10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi,

I and my husband are in the middle of filling the I-130 petition and we are kind of confused on what to write. So here’s the question. I am the beneficiary (wife) on the I-130 form am I supposed to put my husband’s name or my father’s name in the forms.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Adegbesan Olamide said:

Hi,

I and my husband are in the middle of filling the I-130 petition and we are kind of confused on what to write. So here’s the question. I am the beneficiary (wife) on the I-130 form am I supposed to put my husband’s name or my father’s name in the forms.

your not petitioning for father, you should read the guides on VJ to assist you

https://www.visajourney.com/cr1-ir1-spousal-visa/

Edited by Khallaf

1 hour ago, Adegbesan Olamide said:

Hi,

Well, who is filing the i130 for you? Is it your husband or is it your father?

Sorry to sound blunt....

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Timeline

My husband is the one filling. What I mean is since I haven’t gotten my change of name legally. Can I still use my dad’s surname or I can just go ahead and use my husband’s surname.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Adegbesan Olamide said:

My husband is the one filling. What I mean is since I haven’t gotten my change of name legally. Can I still use my dad’s surname or I can just go ahead and use my husband’s surname.

If you didn't change your surname on the marriage certificate, then you put your current name. It's not just  your dad's surname, it's YOUR surname right now, unless you change it.

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Adegbesan Olamide said:

If you intend to use a "Married Name" going forward, it is advisable to use it on the I-130 and then as soon as possible get it officially changed and either update or get a new passport in that name.  If you do not intend to change your name based on marriage, then don't.  You do NOT need to go through the formal name change in BEFORE filing the petition.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 minute ago, pushbrk said:
47 minutes ago, Adegbesan Olamide said:

husband’s surname.

If you intend to use a "Married Name" going forward, it is advisable to use it on the I-130 and then as soon as possible get it officially changed and either update or get a new passport in that name.  If you do not intend to change your name based on marriage, then don't.  You do NOT need to go through

Thank you so so much. I really appreciate this.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
35 minutes ago, junkmart said:

If you didn't change your surname on the marriage certificate, then you put your current name. It's not just  your dad's surname, it's YOUR surname right now, unless you change it.

She can use married name now and do the official change later.  But, correct, it is HER surname, and her married name will also become HER surname.  But this issue of wording is just semantics confusion based on English being a second language for the OP.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
19 hours ago, Adegbesan Olamide said:

Thank you so so much. I really appreciate this.

You can also have it done for "free" when you do your naturalization.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.