Kaleigh & Dan

Juvenile Arrests

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Charlee.Alex said:

I’m the beneficiary and I have a reprimand (like a caution) for shoplifting when I was 14, over ten years ago - no conviction or anything like that. 

im absolutely terrified this is going to kill my chances. Just ordered the acro and SAR. 

If  you'd seen all the visas I have seen in this U.K. FORUM issued to drug users, marijuana smokers, suicide attempters, shoplifters, thieves, and the like...then you would know you've got no denial to fear over that one reprimand. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just now, Wuozopo said:

If  you'd seen all the visas I have seen in this U.K. FORUM issued to drug users, marijuana smokers, suicide attempters, shoplifters, thieves, and the like...then you would know you've got no denial to fear over that one reprimand. 

Well this does make me feel better!! 

I honestly hadn’t given it much thought until I looked over the DS160 at the arrest question and realised I’d have to say yes.. 

Timeline

I know I’m a little late to this thread, but if anyone could please just ease my mind. I am about to apply for the K1 visa, my fiancé is from the UK. He has a prior arrest as a juvenile. He was 16, now he is 31. I understand that this could be an issue? If he gets asked if he was ever arrested, even though he was a minor, he should still say yes, right? We are trying to do this 100% by the book and not lie at all. And I was told he should get a police record anyway. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Absolutely, he should not lie.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Lizbethx said:

I know I’m a little late to this thread, but if anyone could please just ease my mind. I am about to apply for the K1 visa, my fiancé is from the UK. He has a prior arrest as a juvenile. He was 16, now he is 31. I understand that this could be an issue? If he gets asked if he was ever arrested, even though he was a minor, he should still say yes, right? We are trying to do this 100% by the book and not lie at all. And I was told he should get a police record anyway. 

A police certificate (ordered from ACRO) is required for his medical in the U.K. and his interview. It will show his record. If it simply says "No Live Trace" without any details of his juvenile arrest (because it was stepped down) then he should also order a Subject Access Report. The "No Live Trace" was the standard police certificate for a long time for anybody with hidden convictions. Anybody with zero convictions got "No Trace". Recently ACRO has started asking if it is for immigration. If so, they know that even hidden arrests need to be revealed and they include that information now if it is for immigration. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

A police certificate (ordered from ACRO) is required for his medical in the U.K. and his interview. It will show his record. If it simply says "No Live Trace" without any details of his juvenile arrest (because it was stepped down) then he should also order a Subject Access Report. The "No Live Trace" was the standard police certificate for a long time for anybody with hidden convictions. Anybody with zero convictions got "No Trace". Recently ACRO has started asking if it is for immigration. If so, they know that even hidden arrests need to be revealed and they include that information now if it is for immigration. 

Thank you so much! That was very helpful!! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lizbethx said:

Okay he ordered his ACRO but where do we go to get his Subject Access Report? 

Just wait for the police certificate and see if it lists his arrest date and charge. Then you won't need anything else. It comes very quickly and you aren't going to need it for months.  It doesn't go in the I-129F petition application packet. He will need it when the file gets to London. The medical people just want to look at it to see if he's had any drug related incidents. Then he takes it in hand to his interview.

ACRO has a place to order the SAR,  but people interviewing in London this year say the police certificate now has the same info as the SAR. I don't think he will need it.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Just wait for the police certificate and see if it lists his arrest date and charge. Then you won't need anything else. It comes very quickly and you aren't going to need it for months.  It doesn't go in the I-129F petition application packet. He will need it when the file gets to London. The medical people just want to look at it to see if he's had any drug related incidents. Then he takes it in hand to his interview.

ACRO has a place to order the SAR,  but people interviewing in London this year say the police certificate now has the same info as the SAR. I don't think he will need it.

Awesome, thank you for giving me so much peace of mind! 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Lizbethx said:

Awesome, thank you for giving me so much peace of mind! 

And then there's this one who got the "No Live Trace" certificate this year and explains the delay after interview. It makes me wonder if they didn't specify it was for immigration. Anyway, you know what to do when it comes in if the charges aren't shown. 

12 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

And then there's this one who got the "No Live Trace" certificate this year and explains the delay after interview. It makes me wonder if they didn't specify it was for immigration. Anyway, you know what to do when it comes in if the charges aren't shown. 

Hi Wuozopo,

Yes, my fiancé had specified it was for immigration, and there was no information regarding what happened when he was 18 on the police certificate. My fiancé is in the US as of now, and we have yet to get the SAR or police statements sent to us. This leads me to believe that the embassy just called ACRO to verify what happened , and then issued the visa. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mimiso said:

Hi Wuozopo,

Yes, my fiancé had specified it was for immigration, and there was no information regarding what happened when he was 18 on the police certificate. My fiancé is in the US as of now, and we have yet to get the SAR or police statements sent to us. This leads me to believe that the embassy just called ACRO to verify what happened , and then issued the visa. 

Yes, they can do that. I don't quite understand why some regular police certificates have everything on it and some don't.  A number of people have said their police certificate and SAR said the exact same thing.

Congratulations on the fiancé arrival.  When are you getting married? 

Edited by Wuozopo

5 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Yes, they can do that. I don't quite understand why some regular police certificates have everything on it and some don't.  A number of people have said their police certificate and SAR said the exact same thing.

Congratulations on the fiancé arrival.  When are you getting married? 

Thank you! We are looking for rings this weekend and hope to get the civil ceremony done next week, and then one for our family later this fall. I hope folks who go through this issue don’t get too worried about stuff that happened decades ago as teen. Highly doubt they will get denied for minor things, but just know to be prepared if they are in a time crunch, as we were.

We were lucky it was only a week delay, because we need to travel out of the country next May so needed everything to move fast. Thanks for all your help and all of those on these forums. I’ll write my fiance’s Poe review soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.