dwheels76

NVC Filers - May 2019

1,450 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, GabLuc said:

Folks, I am bummy about the taxes, I lived abroad with my husband since 2014, I last filed in 2013, and again for 2018. I only have tax returns/transcripts for 2018, I came back to the US in oct 2018 and I was planning to use my 2018 w2, 2018 transcript, recent paystubs and recent job letter to meet the guidelines. Household size 3 and my income is 40k a year based on my job letter. 

My aunt who filed for my grandmother last year, said they only ask for tax returns to show you don't owe taxes thats what the interviewer at the consulate told her. She said the paystub and job letter will suffice. 

My question is, do I ABSOLUTELY HAVE to submit 3 years tax return/transcript or is it optional?

You only have to provide the transcript for the most recent year.  however you must answer the question “have you filed taxes for the previous 3 years?”  and if the answer is no, then you need to write comments that explain why you were not required to file taxes 

1 minute ago, Kartinee23 said:

Really?! They accepted my husband’s tax return April 17. Still waiting for JS tax return to be reviewed. We uploaded same day of the 17th when we got rejected because of the W2 at the bottom. They never told us about transcript. Now waiting for it to be reviewed. 3wks tomorrow and no update. I hope they just accept it and not ask us again about transcript and make us wait for 3more weeks.  🙏🏽

Fingers crossed they let you go through! .

Just now, Lil bear said:

You only have to provide the transcript for the most recent year.  however you must answer the question “have you filed taxes for the previous 3 years?”  and if the answer is no, then you need to write comments that explain why you were not required to file taxes 

, thank you. I need to check what I wrote there. I think I put I was a student living with my husband who supported me abroad.

Thank you soo much 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Kartinee23 said:

Really?! They accepted my husband’s tax return April 17. Still waiting for JS tax return to be reviewed. We uploaded same day of the 17th when we got rejected because of the W2 at the bottom. They never told us about transcript. Now waiting for it to be reviewed. 3wks tomorrow and no update. I hope they just accept it and not ask us again about transcript and make us wait for 3more weeks.  🙏🏽

I think you will be ok. The NVC pretty much changes what they request on a daily basis. I hate them!

BTW what did the RFE said about the W2? Did they just said to load it separately? 

2 minutes ago, CarlosSeoanes said:

May I ask why you have a gap on filing your US taxes?

My understanding is that all US citizens not matter where they reside must file US taxes. I been living abroad with my husband since 2015 and I have filed every single year. 

In regards of your question, for me they only asked for 2017 or 2018 transcript. 

I had no income, and I called irs, they told me if I have no income below 15k I didn't need to file. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, GabLuc said:

I had no income, and I called irs, they told me if I have no income below 15k I didn't need to file. 

Oh that totally makes sense 🙂 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, CarlosSeoanes said:

I think you will be ok. The NVC pretty much changes what they request on a daily basis. I hate them!

BTW what did the RFE said about the W2? Did they just said to load it separately? 

They said not to upload multiple file. I cant remember the exact words. But something like that. I was not able to understand it first coz it wasnt me who uploaded it and I cldnt view the file. So I asked the attorney and she said, it might be the W2at the bottom of the Tax return file. So we removed it and uploaded the tax return alone. We already have W2s uploaded and accepted under the supporting documents. It’s just that mistake. I pray for CC please. I hate waiting for idk what and when. 🙏🏽

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline
8 minutes ago, CarlosSeoanes said:

May I ask why you have a gap on filing your US taxes?

My understanding is that all US citizens not matter where they reside must file US taxes. I been living abroad with my husband since 2015 and I have filed every single year. 

In regards of your question, for me they only asked for 2017 or 2018 transcript. 

I wont ask that question because some people may have a reason why they didn't file and that can be personal. I don't think that should be anyone business unless they share it without anyone asking.

2 minutes ago, nyokie said:

I wont ask that question because some people may have a reason why they didn't file and that can be personal. I don't think that should be anyone business unless they share it without anyone asking.

Im fine, I disclosed a lot. You guys are a great support system. I was told by IRS if I didnt make the 15K threshold I didnt need to file. 

She probably also thought I didn't know I was supposed to file even while living abroad.

Timeline
Just now, GabLuc said:

Im fine, I disclosed a lot. You guys are a great support system. I was told by IRS if I didnt make the 15K threshold I didnt need to file. 

She probably also thought I didn't know I was supposed to file even while living abroad.

Sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I just asked as I wanted to make sure you knew about the US tax laws. 

We are all here to help out 🙂

Just now, CarlosSeoanes said:

Sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I just asked as I wanted to make sure you knew about the US tax laws. 

No way! Everyone here have been amazing. I was silently withering away before I found visa journey. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, GabLuc said:

my husband didn't file back in 2017 for the same reason and he was told the same thing.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, CarlosSeoanes said:

I don't know but still learning.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Kartinee23 said:

They said not to upload multiple file. I cant remember the exact words. But something like that. I was not able to understand it first coz it wasnt me who uploaded it and I cldnt view the file. So I asked the attorney and she said, it might be the W2at the bottom of the Tax return file. So we removed it and uploaded the tax return alone. We already have W2s uploaded and accepted under the supporting documents. It’s just that mistake. I pray for CC please. I hate waiting for idk what and when. 🙏🏽

Did the RFE said something like this:

We are unable to accept multiple document types combined. Please delete these documents and submit each document under the appropriate document type.

That’s the RFE message I got on April 25th for submitting  2 documents combined in regards of my “proof of domicile”, even though they both  relate to my “proof of domicile”. It’s crazy!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.