HaruBK

AOS interview date received and question about possible rescheduling

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hello VJ members,

We finally got our mail with our scheduled interview date (7/3) and we are very happy and grateful.

The interview date however was a bit of disappointment to us because there is a major christian conference we signed up for which is from 7/1 ~ 7/5.

The conference is held once a year but because they have special programs for married couples (newly weds) we had high expectations to attend.

That being said, as much as we don't want to fiddle with the interview date, I wanted to get some opinion of the consequences after requesting for reschedule.

Will we be placed back to the same group awaiting for schedule (assuming those after biometrics) and have to wait not knowing when to be scheduled next?

Of course at this time we are going to cancel our attendance to the conference and commit to the interview, but were curious if rescheduling interview was not such uncommon thing and perhaps no big consequences.

Thank you and have a blessed weekend!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
8 minutes ago, HaruBK said:

Hello VJ members,

We finally got our mail with our scheduled interview date (7/3) and we are very happy and grateful.

The interview date however was a bit of disappointment to us because there is a major christian conference we signed up for which is from 7/1 ~ 7/5.

The conference is held once a year but because they have special programs for married couples (newly weds) we had high expectations to attend.

That being said, as much as we don't want to fiddle with the interview date, I wanted to get some opinion of the consequences after requesting for reschedule.

Will we be placed back to the same group awaiting for schedule (assuming those after biometrics) and have to wait not knowing when to be scheduled next?

Of course at this time we are going to cancel our attendance to the conference and commit to the interview, but were curious if rescheduling interview was not such uncommon thing and perhaps no big consequences.

I mean, I wouldn't want to play with AOS interview. It tells a lot about where your priorities are. The conference happens once a year. AOS it's once in a lifetime and if I was you I wouldn't take my chances of USCIS thinking that you are not ready or serious.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
1 minute ago, Mary&Rafa said:

I mean, I wouldn't want to play with AOS interview. It tells a lot about where your priorities are. The conference happens once a year. AOS it's once in a lifetime and if I was you I wouldn't take my chances of USCIS thinking that you are not ready or serious.

Thanks for the reply, and I agree.  

While we are not going to play with AOS interview date, we also were not 100% sure if rescheduling was permitted for non-emergency and if that would be a negative (to the sight of USCIS and to us if we need to blindly wait again)

Timeline
Just now, Jaquelly said:

The conference can wait until next year. See if there is a livestream you can follow. AOS takes priority over everything else.

Plus I don't think they let you reschedule unless it's an emergency or due to health issues

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
19 minutes ago, HaruBK said:

Hello VJ members,

I would go to the interview if I were you...

You can go to the conference next year. 

Who knows how long you need to wait. Also rescheduling is up to the officer who got your case. You can request it but they can say no.

Also depending when they reschedule you by the time you might need to renew your EAD and AP, etc.

Your immigration status should be #1 priority over a conference....

You can read more about rescheduling here

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2449/0-0-0-2466.html

Timeline

(2)   Evaluating Requests for the Rescheduling of Interviews  . (See   8 CFR 103.2(b)(9)  )  

Prior to and at the date and time of the interview, an applicant or petitioner may (a) withdraw the application or petition; or (b) request, for good cause, that the interview be rescheduled.  

In order to reschedule the interview, the adjudicator, in his or her discretion, must determine that the applicant, petitioner, beneficiary, or other individual is unable to appear at the scheduled date and time because of circumstances beyond the individual's control.  

If the adjudicator determines that good cause exists for the applicant or petitioner's request, the adjudicator will reschedule the interview and mail a new interview notice. If the adjudicator determines that no good cause exists, the adjudicator will adjudicate the application or petition as instructed in AFM    Chapter 15.1(d)(2)  .  

I don't think the conference is something they will let you reschedule for. If I was you I would try to get my money back from the conference reservations.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, Mary&Rafa said:

^^^^^^^

THIS !!  :thumbs:

No brainer, you can catch the conference another day, your purported excuse is weak.  USCIS may not give you another interview appointment, and if they do, it may be a worse situation for you. 

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Hi there I actually have a Christian convention around the same time so I definitely understand the importance. 

Either way however I would stream it instead and go to the interview. You can go to the couples meeting next year. I understand it's important for you. Maybe talk with the elders of your congregation so they can record it for you or give a talk for you another day. You will only miss one day and thankfully the other days you can still attend. 

I had to reschedule my husband's AOS interview because I was in the hospital after surgery and I started having complications. Surgeon wrote me a letter of excuse and we rescheduled rather quickly. A month later we had another AOS interview and we were approved. 

Whatever you decide I wish you all the best. Maybe come back here an update us. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.