Jump to content
Salahadin

Marriage Certificate Not Accepted

17 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

Please help...... I marred before six years from my wife who is USC in Thailand, our marriage certificate issued from Islamic Committee in Sonngkhla city. After marriage my wife came to Saudi Arabia to live with me and she got "Resident ID card "  also we have gifted two beautiful kids who are US Citizens too.

 

Our Marriage certificate accepted in Saudi Arabia when she got resident Visa but when i uploaded the document in NVC they rejected with this notice : This document is from an incorrect issuing authority Please replace this with an acceptable marriage certificate. 

 

Thank you all in advance

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To qualify for a marriage-based visa or green card, you must be legally married and officially recognized by the government in the country in which you were married.  So you need to produce an official record of your marriage from a public office, in this case, Thailand.  A religious certificate would likely not be accepted, hence the rejection.  What's officially recognized in Saudi Arabia may not be recognized by the United States immigration services.

Edited by givionte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, givionte said:

To qualify for a marriage-based visa or green card, you must be legally married and officially recognized by the government in the country in which you were married.  So you need to produce an official record of your marriage from a public office, in this case, Thailand.  A religious certificate would likely not be accepted, hence the rejection.  What's officially recognized in Saudi Arabia may not be recognized by the United States immigration services.

was thinking the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A marriage must be registered in the jurisdiction it took place in for it to be recognized the world over. The registration makes it an official record. 


I-751 journey

 

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

  xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The state department will tell you what documents are accepted in their reciprocity tables here:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Thailand.html


I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

May 18, 2016: Chicago Lockbox received package.

May 20, 2016: NOA1 Notice Date with priority date of May 18. Sent to Nebraska Service Center

May 23, 2016: NOA1 E-mail

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App

Nov 2, 2016: USCIS sent to NVC

 

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Nov 23, 2016: IV Fee Invoiced and paid

Nov 30, 2016: IV and AOS Packages Sent (EP)

Dec 4, 2016: DS-260 Submitted

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Dec 15, 2016: Found out interview date by phone

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

 

Jan 30, 2017: POE Toronto Pearson Airport

 

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox

Nov 7, 2018: Apparent receipt date (SMS notification on 11/9)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AstroCanada said:

The state department will tell you what documents are accepted in their reciprocity tables here:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Thailand.html

While that link will describe the required document, the one I'm providing will describe the process a US Citizen goes through to legally marry in Thailand.

 

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-thailand/

 

Did you submit the same marriage certificate to USCIS with the I-130 petition, that you are now submitting to NVC?  If you submitted something other than what is described in AstroCanada's link then, I suspect you'll need to withdraw the petition, then get legally and lawfully married where you can and start over.  I do not think a non-Arab can marry a Saudi in Saudi Arabia.  If I'm right, (and she is not Arab) you'll need to travel to a country that DOES allow the two of you to legally marry.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Salahadin said:

 

i did my marriage in Mosque for Muslims Community so it's not registered in Thailand  but it's recognized in Muslims country and at that time there was no plan for immigration.

You will have to fix this, and either get the religious marriage officially recognized by the government of Thailand, and proper documentation to prove it, or get married again legally somewhere and re-file the I-130.  In the eyes of US immigration, and many other countries, you are not legally married right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pushbrk said:

While that link will describe the required document, the one I'm providing will describe the process a US Citizen goes through to legally marry in Thailand.

 

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-thailand/

 

Did you submit the same marriage certificate to USCIS with the I-130 petition, that you are now submitting to NVC?  If you submitted something other than what is described in AstroCanada's link then, I suspect you'll need to withdraw the petition, then get legally and lawfully married where you can and start over.  I do not think a non-Arab can marry a Saudi in Saudi Arabia.  If I'm right, (and she is not Arab) you'll need to travel to a country that DOES allow the two of you to legally marry.

Thanks for a your valuable information, after religious married in the Islamic committee in Thailand i went to Malaysia and register my Marriage Certificate in Somali Embassy and i got official attestation from Ministry of Foreign Affair and also from Saudi Arabia Embassy because we were planing to live in Saudi.

 

 This Certificate i sent to USCIS and Accepted.  For NVC i sent both but they rejected.

Now i am thinking to go again Thailand and do new official registration certificate. 

 

My question is it possible to do marriage registration in tourist Visa or not? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, carmel34 said:

You will have to fix this, and either get the religious marriage officially recognized by the government of Thailand, and proper documentation to prove it, or get married again legally somewhere and re-file the I-130.  In the eyes of US immigration, and many other countries, you are not legally married right now.

Thanks for help, but if i do new marriage certificate in another country do i need to refile again I-130 or only send it to USCIS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Salahadin said:

Thanks for a your valuable information, after religious married in the Islamic committee in Thailand i went to Malaysia and register my Marriage Certificate in Somali Embassy and i got official attestation from Ministry of Foreign Affair and also from Saudi Arabia Embassy because we were planing to live in Saudi.

 

 This Certificate i sent to USCIS and Accepted.  For NVC i sent both but they rejected.

Now i am thinking to go again Thailand and do new official registration certificate. 

 

My question is it possible to do marriage registration in tourist Visa or not? 

 

First, let me make a correction.  It's Saudi women who are not allowed to marry non-arabs.  

 

You and your wife would BOTH be tourists in Thailand.  Google "tourist marriage in Thailand".  This is not an immigration question.  If you are Somali, why not marry in Somalia?

 

You need a marriage certificate that indicates you are legally and lawfully married in the country the marriage took place.  So far, you are NOT.  That Saudi Arabia and/or Somalia recognizes your marriage is not the same thing.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Salahadin said:

Thanks for help, but if i do new marriage certificate in another country do i need to refile again I-130 or only send it to USCIS. 

Start over.  Withdraw the existing petition and file a new I-130 AFTER you are actually legally and lawfully married somewhere and have a government issued marriage certificate.

 

Note that you are "too married" for a fiance visa and not married enough for a spouse visa.  Your circumstances fit one of several scenarios with that result.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

First, let me make a correction.  It's Saudi women who are not allowed to marry non-arabs.  

 

You and your wife would BOTH be tourists in Thailand.  Google "tourist marriage in Thailand".  This is not an immigration question.  If you are Somali, why not marry in Somalia?

 

You need a marriage certificate that indicates you are legally and lawfully married in the country the marriage took place.  So far, you are NOT.  That Saudi Arabia and/or Somalia recognizes your marriage is not the same thing.

My wife is USC. 

If you are Somali, why not marry in Somalia? Because i am not living in Somalia since my age 9 years old i am living in Saudi Arabia.

my wife was living in Malaysia but in Malaysia you can not marriage if you don't have residency ID for Both husband and wife.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Salahadin said:

My wife is USC. 

If you are Somali, why not marry in Somalia? Because i am not living in Somalia since my age 9 years old i am living in Saudi Arabia.

my wife was living in Malaysia but in Malaysia you can not marriage if you don't have residency ID for Both husband and wife.

 

OK, so you married (not legally) in Thailand as tourists.  If you want to live in the US, get legally married and start all over.  No need to waste more time and money on the process you're in now.  Withdraw the petition and start over after legally marrying.  Chose a country where you CAN marry and obey their laws sufficiently to get the applicable government issued marriage certificate.

Your immigration related questions have been answered, for now.  Time to get "legally married".


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...