Jump to content
spikes746

How far in advance can you book embassy interview?

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

My fiance and I plan to get married mid-May 2020 (family rules restrict this as she has to get her bachelors degree before marrying). We were wanting to send the I-129F off in a week or so. As I get out of the Army in April 2020 I was wanting to leave my interview until February 2020 when I have resettlement leave entitled as I know once issued, the K1 visa lasts 6 months.

 

Is it possible to book an embassy interview this far in advance based on expected NOA2 receipt time if we sent the I-129F next week. I have heard of one case of inactivity but that was for AOS I believe. 

 

Thank you for your help, planning everything to fit a certain time schedule is not easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My best advice would be to contact the embassy and find out what accommodations they make for situations like yours. Every country's embassy will operate differently regarding scheduling - some people can schedule interviews via the consulate website, others have to wait until the consulate contacts them.

I believe most allow a scheduling parameter of 30 days.


IR-1/CR-1

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016
 
I-751 FILER   
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
event.png
 
event.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Your NOA2 will be valid for four months. During that timeframe everything including the interview should be done. It can be extended up to a year in four month steps but that decision is up to the embassy if they do it or not ( they automatically do it if the 'problem' is on their end). 

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spikes746 said:

Hello all,

 

My fiance and I plan to get married mid-May 2020 (family rules restrict this as she has to get her bachelors degree before marrying). We were wanting to send the I-129F off in a week or so. As I get out of the Army in April 2020 I was wanting to leave my interview until February 2020 when I have resettlement leave entitled as I know once issued, the K1 visa lasts 6 months.

 

Is it possible to book an embassy interview this far in advance based on expected NOA2 receipt time if we sent the I-129F next week. I have heard of one case of inactivity but that was for AOS I believe. 

 

Thank you for your help, planning everything to fit a certain time schedule is not easy.

No.  The embassy will not allow a booking until the approved petition is on station in London


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would get a move on, your time line is very tight.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sorry I am confused, one person is telling me that NOA2 expires after four months and it seems that getting the extensions from the embassy is not a given. This would imply that I should wait till something like August/September to send the application giving me about 4 months till Jan/Feb 2020 for the interview. However you just said that I need to hurry up and my time line is tight. Sorry if that sounds argumentative or antagonistic, I couldn't think of another way to phrase it. 

 

EDIT: I think I understand now, you are saying that because NOA2 is being received about 150-200 days from filing on average.

Edited by spikes746

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spikes746 said:

Sorry I am confused, one person is telling me that NOA2 expires after four months and it seems that getting the extensions from the embassy is not a given. This would imply that I should wait till something like August/September to send the application giving me about 4 months till Jan/Feb 2020 for the interview. However you just said that I need to hurry up and my time line is tight. Sorry if that sounds argumentative or antagonistic, I couldn't think of another way to phrase it. 

Extensions are routinely given in 4 month increments for up to 1 year.  In addition, the visa will be valid for 6 mos. after issuance.  Petition approvals one year ago were taking 6 to 8 months.  They only recently came down to closer to 4 months.  They can easily revert.  It is really difficult to "time" immigration.


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, payxibka said:

Extensions are routinely given in 4 month increments for up to 1 year.  In addition, the visa will be valid for 6 mos. after issuance.  Petition approvals one year ago were taking 6 to 8 months.  They only recently came down to closer to 4 months.  They can easily revert.  It is really difficult to "time" immigration.

Thank you for that clarification. Much appreciated.

 

All your replies to my original post have let me know I need to get the application in ASAP. 

 

Thank you all for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spikes746 said:

Hello all,

 

My fiance and I plan to get married mid-May 2020 (family rules restrict this as she has to get her bachelors degree before marrying). We were wanting to send the I-129F off in a week or so. As I get out of the Army in April 2020 I was wanting to leave my interview until February 2020 when I have resettlement leave entitled as I know once issued, the K1 visa lasts 6 months.

 

Is it possible to book an embassy interview this far in advance based on expected NOA2 receipt time if we sent the I-129F next week. I have heard of one case of inactivity but that was for AOS I believe. 

 

Thank you for your help, planning everything to fit a certain time schedule is not easy.

Here's some London specific info.

It is correct as stated that you can't book the interview that far in advance. You have to get the petition approved, then the case has to go through NVC, and on to London. That's going to put you to the end of 2019 if you get the petition off immediately.

 

You will book your interview online, but London doesn't offer days beyond a couple of months out...meaning you wouldn't find dates for 4 months in the future.

 

Another note: your visa will be issued to expire 6 months from the medical date, not the interview or issue date.

 

The petition expiration of 4 months is a total non-issue for a London K1. From their instructions--

If your petition expires before the visa interview takes place, you are required to bring to your interview a signed letter from your petitioner confirming that you both remain legally free to marry and that you will marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.
Edited by Wuozopo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Another note: your visa will be issued to expire 6 months from the medical date, not the interview or issue date.

 

The petition expiration of 4 months is a total non-issue for a London K1. From their instructions--

If your petition expires before the visa interview takes place, you are required to bring to your interview a signed letter from your petitioner confirming that you both remain legally free to marry and that you will marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.

That is all very useful to know, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...