Laura Hartman

Do I have to complete another affidavit of support form i-864 for AOS interview?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I recently received my request for AOS initial interview with a list of items I need to bring with me. The affidavit of support form i-864 is listed unless already submitted which I did when I applied for AOS back in October 2017 so I assumed I didn't have to bring it to the interview as I sent out my i-485 and a completed i-864 with all the evidence required (federal income tax returns, W-2's, letters from employers, evidence of sponsor's US citizenship, etc). However, I called USCIS and got two different suggestions, one was that I should bring another updated i-864 form with all required evidence all over again and then later another agent said that since I already submitted it when I first applied, I only needed to bring a copy with me. I just want to make sure whether I have complete this form again or not as I don't have that much time to put all that paperwork together. I just want to know what's best for my case and as usual, I received mixed answers from USCIS customer service. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Laura Hartman said:

I recently received my request for AOS initial interview with a list of items I need to bring with me. The affidavit of support form i-864 is listed unless already submitted which I did when I applied for AOS back in October 2017 so I assumed I didn't have to bring it to the interview as I sent out my i-485 and a completed i-864 with all the evidence required (federal income tax returns, W-2's, letters from employers, evidence of sponsor's US citizenship, etc). However, I called USCIS and got two different suggestions, one was that I should bring another updated i-864 form with all required evidence all over again and then later another agent said that since I already submitted it when I first applied, I only needed to bring a copy with me. I just want to make sure whether I have complete this form again or not as I don't have that much time to put all that paperwork together. I just want to know what's best for my case and as usual, I received mixed answers from USCIS customer service. 

If anything in your situation changed (the petitioner is earning more or less than when you filled out the original I-864 etc) you have to bring an updated I-864 with evidence to support that. This to avoid a possible RFE.

If you already filed 2018 taxes, it's best to bring an updated I-864 with the numbers of 2016-2018 and the 2018 tax return + W2 or the 2018 transcript.

If nothing changed and you don't have your 2018 tax return yet you just bring copies of everything you already filed (and originals like birth certificate etc, just to be sure)

Since I assume your interview is after April 15th, I assume you have your 2018 tax return by the time your interview comes around.

The originally filed I-864 remains valid so a new one is not required.

An IO can request a new I-864, so having an updated one ready is usually a good idea just in case.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.