SimplyComplex

Some questions about filling in the i-129f form

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey everyone, sorry if these seem really dumb, but i have some questions regarding things to do with the form. I don't want to risk making any mistakes, so i'd rather be safe than sorry! Any help would be very much appreciated!

1. Parts of the pdf form are not open to electronically fill in. Should we fill in what we can electronically and fill the rest in by hand?

2. Do you put N/A in parts that need no answer, or do you leave them blank?

3. Where it says 'Family Name' for yourself/parents etc, do we use current last names or maiden names of people?

4. I am from England, UK.. Wherever it asks for country, do we put England, UK? Or just UK? Or Great Britain?

5. As my father died, in his residence field what do we put? Do we write 'deceased'?

6. When we had organised a holiday for me to the US earlier this year, i was not given admission and sent back home (details on another of my past posts). On the question that asks if i have ever been to the US, do i tick yes or no? Having been sent right back home, do i tick no? I have no i-94 entry after looking that up

7. In the phone number parts, do you need to put country codes in?

8. What do you actually write in the part about actual circumstances of in person meeting? Do we just put the dates and where in this box and then elaborate in the declaration of meeting? Or do we need to put a lot of details about it on the form?

9. What do you put on the money order for where the fee is being paid to?

10. What address do we put at the top of the cover letter and the letters of intent?

Sorry for all the questions! Just want to be thorough :) 

1. By hand is fine.

2. N/A is fine.

3. Legal current names -as they appear in your respective passports-.

4. UK is fine.

5. Deceased.

6. When admitted into any country, even for a layover, it counts as being there; the evidence is a passport stamp. So, as you might have no stamp nor were admitted, stating you haven't been there could be valid legally, but for immigration purposes maybe not. Personally, I would check "Yes" and explain on the "Additional information" page. 

7. Include country codes.

8. Some people go for a few sentences while others write pages about their love story. Being specific is important, stating places and dates of meeting -and including proof of those meetings as part of the evidence-.

9. U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

10. USCIS

P.O. Box 660151

Dallas, TX 75266

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If this is for a K1  I-129F  Embassy interview for the Visa,,  You should include a "Letter of Intent" from both parties.   A statement that you have every intention to marry within 90 days upon arrival etc....  Sign and date it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, SimplyComplex said:

Do you put N/A in parts that need no answer, or do you leave them blank?

The instructions tell you. Go read the top of page 3 again. 

I am from England, UK.. Wherever it asks for country, do we put England, UK? Or just UK? Or Great Britain?

United Kingdom spelled out.

I know of somebody here on Visa Journey who got an immigration document issued printed 

Country: Unknown  I guess somebody thought UK meant Unknown. 

When we had organised a holiday for me to the US earlier this year, i was not given admission and sent back home (details on another of my past posts). On the question that asks if i have ever been to the US, do i tick yes or no? Having been sent right back home, do i tick no? I have no i-94 entry after looking that up

I would say No. 

In the phone number parts, do you need to put country codes in?

No

What do you actually write in the part about actual circumstances of in person meeting? Do we just put the dates and where in this box and then elaborate in the declaration of meeting? Or do we need to put a lot of details about it on the form?

This is to see if you meet the requirements of meeting in person within the last 2 years. Describe when and where that happened. It's not about when younfirst started talking. Again read what the actual instructions say on page 5.

What do you put on the money order for where the fee is being paid to?

Go read the instructions page 12. Don't depend on what some stranger tells you in a forum. They might be stupid.

What address do we put at the top of the cover letter and the letters of intent?

You don't even need an address.  The instructions do not call it a letter of intent. They say include a statement from each party. See instructions page 11, 8A. Try this--

STATEMENT OF INTENT

I, YOUR FULL NAME, am free to marry and intend to marry HIS FULL NAME.....etc

[Signature.   Date]

Typed name

Sorry for all the questions! Just want to be thorough :) 

And sorry for annoying you about reading the actual USCIS instructions, but if you want to be successful doing this yourself, then read what USCIS tells you to do. That's how to be thorough.

Lots to read on this page, plus the link to the instructions. https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Make good use of this site. Search the forums. Most of what you’ve requested has been answered before numerous times. 

I understand that its easier to just pose the question, but you may not get the results you’re looking for.

Many of the most experienced members won’t answer these “simple” questions numerous times on numerous posts, so you may not be receiving responses from the people who have the most and best information.

I’d start with looking through the K-1 guides and forums within VJ.

All of this information will be found within the forums and you’ll be able to gather a ton of information in the process. 

As others stated, if you want to do this yourself it will take hours upon hours of reading and educating yourself and the best way to do that is to research forums/guides on your own and then ask only the most complex questions.

good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
16 hours ago, SimplyComplex said:

Hey everyone, sorry if these seem really dumb, but i have some questions regarding things to do with the form. I don't want to risk making any mistakes, so i'd rather be safe than sorry! Any help would be very much appreciated!

1. Parts of the pdf form are not open to electronically fill in. Should we fill in what we can electronically and fill the rest in by hand?

You can fill in things by hand if you can't fill them in electronically. HOWEVER, make sure that you've answered any questions that affect whether or not a question is applicable first (and always use Adobe Acrobat Reader to view / edit form-fillable PDFs from USCIS; they don't test the forms in any other PDF viewer, and sometimes the validation scripts don't work in other readers).

Also, despite the instructions saying to write N/A or none in fields that don't apply, leaving fields that don't apply and you can't write in online blank is fine, or at least we didn't get an RFE for this.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Also - no need to write a big gushy love story for the question on circumstances of meeting.  London is not a tough embassy.  We went through a similar consulate (Auckland), and simply wrote out the dates of our in-person meetings, supported with copies of passport stamps.

Timeline

Thank you all for the help and suggestions! I have done months of research about this but there were just those few things we wanted to be sure of and so apologies if some seemed redundant. It's easy to get overwhelmed.

The only part i'm still unsure of is where it says Family Name for people like my mother. Would this be her maiden name on her birth certificate or the married name she officially goes by now and is on her passport etc?

Timeline

Also, my fiance just asked whether when filling in about our visits with each other, is there any point me mentioning how we had organised and paid for another visit and i'd got as far as touching down in the US only to be denired entry? So that they see we had attempted to spend another visit with each other, or leave that part out on the initial application?

Edited by SimplyComplex

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
39 minutes ago, SimplyComplex said:

Also, my fiance just asked whether when filling in about our visits with each other, is there any point me mentioning how we had organised and paid for another visit and i'd got as far as touching down in the US only to be denired entry? So that they see we had attempted to spend another visit with each other, or leave that part out on the initial application?

One meeting meets the requirement. You don't get bonus points for extra meetings or almost meetings. I would skip anything that sounds negative like a denial of entry, not that it would hurt your petition chances. Just keep it all positive is a better plan in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

One meeting meets the requirement. You don't get bonus points for extra meetings or almost meetings. I would skip anything that sounds negative like a denial of entry, not that it would hurt your petition chances. Just keep it all positive is a better plan in my opinion. 

That denial of entry history will be available to USCIS/the embassy etc anyway.

The only part i'm still unsure of is where it says Family Name for people like my mother. Would this be her maiden name on her birth certificate or the married name she officially goes by now and is on her passport etc?

I used my mother's current legal name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.