30 posts in this topic

Just now, Caitlin Kennedy said:

When you do a "random" wedding in Vegas, most people are doing it with a visa involved. the gov could look at it saying that he came with the purpose of marriage, which is illegal. 

no it's not

It's not illegal to get married in the USA

It's illegal to use a non-immigrant visa to intend to stay in the USA.  Your fiance will go home right?  His intent would be to get married and leave.  When he lands and goes through CBP (or he can through pre-clearance in dublin) they will determine if he is intending to stay or not.  simple

OR you can go up to Canada

OR you can go down to Mexico

both of which have wedding tourism, just like the USA does.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It is illegal to come to the us with the intent of marriage if you don't mention it when you come to immigration. thats why people have to lie and say we did it randomly. I don't want to get married and have him leave again. being engaged and him leaving is heartbreaking enough. I think I would rather do k-1. less risks. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If none of the above float your boat then:

Jamaica

Bahamas

Dominican republic 

Italy

Spain

Thailand 

Options are endless 

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

It is illegal to come to the us with the intent of marriage if you don't mention it when you come to immigration. thats why people have to lie and say we did it randomly. I don't want to get married and have him leave again. being engaged and him leaving is heartbreaking enough. I think I would rather do k-1. less risks. 

This is the first time you mentioned getting married and having him STAY.  That is a totally different fact pattern 

YMMV

I didnt realize if you did the travel visa, after you get married, you would have to leave. I would prefer not to be married and have him leave, thats why I think the k-1 is the better fit. being engaged apart is hard enough!!!

11 minutes ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

So as others do, they don't lie about their intent to get married and they leave when they're supposed to.

But if leaving is heartbreaking for you, then don't. Get the K1.  But don't let your emotions get in the way of a very logical decision.  Leaving my husband each time we visited was no different than leaving my boyfriend or my fiance.  After all he had to go through those stages too.  It hurt. We cried. It is what it is.  But I am far to independent of a person with far too much left behind to even put any of that in jeopardy.  To each their own. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

so you did the cr-1? what is the benefits versus a k-1? so he came over on a travel, said you were getting married, but then left? then applied for cr-1, and he came back over?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

so you did the cr-1? what is the benefits versus a k-1? so he came over on a travel, said you were getting married, but then left? then applied for cr-1, and he came back over?

CR1 is faster to green card,  faster to be able to work, drive, travel, lead a normal life 

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

CR1 is faster to green card,  faster to be able to work, drive, travel, lead a normal life 

and less expensive too.\

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

Ok. Thank you. I have research to do, ha. All of this is overwhelming 

Just think about from the alien's point of view.  Your ability to function remain the same, the k1 is severely impacted 

Not so bad when working permit was taking 60 days and green card in 4 to 5 months.   Now the work permit is 7 to 8 months  and green card is 14 to 30 months depending upon where you live 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

As a former (now naturalized) British CR1 beneficiary, I would never ever recommend the K1. Working significantly helps a foreign born person to adjust to life in the US, and allows them to immerse themselves in their new country independent of the spouse, which is important for a healthy marriage.

Consider your spouses sacrifice when making the decision. They are giving up their home, their life, their friends, their job, to sit around the house and do nothing until their EAD shows up. That's the life on a K1 applicant upon getting to the US.

I realize it's hard to be apart married, but you are adults, and the delaying of pleasure is the hallmark of an adult. Children do what feels good. Yes with the CR1 you would be married and apart, but upon the spouses arrival on a Green Card he would be able to get a job, get his license, and be useful.

That cannot be overstated enough.

Edited by civilservant

2 hours ago, civilservant said:

As a former (now naturalized) British CR1 beneficiary, I would never ever recommend the K1. Working significantly helps a foreign born person to adjust to life in the US, and allows them to immerse themselves in their new country independent of the spouse, which is important for a healthy marriage.

Consider your spouses sacrifice when making the decision. They are giving up their home, their life, their friends, their job, to sit around the house and do nothing until their EAD shows up. That's the life on a K1 applicant upon getting to the US.

I realize it's hard to be apart married, but you are adults, and the delaying of pleasure is the hallmark of an adult. Children do what feels good. Yes with the CR1 you would be married and apart, but upon the spouses arrival on a Green Card he would be able to get a job, get his license, and be useful.

That cannot be overstated enough.

So very well said 👍

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

On 6/10/2019 at 8:05 PM, Caitlin Kennedy said:

My husband came to Canada (I am the foreign spouse) and we were married up there.  We could have married in the USA but i was more concerned with a wedding than he was, it was his 2nd and my 1st.  The options for you for a wedding location isnt limited to the USA.

After marriage we waited quite a while to file because we had to decide where to live.

But in the end we chose US immigration.  Because I came on an immigrant visa, I had my green card right away and could work and travel and drive.  With the k1 at the time those things took 90 days.  Now they take 200+ days.  I didnt like the idea of not being able to travel outside the USA in the case of an emergency with a family member back home either.  

It's important not to think just how you feel but how this will affect your future.  Some of these decisions arent really yours to make but many require discussion with your significant other.  What do they truly want and how will this affect their life and yours.  You both want each other to be happy.

Will your fiance be happy if hes stuck sitting at home for 7 months while you work?

Can your job provide that support?

Will you feel at all negative because you are the only one providing financially?

Think about how you would feel if you had to ask your husband for spending money to relate how he would feel. 

What if a major even happens at home? Will he be angry he cant attend if he doesnt have AP? 

Immigration sounds like, oh boy we finally get to live together, but just like any relationship, there are many necessary discussions that should happen before a single paper is signed, whether that be a marriage license or a petition. Just like those discussions should happen in a domestic relstionship.  But one person is leaving a home and completely changing their life so it's even more important to have these talks. 

When my husband came to Canada for our wedding he told the CBSA officer he was coming to get married and leaving on a specific date. 

Whenever I visited my husband in the USA after marriage I always said zi was visiting my husband and return on a specific date.  

People come to the USA all the time to get married and state exactly that. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.