spikes746

How far in advance can you book embassy interview?

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

My fiance and I plan to get married mid-May 2020 (family rules restrict this as she has to get her bachelors degree before marrying). We were wanting to send the I-129F off in a week or so. As I get out of the Army in April 2020 I was wanting to leave my interview until February 2020 when I have resettlement leave entitled as I know once issued, the K1 visa lasts 6 months.

Is it possible to book an embassy interview this far in advance based on expected NOA2 receipt time if we sent the I-129F next week. I have heard of one case of inactivity but that was for AOS I believe. 

Thank you for your help, planning everything to fit a certain time schedule is not easy.

My best advice would be to contact the embassy and find out what accommodations they make for situations like yours. Every country's embassy will operate differently regarding scheduling - some people can schedule interviews via the consulate website, others have to wait until the consulate contacts them.

I believe most allow a scheduling parameter of 30 days.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Your NOA2 will be valid for four months. During that timeframe everything including the interview should be done. It can be extended up to a year in four month steps but that decision is up to the embassy if they do it or not ( they automatically do it if the 'problem' is on their end). 

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 minutes ago, spikes746 said:

Hello all,

My fiance and I plan to get married mid-May 2020 (family rules restrict this as she has to get her bachelors degree before marrying). We were wanting to send the I-129F off in a week or so. As I get out of the Army in April 2020 I was wanting to leave my interview until February 2020 when I have resettlement leave entitled as I know once issued, the K1 visa lasts 6 months.

Is it possible to book an embassy interview this far in advance based on expected NOA2 receipt time if we sent the I-129F next week. I have heard of one case of inactivity but that was for AOS I believe. 

Thank you for your help, planning everything to fit a certain time schedule is not easy.

No.  The embassy will not allow a booking until the approved petition is on station in London

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would get a move on, your time line is very tight.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Sorry I am confused, one person is telling me that NOA2 expires after four months and it seems that getting the extensions from the embassy is not a given. This would imply that I should wait till something like August/September to send the application giving me about 4 months till Jan/Feb 2020 for the interview. However you just said that I need to hurry up and my time line is tight. Sorry if that sounds argumentative or antagonistic, I couldn't think of another way to phrase it. 

EDIT: I think I understand now, you are saying that because NOA2 is being received about 150-200 days from filing on average.

Edited by spikes746

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, spikes746 said:

Sorry I am confused, one person is telling me that NOA2 expires after four months and it seems that getting the extensions from the embassy is not a given. This would imply that I should wait till something like August/September to send the application giving me about 4 months till Jan/Feb 2020 for the interview. However you just said that I need to hurry up and my time line is tight. Sorry if that sounds argumentative or antagonistic, I couldn't think of another way to phrase it. 

Extensions are routinely given in 4 month increments for up to 1 year.  In addition, the visa will be valid for 6 mos. after issuance.  Petition approvals one year ago were taking 6 to 8 months.  They only recently came down to closer to 4 months.  They can easily revert.  It is really difficult to "time" immigration.

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

Extensions are routinely given in 4 month increments for up to 1 year.  In addition, the visa will be valid for 6 mos. after issuance.  Petition approvals one year ago were taking 6 to 8 months.  They only recently came down to closer to 4 months.  They can easily revert.  It is really difficult to "time" immigration.

Thank you for that clarification. Much appreciated.

All your replies to my original post have let me know I need to get the application in ASAP. 

Thank you all for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, spikes746 said:

Hello all,

Here's some London specific info.

It is correct as stated that you can't book the interview that far in advance. You have to get the petition approved, then the case has to go through NVC, and on to London. That's going to put you to the end of 2019 if you get the petition off immediately.

You will book your interview online, but London doesn't offer days beyond a couple of months out...meaning you wouldn't find dates for 4 months in the future.

Another note: your visa will be issued to expire 6 months from the medical date, not the interview or issue date.

The petition expiration of 4 months is a total non-issue for a London K1. From their instructions--

If your petition expires before the visa interview takes place, you are required to bring to your interview a signed letter from your petitioner confirming that you both remain legally free to marry and that you will marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.
Edited by Wuozopo

3 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Another note: your visa will be issued to expire 6 months from the medical date, not the interview or issue date.

The petition expiration of 4 months is a total non-issue for a London K1. From their instructions--

If your petition expires before the visa interview takes place, you are required to bring to your interview a signed letter from your petitioner confirming that you both remain legally free to marry and that you will marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.

That is all very useful to know, thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.