's not citizenship and it is subject to certain conditions on the person who obtains it. Now, again, what you said makes no sense, you've been working without the green card? Or was it before you obtained it? Either way, if they deem you marriage fraud, yes, they can remove it and they can remove you from the country as well, especially if you were here illegally prior to getting married.

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent: 2015-06-18

I-129F NOA1: 2015-06-26

NOA1 Hardcopy: 2015-07-02

NOA2: 2015-07-29

NOA2 Hardcopy: 2015-08-03

NVC Received: 2015-08-26

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned: 2015-08-26

NVC Left: 2015-08-31

Consulate Received: 2015-09-08

Interview Date: 2015-10-20

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Received : 2015-11-02

US Entry : 2015-11-04

Marriage : 2015-12-17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

It’s different if he is CAA. 

And there is no 3 year GC. It’s 2 or 10. 

Well, that's the problem, he doesn't mention any details that give any clues on how he ended up here in the first place. Or how he was able to start citizenship proceedings so quick, I was just trying to sort of help him with the limited info. he provided.

Edited by Meli&Tommy
Typo

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent: 2015-06-18

I-129F NOA1: 2015-06-26

NOA1 Hardcopy: 2015-07-02

NOA2: 2015-07-29

NOA2 Hardcopy: 2015-08-03

NVC Received: 2015-08-26

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned: 2015-08-26

NVC Left: 2015-08-31

Consulate Received: 2015-09-08

Interview Date: 2015-10-20

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Received : 2015-11-02

US Entry : 2015-11-04

Marriage : 2015-12-17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Meli&Tommy said:

Well, that's the problem, he doesn't mention any details that give any clues on how he ended up here in the first place. Or how he was able to start citizenship proceedings so quick, I was just trying to sort of help him with the limited info. he provided.

Not much help there. 

If if he has been a resident 5 years with GC then he was fine to apply. 

You said you had gotten 3 years GC. 

1 hour ago, HRQX said:

In that case, the unauthorized work wouldn't be forgiven (or am I incorrect?) for AOS and naturalization.

Indeed. Good point. I had been assuming the wife was a USC.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Too many variables to provide good advice here; need the OP to return and address the questions posed above,

Be prepared for the eternal waiting game. Be prepared for average news.

Adjustment of Status Journey

Spoiler

07/16/2013 - Successful interview, 2-yr Green Card approved!

Removal of Conditions Journey

Spoiler

11/03/2015 - Approved, card production ordered (164 days!)

11/10/2015 - 10-yr Green Card received (IR6) -- journey over for now!

Citizenship Journey (N-400)

Spoiler

07/15/2019 - Ceremony scheduled for 07/31/2019
07/31/2019 - Journey is finally over. Citizen of the USA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.