Habanera

Guyana Translator

16 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Here is my situation and followup question. But before I get into into it. please....only respond is you have valuable insight and or information 😊....I posted a question a few weeks ago and received a response from someone I think from Trinidad telling me "Oh its too early to be thinking about that---don't stress yourself out". Not only did I find that response insensitive...but rather dumb and a waste of time. We are all here with the same goal, despite being from different countries. I wasn't stressing...I was just inquiring so as to pre-plan accordingly. That being said, I welcome all insight, experiences, advise. Don't worry about my stress level.....I have that under control.

My fiance is in Cuba therefore a trip to Georgetown, Guyana is inevitable. I plan to travel from the US to Guyana for the interview as well. Will I be allowed in with him during the interview? I heard/read in posts that at the US Embassy in Havana, Cuba, the US partner was not allowed in the interview. Not sure if this is true or not.

Would I be allowed to translate for him? I am a former ESL Teacher/Educator who can speak, read and write in Spanish...In addition, I've also done freelance copy editing/translation for doctors and writers based in Miami. I am not certified as a translator. I am currently investigating a couple companies in  Guyana who provide lodging, transportation, meals and translation for Cubans in Guyana for their interview. Naturally, if the US will allow me to translate....that will be one less service i need to pay for 😊. Would they allow all 3 of us into the US Embassy if I cannot translate for my fiance?

I have another question regarding AOS which I will post in a separate thread....

Thanks for reading!

Have a great day...And Remember... every day that passes is one day closer to being reunited with your Love ❤️

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Habanera said:

Hello Everyone,

Here is my situation and followup question. But before I get into into it. please....only respond is you have valuable insight and or information 😊....I posted a question a few weeks ago and received a response from someone I think from Trinidad telling me "Oh its too early to be thinking about that---don't stress yourself out". Not only did I find that response insensitive...but rather dumb and a waste of time. We are all here with the same goal, despite being from different countries. I wasn't stressing...I was just inquiring so as to pre-plan accordingly. That being said, I welcome all insight, experiences, advise. Don't worry about my stress level.....I have that under control.

My fiance is in Cuba therefore a trip to Georgetown, Guyana is inevitable. I plan to travel from the US to Guyana for the interview as well. Will I be allowed in with him during the interview? I heard/read in posts that at the US Embassy in Havana, Cuba, the US partner was not allowed in the interview. Not sure if this is true or not.

Would I be allowed to translate for him? I am a former ESL Teacher/Educator who can speak, read and write in Spanish...In addition, I've also done freelance copy editing/translation for doctors and writers based in Miami. I am not certified as a translator. I am currently investigating a couple companies in  Guyana who provide lodging, transportation, meals and translation for Cubans in Guyana for their interview. Naturally, if the US will allow me to translate....that will be one less service i need to pay for 😊. Would they allow all 3 of us into the US Embassy if I cannot translate for my fiance?

I have another question regarding AOS which I will post in a separate thread....

Thanks for reading!

Have a great day...And Remember... every day that passes is one day closer to being reunited with your Love ❤️

While I can't answer the question pertaining to the embassy or whether you'd be allowed in or not, as said some do and some don't.

But honestly, do you think the embassy and CO would allow the fiance of the beneficiary do the interview translations? First off, they most likely will have a translator available, they usually do, and the CO probably will know the language also, or a good amount of it. If they allowed you to be the translator, think how improper that would be? Your fiance could say something and you completely change it to what you want it to be or the "correct" answer so to say. So would be incredibly biased and improper. They will have someone available though don't worry.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

While I can't answer the question pertaining to the embassy or whether you'd be allowed in or not, as said some do and some don't.

But honestly, do you think the embassy and CO would allow the fiance of the beneficiary do the interview translations? First off, they most likely will have a translator available, they usually do, and the CO probably will know the language also, or a good amount of it. If they allowed you to be the translator, think how improper that would be? Your fiance could say something and you completely change it to what you want it to be or the "correct" answer so to say. So would be incredibly biased and improper. They will have someone available though don't worry.

They will have interpreters in the native tongue (say guyanese) of the country of interview but not necessarily if you need a different language (say Spanish)

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Thank you for responding. However, I would like to comment to your insinuation that I would attempt to  fraudulently alter a response as a translator. That is UNETHICAL and goes against my moral principles. Have a blessed day. I would also like to add.....if there were in fact available translators at one's disposal...why then are there half a dozen companies offering in-person translation services as part of their package? My understanding from at least 1 of those companies is that translators are not guaranteed at all times in Guyana....and as such it is the responsibility of the Cuban to provide a translator if necessary. I guess I should also wait to hear from the other companies, as well as from Cubans on this forum with upcoming dates to see what the consensus is......Tkx.

Edited by Habanera

*** Friendly reminder that the forums are open for anyone to participate. Preventing or asking others outside of a specific group not to post is against the site's TOS. With that being said, we do ask participants to post constructively.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Please don't go off on me, but I tend to agree with Ben and Zian. 

At the visa interview, a very critical and important meeting in your relationship. You, as the fiancee, have a very big vested, personal interest in the outcome of this interview. Unfortunately, as a consequence, it could be perceived that could prevent you from being impartial and unbiased translator in this instance. That is exactly how the embassy/consulate may view your attendance at the session as an official translator.  Any government official reviewing the situation could come to a similar conclusion, and decline or nullify the decision. To avoid any possible thoughts of impropriety, I would suggest that the best course of action would be for you to recuse yourself from being the translator at the visa interview. No one is impugning your integrity. Don't give the government the chance to try to go down that path, make sure that they bring in a proper translator, if necessary.

Best wishes on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

Please don't go off on me, but I tend to agree with Ben and Zian. 

There is no chance of impropriety as the translator MUST be an impartial, unbiased 3rd party.  Even if she tries,  it will be stopped at the door.

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sounds good !

I have always said that both parties should strive to be at the visa interview, if possible.

In our own case, it ended up being our third meeting. My plane was late leaving Seattle, got into Beijing six hours late. Yep, missed the connecting flight, finally got there at 2am. The Guangzhou consulate does not allow the USC to attend the interview. However, I was there, jet-lagged and all,  in spirit, around the corner at a Starbucks, downing doppio espressos. I feel that it just shows to your future partner that you want to support them at this very important meeting in your relationship. It has to be tough going into a foreign government's building, and get grilled. My wife says that knowing I was in the vicinity, helped give her strength to ace her interview....and she did !  You can read our review in June 2012 Guangzhou, China consulate reviews. 

Like I still say, if you can go to the interview, go...support your future family.

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

1 hour ago, Habanera said:

To VJ Moderation,

Why are you sending me this?  I did not ask anyone not to participate. Don't attack my character--Which is what was done.

And you are correct. Participation SHOULD be CONSTRUCTIVE,

Thank You

It is because you wrote "please only respond if......"   The VJ TOS say that anyone can reply to any thread.  It was a reminder.

4 hours ago, Habanera said:

However, I would like to comment to your insinuation that I would attempt to  fraudulently alter a response as a translator. That is UNETHICAL and goes against my moral principles.

It was not an attack on your character.  It was a statement about policy and the rationale behind that policy.

To Jorgedig

Ben/Zian Wrote:

"If they allowed you to be the translator, think how improper that would be? Your fiance could say something and you completely change it to what you want it to be or the "correct" answer so to say. So would be incredibly biased and improper. "

That is an inplicit/explicit inference that I would LIE....AND THAT IS AN ATTACK ON MY CHARACTER.

like I  previiously said.... I received the answer I needed earlier today with a phone call.

2 minutes ago, Habanera said:

To Jorgedig

Ben/Zian Wrote:

"If they allowed you to be the translator, think how improper that would be? Your fiance could say something and you completely change it to what you want it to be or the "correct" answer so to say. So would be incredibly biased and improper. "

That is an inplicit/explicit inference that I would LIE....AND THAT IS AN ATTACK ON MY CHARACTER.

like I  previiously said.... I received the answer I needed earlier today with a phone call.

Ben and Zian also wrote:  "But honestly, do you think the embassy and CO would allow the fiance of the beneficiary do the interview translations? First off, they most likely will have a translator available, they usually do, and the CO probably will know the language also, or a good amount of it. If they allowed you to be the translator, think how improper that would be?" in an attempt to explain to you why you cannot interpret for your fiance at the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.