Floridadream2020

Moving from UK to US with teenagers

12 posts in this topic

Hey all we will be moving to North Port Florida hopefully mid February 2020 at the moment my children are in High school in the UK  year 8 ( 13 year old ) and 16 year old will be starting college September.

We know my son  go back to High School but  can anyone help with will my daughter will she be  in high school or middle school at 13   ? 

Also anyone who has done the move with their children from the UK can you help with where to start with regards to schools in America  converting grades ect ? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Floridadream2020 said:

Hey all we will be moving to North Port Florida hopefully mid February 2020 at the moment my children are in High school in the UK  year 8 ( 13 year old ) and 16 year old will be starting college September.

We know my son  go back to High School but  can anyone help with will my daughter will she be  in high school or middle school at 13   ? 

Also anyone who has done the move with their children from the UK can you help with where to start with regards to schools in America  converting grades ect ? 

Depends on the school system,  some have elementary,  junior high,  senior high while others have elementary,  middle and high school 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

It depends on when she is born. 

Here the cut of date is September 1st. Mine is 13 and will turn 14 in September and he will start 8th grade this fall.

But they may see what she completed in the UK and put her in the same grade as she is there it all depends on the school and how they do it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Best to contact the School.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks All her birthday is 25th Oct so will be 13 this year so looks like the High School in the area starts at grade 9 so may have to do a short time in middle school i was hopeing they would both be going to same school but looks like this may not be the case :(

I will contact them to get some information from them and what information they will need and how we enroll them 

It’s often easier for kids to enter the system in middle school rather than high school, especially if it’s a big high school. If it’s public school you likely just need proof of residence. But you will want to bring reports for things like which math class they get placed into.

2 hours ago, payxibka said:

Depends on the school system,  some have elementary,  junior high,  senior high while others have elementary,  middle and high school 

Some even just have k-8 in one school and then high school.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 hour ago, Floridadream2020 said:

Thanks All her birthday is 25th Oct so will be 13 this year so looks like the High School in the area starts at grade 9 so may have to do a short time in middle school i was hopeing they would both be going to same school but looks like this may not be the case :(

I will contact them to get some information from them and what information they will need and how we enroll them 

Be happy that she will get middle school before she will start High School! .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
49 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Some even just have k-8 in one school and then high school.

In my part of the world that is the exception rather than the rule and is predominantly limited to private or charter schools.   Florida isn't my part of the world 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Floridadream2020 said:

The cut off date for enrollment at most schools is Sept 1, which means on Sept 1 she will be 12 years old and thus in 7th grade for the 2019-2020 school term. 

Enrollmemt info

https://www.sarasotacountyschools.net/Page/1380

15 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

The cut off date for enrollment at most schools is Sept 1, which means on Sept 1 she will be 12 years old and thus in 7th grade for the 2019-2020 school term. 

Enrollmemt info

https://www.sarasotacountyschools.net/Page/1380

Thank you that is really helpful :)

18 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

s often easier for kids to enter the system in middle school rather than high school, especially if it’s a big high school.

So true. I was 17 when I came to this country and I went to a large public high school (1500+ students). Boy, it was tough adjusting. Sometimes, I wish I could unsee or unlearn some of the things I learned in high school !

On top of that, there was a language difference, cultural differences. I came from rather conservative society (Vietnam) to live a year in high school with a lesbian couple who had 5 dogs. It was kinda rough. 

2 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

So true. I was 17 when I came to this country and I went to a large public high school (1500+ students). Boy, it was tough adjusting. Sometimes, I wish I could unsee or unlearn some of the things I learned in high school !

On top of that, there was a language difference, cultural differences. I came from rather conservative society (Vietnam) to live a year in high school with a lesbian couple who had 5 dogs. It was kinda rough. 

My daughter only had one semester in middle school here, but it really helped her get used to the US school system as well as make friends before the onslaught of high school. Oh, @Floridadream2020, it is maybe worth pointing out that unlike the UK, universities look at the entire four year transcript of high school when assessing applicants for admission - so getting used to the different school system in middle school rather than figuring it out in 9th grade is definitely an advantage imo.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.