MMIslander

Getting Duel Citizenship For My Son

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I was hoping for some help figuring out the best option for my situation. Me and my fiance are gathering what we need to submit a K-1, he is a US citizen and I am  a Canadian citizen. I have an 11 year old son from a previous relationship and I am trying to figure out the best way for him to get citizenship in the US along with me. Depending on timing of filling and approvals etc., he is able to stay behind with his bio father until we can figure our what the best route for us is. Either way, getting duel citizenship for him is important to me and i'm not sure if k-2 visa is the best way or immediate relative or if there is a even a 3rd option?. If anyone has any information that can help or experiences to share, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you :D 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, MMIslander said:

Hi, I was hoping for some help figuring out the best option for my situation. Me and my fiance are gathering what we need to submit a K-1, he is a US citizen and I am  a Canadian citizen. I have an 11 year old son from a previous relationship and I am trying to figure out the best way for him to get citizenship in the US along with me. Depending on timing of filling and approvals etc., he is able to stay behind with his bio father until we can figure our what the best route for us is. Either way, getting duel citizenship for him is important to me and i'm not sure if k-2 visa is the best way or immediate relative or if there is a even a 3rd option?. If anyone has any information that can help or experiences to share, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you :D 

He needs to be present in the USA and be a resident in order to get it whether or not he gets it through you or on his own

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

he can come on a k2 and In the future you will file for citizenship first, if he is under 18 he will derive citizenship

your husband should file for him and if you want to wait there are several years of waiting, once you become a USC, he can derive your citizenship. 

so it really depends on when you want him to come, It would be easier if he comes on a K2, so you won't be separated from him so long

Citizenship is a long way off.

First you need to get your K-1 (and a K-2 for your child) which will take around 8 or 9 months, then enter the USA, then get married, then file an adjustment of status to become a permanent resident (12-18 month process), then after 3 years as a resident you can apply for citizenship, assuming you are still married to the same USC, and that's another year or so for the process. So in around 5 years you could be a citizen. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 minute ago, aleful said:

he can come on a k2 and In the future you will file for citizenship first, if he is under 18 he will derive citizenship

your husband should file for him and if you want to wait there are several years of waiting, once you become a USC, he can derive your citizenship. 

so it really depends on when you want him to come, It would be easier if he comes on a K2, so you won't be separated from him so long

This is good advice, another alternative is to wait till you have naturalized then sponsor him for a green card and he will become a citizen immediately on landing to live with you, assuming he is still under 18 at the time ... but this route doesn't make sense unless for some reason you want him to still live in Canada for a few years.

As a spouse of a USC, your 3-year path to citizenship is the shortest there is, so he should piggyback on that to get his as soon as he can.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A lot os this assume son wants to come and father is agreeable.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
30 minutes ago, MMIslander said:

You're misunderstanding the immigration process.

After you arrive in the US on the K-1 visa, you will not become a US citizen.  You will become a US permanent resident.  Only after having a green card for 3 years and living with your USC spouse for 3 years, can you start the process to become a US citizen.  

Does your son intend to come live with you in the US?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.