Michael&Karen

How should my husband file my I-130? help!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My husband and I got married in Mexico so I still have my maiden name cause things are different from the US and I would have to wait until I get to the US to take my husband´s last name... My cuestion is: ¿When he files the I-130 should he put my married name on the beneficiary name and in other names my maiden name or just my maiden name cause I haven´t changed it?

Please help. thanks!

-NSC-

Marriage: 02-14-2019♥

I-130 PD:  08-30-2019
NOA1: 09/05/2019

NOA2: 05/05/2020

NVC recieved: 05/06/2020

-Take delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Michael&Karen said:

My husband and I got married in Mexico so I still have my maiden name cause things are different from the US and I would have to wait until I get to the US to take my husband´s last name... My cuestion is: ¿When he files the I-130 should he put my married name on the beneficiary name and in other names my maiden name or just my maiden name cause I haven´t changed it?

Please help. thanks!

If you don't change your last name legally by the time he files for the I-130 he has to put your maiden name. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Michael&Karen said:

Please help. thanks!

If you can't change it, then he should put your maiden name. I can't change my name in my country either so my plan is to change my name once i get citizenship.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, ShreebhagyaK9 said:

If you don't change your last name legally by the time he files for the I-130 he has to put your maiden name. 

This is not correct.  The name change on the passport only has to be completed before the visa interview.  If she can do that (and she is the foreign spouse) then there is no reason not to file in that name.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
10 hours ago, pushbrk said:

This is not correct.  The name change on the passport only has to be completed before the visa interview.  If she can do that (and she is the foreign spouse) then there is no reason not to file in that name.

Hello,

Then should he just file the form with my maiden name and once I get the GC can I take his last name? or what's the way to start the process for my new last name if I'm not in the states?

Thank you.

-NSC-

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
11 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Oh okay! Thanks for letting me know. 

5 hours ago, Michael&Karen said:

Hello,

Then should he just file the form with my maiden name and once I get the GC can I take his last name? or what's the way to start the process for my new last name if I'm not in the states?

Thank you.

If you file the I-130 in your maiden name then you will also file your DS-260 in your maiden name.  If you do that your green card will be in your maiden name.  If you change your name later and your new passport doesn't match your green card you will be in for many challenging situations.  File the I-130 in the married name if you intend to use that.  You will save yourself a lot of trouble.

My wife was able to get a new passport in her married name just by showing the marriage certificate.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
24 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

If you file the I-130 in your maiden name then you will also file your DS-260 in your maiden name.  If you do that your green card will be in your maiden name.  If you change your name later and your new passport doesn't match your green card you will be in for many challenging situations.  File the I-130 in the married name if you intend to use that.  You will save yourself a lot of trouble.

My wife was able to get a new passport in her married name just by showing the marriage certificate.

Hello and thanks for the answer....

The thing is that at least here in Mexico I can´t get a new passport with my married name and also my marriage certificate has my maiden name cause Mexico does't work like the US, that's why we are so confused.

-NSC-

16 minutes ago, Michael&Karen said:

Hello and thanks for the answer....

The thing is that at least here in Mexico I can´t get a new passport with my married name and also my marriage certificate has my maiden name cause Mexico does't work like the US, that's why we are so confused.

The Philippines handles names differently to.  My wife just kept everything the same but her maiden last name became her new middle name and she took my last name.  For example she was

Maria Jones Smith    (Jones would be her mothers family name) then she changed her new name to

Maria Smith My Last name.  where her maiden name becomes her new middle name

You are right, the US doesn't care at all what you do.  I still suggest using the name you plan to use in the states throughout the entire process.

There are stories of people not being allowed to fly, trouble with social security cards, trouble with driver's licenses and state IDs when they file in the maiden name after they are married.

You can always just keep your maiden name too.  That is up to you.  I am just saying that life will be easier if your green card is in the name you plan to use.  You can change your passport later.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
56 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

The Philippines handles names differently to.  My wife just kept everything the same but her maiden last name became her new middle name and she took my last name.  For example she was

Maria Jones Smith    (Jones would be her mothers family name) then she changed her new name to

Maria Smith My Last name.  where her maiden name becomes her new middle name

You are right, the US doesn't care at all what you do.  I still suggest using the name you plan to use in the states throughout the entire process.

There are stories of people not being allowed to fly, trouble with social security cards, trouble with driver's licenses and state IDs when they file in the maiden name after they are married.

You can always just keep your maiden name too.  That is up to you.  I am just saying that life will be easier if your green card is in the name you plan to use.  You can change your passport later.

Good advice.  I cannot imagine that she cannot get a new passport in her married name.  MOST or nearly ALL marriage certificates show Mary Smith marrying John Jones.  That's how Mary Smith BECAME Mary Jones.

To the OP:  Are you really SURE you cannot get a new passport in your married name.  While....I....an NOT SURE you CAN, I'm pretty sure, and in the 14 years I've been participating here, I've never seen this issue.  Please verify your facts before burdening the members more with this.  I'm "pretty sure" whoever told you you could not, is simply mistaken.  Ask somebody who can give you an official answer.

I...THINK... you get the husband's family name placed NEXT to you maiden family name.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
23 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Good advice.  I cannot imagine that she cannot get a new passport in her married name.  MOST or nearly ALL marriage certificates show Mary Smith marrying John Jones.  That's how Mary Smith BECAME Mary Jones.

To the OP:  Are you really SURE you cannot get a new passport in your married name.  While....I....an NOT SURE you CAN, I'm pretty sure, and in the 14 years I've been participating here, I've never seen this issue.  Please verify your facts before burdening the members more with this.  I'm "pretty sure" whoever told you you could not, is simply mistaken.  Ask somebody who can give you an official answer.

I...THINK... you get the husband's family name placed NEXT to you maiden family name.

Oh ok, now I get it... If i do get a " new passport " would be: " Karen Sanchez de Smith " cause it's the way it is in Mexico.

It won't be KAREN SMITH like in the states, that's my question, I don't want them to say anything whenever I have to cross the border... SO my husband can file " KAREN SMITH"? I'm sorry for the misunderstanding as you all can see I'm new at this and thank you for your patience.

-NSC-

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Michael&Karen said:

Oh ok, now I get it... If i do get a " new passport " would be: " Karen Sanchez de Smith " cause it's the way it is in Mexico.

It won't be KAREN SMITH like in the states, that's my question, I don't want them to say anything whenever I have to cross the border... SO my husband can file " KAREN SMITH"? I'm sorry for the misunderstanding as you all can see I'm new at this and thank you for your patience.

Now you've got it.  Go forth and prosper, my child.  LOL

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
Just now, pushbrk said:

Now you've got it.  Go forth and prosper, my child.  LOL

LOL thanks!!!♥

-NSC-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.