ahm78

After 8 years, my immigration journey ends...

7 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, ahm78 said:

It all started one day in 2011 when clicked the "submit" button to send my online application for the annual diversity lottery. Little did I know then that this simple clock was going to change my life fundamentally. I lived in the middle-east back then, in a very wealthy family, and I did have everything I could ever wish for. I was not happy though. I never felt really at "home". They say home is where the heart is, and my heart belonged to America for as far as I can remember. I was fascinated its the culture, its freedoms, its innovation, and everywhere I looked around me I could see something that originated in America that made my life better.

You can then understand how I felt when I saw that my entry was selected. I had only a 1 in 100 chance, yet luck smiled at me and I was picked. My elation disappeared shortly though and it was replaced with immense worry. What if for some reason the following steps in my immigration were not successful? What if after the medical and X rays they tell me that I have 5 kidneys or something similarly weird? What if I freeze and can't speak a single word during the embassy interview and they kick me out? What if my nervousness makes me throw up on the consular officer? But it all went well, and in less than a year I was on the flight heading to America.  If you've never been to America, there is simply no way for me to describe to you just how beautiful it is. Walking the streets I used to see in sitcoms and looking at the iconic buildings and monuments I saw in movies I felt I was dreaming. I loved this country before I was there, but now I was madly "in love" with everything about it. From that moment on every time I referenced "home" my friends and family knew I meant the USA.

Over the next few years I got to learn about the American people first hand. They are patriotic, family oriented, and God loving people. They believe in communal work and do what they can to make life good for everyone around them, and they are as honest as they get. Yes, you'll meet the occasional liar or cheat, particularly when you interact with car rental counters or used cars sales people, but they remain the absolute minority. The vast majority of the American people are kind, fair, polite, and have a great sense of humor. No matter what was going on in my life, every day I woke up and remembered that I'm in the United States I smiled and carried on with my day in an excellent mood. Not sure if that's a normal way to feel or of it's just me because on my crazy love of this country, but that's how I felt anyway.

Fast forward, it was time for me to apply for citizenship. Being a middle eastern man with an ethic name I perfectly expected that my application would take years of scrutiny and security checks and that I'll not get an interview in the foreseeable future, but I could not have been more mistaken. America came through once again, and I was treated exactly like everyone else, and my processing time matched that of others in my field office. I was extremely nervous during the interview, considering how it was the most meaningful thing that has ever happened in my life. My ultimate dream was so close yet so far, and time seemed to come to a halt as we went through the interview. Near the end he asked me the application's yes or no questions, and while I answered a simple yes or no to every question I gave a different answer to one question. He asked me if I was willing to bear arms on behalf of the United States, and the answer came directly from my heart "ABSOLUTELY YES", while struggling to hold back my tears. This country has given me too much and generously brought me over to live under its magnificent bill of rights, so the least I could do to repay its kindness is to spill my blood for its protection if it's ever needed. He gave me the piece of paper with the box next to the recommendation for approval checked, and I felt that I was reborn at this moment. Decades ago when I was born for the first time the stupid roulette ball of life threw me in a random place that I did not choose, like, or ever really belonged to, but now this mistake was about to be corrected and I was closer than ever to becoming an integral part of the land and the people I adore. I wished dad was still alive  so I could have phoned him and gave him the eagerly anticipated news, but sadly he died earlier this year and I'll never get to tell him. Hope he's watching from somewhere and smiling though.  

Over the years I read immigration forums and extensively searched their topics for advice and information. Now that I'm days away from my oath and about to delete the immigration related bookmarks from my browser I decided to offer a big thank you to everyone who spent even a few seconds helping others and sharing information. Also want to tell those who are still in earlier stages of the journey to hang in there, because it's well worth every bit of your effort to become a part of this most magnificent country on earth. Just do it right, act honest, and give America every bit of love and hard work you have because in doing so you are creating an even greater place for your children and grandchildren to live in. Thank you and good luck to everyone.

Wonderful Story congratulation pass the interview , Thank you for share this whole wonderful Story .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
30 minutes ago, ahm78 said:

I wished dad was still alive  so I could have phoned him and gave him the eagerly anticipated news, but sadly he died earlier this year and I'll never get to tell him. Hope he's watching from somewhere and smiling though.  

Your dad will be right beside you while you're reciting your oath.  Feel that.  Believe in that.  

All  the best to you.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Beautiful, inspiring story is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Case Progress subforum. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

What a lovely read, congratulations & enjoy the rest of your happy life :D

K1 Fiance Visa Journey 💍 - From sending I-129F to Visa in hand = 295 days📅

Spoiler

10th-Oct-2017 I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

13th-Oct-2017 - I-129F received 

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

19th-Apr-2018 - NOA2 :dance:
8th-May-2018 - NVC received our case

14-May-2018 NVC case # assigned
29-June-2018 - Medical

20-July-2018 - Interview - APPROVED! :dancing:

01-Aug-2018 Visa in hand 🎉
13-Oct-2018 - POE:dancing:
17-Nov-2018- Married:wub:

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

6th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox
11th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet received in Chicago
17th-Dec-2018 - Received txt notifications
18-Dec-2018 - Check cashed
17-Dec-2018 - NOA1 on USCIS online case status
24-Dec-2018 - x3 NOA1 letter's received in the mail:thumbs:
31-Dec-2018 - Biometrics appointment letter received in the mail
31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Biometrics appointment👍
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

10-Jan-2019 - Sent back initial evidence request documents by mail:clock:
15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Mar-2019 - Letter with interview date received in the mail!!!!!!! :D

30-Apr-2019 - AOS Interview!  :star: - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - AOS (I-485) Approval notice letter received in the mail
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

07-May-2019 - 2 year conditional Green card in hand! :dance:

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

16th-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet sent to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

22nd-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet received in Phoenix, AZ lockbox

Congrats!

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

That was such a great read and congratulations on become a fellow citizen!

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.