Jump to content
E & J 2018

AOS and a late addition K2

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My fiancée and her daughter arrived in March and we were married in April. I am about to submit the AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131, I-864) for my wife and her daughter. Now, her son (15) has changed his mind and wants to come to the USA. We only did the DS-160 for my fiancée (now wife) and her daughter, because her son did not want to come here, originally. His name was shown on the I-129F, but he was not immigrating, so I did not do a DS-160 or setup the exams for him.

 

I am wondering what do we have to do at this point? I know he will need a medical and interview in Rio, but do I still add him on the I-864 that I am submitting next week? I need to submit the AOS packet by June 16th?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, payxibka said:

When will he come?

 

If/when he does come,  you will do another I864 when you do his AOS

He will come as soon as he can. I'm not sure how to start the process for him? Do we just prepare a DS-160. Is the RDJ number that we received from the NVC still applicable for him, even though we indicated that he was not immigrating with his mother? He was just shown as one of her children on the original I-129F.  I couldn't find a guide for how we accomplish getting him here.... I'm a little lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, E & J 2018 said:

He will come as soon as he can. I'm not sure how to start the process for him? Do we just prepare a DS-160. Is the RDJ number that we received from the NVC still applicable for him, even though we indicated that he was not immigrating with his mother? He was just shown as one of her children on the original I-129F.  I couldn't find a guide for how we accomplish getting him here.... I'm a little lost.

Same petition number.   Your wife should have had a 01 suffix,  daughter a 02, the son would be 03


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, E & J 2018 said:

He will come as soon as he can. I'm not sure how to start the process for him? Do we just prepare a DS-160. Is the RDJ number that we received from the NVC still applicable for him, even though we indicated that he was not immigrating with his mother? He was just shown as one of her children on the original I-129F.  I couldn't find a guide for how we accomplish getting him here.... I'm a little lost.

Here is a link from the DOS about follow-to-join K2s: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#6

 

Check with RDJ consulate for specifics on the child's immigration status.

 

Good luck on your immigration journey.


Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

_______________________

:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a suffix number on CEAC website for the RDJ number we received from the NVC (01,02)..... How do we start the process for her son? This is what I do not know. Do we just submit a DS-160 referencing this RDJ number and then setup the exams and interview like we originally did for my fiancée and her daughter?

Just now, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

Here is a link from the DOS about follow-to-join K2s: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#6

 

Check with RDJ consulate for specifics on the child's immigration status.

 

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Thank you!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, E & J 2018 said:

I see a suffix number on CEAC website for the RDJ number we received from the NVC (01,02)..... How do we start the process for her son? This is what I do not know. Do we just submit a DS-160 referencing this RDJ number and then setup the exams and interview like we originally did for my fiancée and her daughter?

You use the same steps as you did, to get his visa. A family member can help you and he travel through the medical and interview stages.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#16

 

Are My Children Required to Travel with Me?

 

Your children may travel with (accompany) you to the United States or travel later (follow-to-join). Like you, your children must travel within the validity of their K-2 visas. Separate petitions are not required if the children accompany or follow to join you within one year from the date of issuance of your K-1 visa. If they want to travel later than one year from the date your K-1 visa was issued, they will not be eligible to receive K-2 visas, and separate immigrant visa petitions will be required. If your child has a valid K-2 visa and you have already adjusted status to that of permanent resident, your child may still travel on the K-2 visa.


Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, E & J 2018 said:

I see a suffix number on CEAC website for the RDJ number we received from the NVC (01,02)..... How do we start the process for her son? This is what I do not know. Do we just submit a DS-160 referencing this RDJ number and then setup the exams and interview like we originally did for my fiancée and her daughter?

Thank you!!!!

Generally speaking,  exactly 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Greenbaum said:

You use the same steps as you did, to get his visa. A family member can help you and he travel through the medical and interview stages.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#16

 

Are My Children Required to Travel with Me?

 

Your children may travel with (accompany) you to the United States or travel later (follow-to-join). Like you, your children must travel within the validity of their K-2 visas. Separate petitions are not required if the children accompany or follow to join you within one year from the date of issuance of your K-1 visa. If they want to travel later than one year from the date your K-1 visa was issued, they will not be eligible to receive K-2 visas, and separate immigrant visa petitions will be required. If your child has a valid K-2 visa and you have already adjusted status to that of permanent resident, your child may still travel on the K-2 visa.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We had a similar situation last year.  My fiance's (now wife's) son initially planned to remain in Vietnam, but changed his mind when we said good-bye!  We had not told the consulate officer her son planned to "follow to join" at the interview.  At the time, he didn't want to leave.  Luckily, because both children were listed on the 129F, their K2 applications were processed up to the point of submitting the DS-160.  So, after my wife's interview,  she and her daughte'sr CEAC status changed to "Issued" while her son's remained as "Ready". 

 

Her son's status remained "Ready" after my wife and daughter arrived in the U.S.  If I remember correctly, it remains "Ready" for 1 year before expiring, but I don't remember if the visa issue date is the "start date" for that countdown to expiration.  Four months later,  we were ready to bring him to the U.S.  We simply repeated the steps we took for my wife and her daughter beginning with the DS-160.  We completed her son's DS-160, paid the fee, sent copies of the passport, cover sheet, and photo to the consulate.  We then waited for dates to be available to schedule his interview.  Using the invitation letter his mother received 7 months earlier, he attended his medical exam and interview.  Because of his age (11), the consulate permitted a family friend to accompany him inside the consulate for the interview.  Once inside, it was a very simple process.  They primarily needed to review and collect his documents and passport.

 

The only drawback to "follow to join" was that when my wife's son arrived in the U.S., she already completed her AOS interview and had her green card.  Her son had to apply for AOS separately and we paid the higher fee instead of the lower fee her daughter paid as a K2 applying at the same time as the K1.

 

Good luck to you and your family - Jason

Edited by JasonGG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...