lesleypowers

Lost green card, expensive to replace, but eligible for citizenship- can I apply?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I lost my green card recently and it’s extremely expensive to replace as I’m sure many of you know. I am however now eligible to apply for naturalization and was planning on doing so. Will I be able to complete my application without a green card? I have all my other paperwork in order, the letter that came with the green card etc.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You need a photo copy of your green card both front and back or it will be rejected.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

as stated, unless you have a copy, front and back of your GC, you will need to get another one to apply for citizenship

you need to send a copy of your GC along with the N400

A copy of the green card will only get you start the N400 application process. But don't you need your physical green card during interview and turn in your green card during the Oath of ceremony?   Unless there is an I90 application record in the system to show for, I am not sure they will let you go in the interview.  I just don't think you can bypass the I90 fee even if you will never get the physical green card in time for the interview.

Edited by mobilebucky

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
On 6/5/2019 at 12:59 PM, mobilebucky said:

A copy of the green card will only get you start the N400 application process. But don't you need your physical green card during interview and turn in your green card during the Oath of ceremony?   Unless there is an I90 application record in the system to show for, I am not sure they will let you go in the interview.  I just don't think you can bypass the I90 fee even if you will never get the physical green card in time for the interview.

Yes, unfortunately you need the physical GC to hand in during the oath ceremony. A photocopy will not work. This is the only reason why I didn't apply for Naturalization while having my I-751 application processed.

Our Visa Journey (L) (See our Immigration timeline for a very detailed K-1 and AOS process)

08/17/2015 - I-129F petition/packet sent off
12/17/2015 - Visa Interview in Sweden. We're APPROVED!!!
01/14/2016 - P.O.E. @ Newark International Airport
03/21/2016 - Got married @ town hall
03/22/2016 - AOS, EAD, AP packet sent off
08/03/2016 - Became a Conditional Permanent Resident
05/07/2018 - ROC packet sent off

06/12/2019 - ROC approved (no RFE, no transfer, no interview)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 5/28/2019 at 8:04 PM, lesleypowers said:

Hi everyone,

I lost my green card recently and it’s extremely expensive to replace as I’m sure many of you know. I am however now eligible to apply for naturalization and was planning on doing so. Will I be able to complete my application without a green card? I have all my other paperwork in order, the letter that came with the green card etc.

Thank you!

If it is too expensive to replace your green card ($455) then how are you going to afford paying for citizenship ($725)? Just get a new green card and save up for the citizenship. Just because you're eligible doesn't mean you have to apply for it right away. You need your Green Card for the application anyway. 

On 6/17/2019 at 3:34 PM, Unidentified said:

If it is too expensive to replace your green card ($455) then how are you going to afford paying for citizenship ($725)? Just get a new green card and save up for the citizenship. Just because you're eligible doesn't mean you have to apply for it right away. You need your Green Card for the application anyway. 

Well, maybe because having to pay $1180 is more than $725, wouldn't you think?

You need to replace the greencard, and I wouldn't put that off.

Section 264(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act:  all lawful permanent residents (LPRs) to have “at all times” official evidence of LPR status.   See image below.

image.thumb.png.22c024f2e93430a30a60eb1dbf1a5668.png

You will also need it physically in hand for at least the oath ceremony, and probably the interview.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 5/28/2019 at 8:04 PM, lesleypowers said:

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

You could consider filing I-942, Request for Reduced Fee or I-912 Request for Fee Waiver if you are eligible for fee reduction or fee waiver. They both cover fees for I-90 and N-400 forms.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-942

https://www.uscis.gov/i-912

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.