1,140 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
On 4/22/2019 at 1:45 PM, BritGirl88 said:

Sent out my package on 4/16. Delivered on 4/19. Still waiting for the NOA1 text...hopefully I get it by tomorrow.

have you received anything yet? mine delivered on the 30th and I have only gotten the extension letter. nothing else yet! even online it still says my case was received!! 

Has anyone traveled overseas recently using the expired green card and extension letter? Any difficulties going through U.S. customs upon return? What about checking in for the flight at the overseas airport when returning to the U.S.? 

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

[Day 000] May 18, 2020: Naturalization package accepted by USCIS

[Day 268] February 10, 2021: Interview scheduled

[Day 305 ] March 19, 2021: Approved!

[Day 309 ] March 23, 2021: Oath ceremony

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 000] April 29, 2019: ROC package accepted by USCIS

[Day 036] June 4, 2019: Biometrics taken at USCIS center in VA

[Day 330] March 24, 2020: Case transferred to NBC to ease case backlog at EAC

[Day 380 ] May 13, 2020: Online status updated to "interview ready to be scheduled" 

[Day 690] March 19, 2021: Approved during combo interview

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 000] March 8, 2016: Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package to Chicago lockbox

[Day 035] April 12, 2016: Biometrics appointment

[Day 052] April 29, 2016: Received EAD/AP combo card in the mail

[Day 412] April 25, 2017: EAD/AP renewal documents approved; received card in hand first week of May

[Day 470] June 22, 2017: Received RFE for five items with 84 days to respond 

[Day 477] June 29, 2017: Second medical due to the case pending for more than one year 

[Day 505]: July 27, 2017: GREEN CARD APPLICATION WAS APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!!!

[Day 554]: September 14, 2017: Green card arrived in the mail and brought our 18-month AOS journey to an end

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

Fall 2005: Met as students at university

July 2015: Got engaged

September 12, 2015: Mailed K-1 Visa Petition to Lewisville Lockbox

September 16, 2015: NOA1 Received (Electronic Notice)

October 2, 2015: NOA2 (Electronic Notice)

October 23, 2015: Approved I-129F Received by NVC and Assigned Case Number

October 29, 2015: Petition documents arrived at AIT in Taipei

November 2, 2015: Received Packet 3 from AIT via email

November 10, 2015: Medical appointment

November 23, 2015: Visa interview

November 27, 2015: VISA APPROVED!!

February 1, 2016: POE in Minneapolis

February 6, 2016: Married!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
19 hours ago, Linyahui said:

Has anyone traveled overseas recently using the expired green card and extension letter? Any difficulties going through U.S. customs upon return? What about checking in for the flight at the overseas airport when returning to the U.S.? 

did it once. No problem during the flights or checking in. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 1/3/2020 at 1:13 PM, Linyahui said:

I have in December! No problem at all. You can't scan anything through the kiosk though, but it's not a problem, go straight to the officer upon the arrival. Airlines abroad as well as the immigration officers abroad who wanted to look at my green card haven't been confused by the extension letter either. 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:39 AM, coneyisland said:

did it once. No problem during the flights or checking in. 

Thanks, Coneyisland. 

On 1/10/2020 at 11:05 PM, Eternati said:

I have in December! No problem at all. You can't scan anything through the kiosk though, but it's not a problem, go straight to the officer upon the arrival. Airlines abroad as well as the immigration officers abroad who wanted to look at my green card haven't been confused by the extension letter either. 

Thanks, Eternati. Hubby is now overseas, so I was glad to get these two positive confirmations! 

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 380 ] May 13, 2020: Online status updated to "interview ready to be scheduled" 

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 412] April 25, 2017: EAD/AP renewal documents approved; received card in hand first week of May

[Day 477] June 29, 2017: Second medical due to the case pending for more than one year 

[Day 505]: July 27, 2017: GREEN CARD APPLICATION WAS APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!!!

[Day 554]: September 14, 2017: Green card arrived in the mail and brought our 18-month AOS journey to an end

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, fromthewater said:

Has anyone received any update recently? It's been awfully quiet - nothing seems to be moving.

Also, I will be changing my address - can anyone share the official way to change address for I-751?

Will this slow down/ bump my case behind...

I just checked our case status after reading your question and discovered that it has changed from "your fingerprint review has been completed" to "your case has been updated to show your fingerprint review is complete." This happened to a number of other people on the thread in mid-December, but no one has any idea what, if anything, it means. I'm opting for positivity--someone touched our case, if only to confirm we had the biometrics done seven months ago...

We changed our address between receiving the two-year conditional green card and filing to remove conditions. All the USCIS documents came to our new address with no problem. However, this may be because we filed the I-751 with the new address versus moving after filing with the old address. I also submitted the address change form several times, just to be sure. It's on the USCIS website: https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do.

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, fromthewater said:

Has anyone received any update recently? It's been awfully quiet - nothing seems to be moving.

Also, I will be changing my address - can anyone share the official way to change address for I-751?

Will this slow down/ bump my case behind...

We just got a letter for interview. It will be in February. So I think they are working again lol

3 hours ago, Linyahui said:

I just checked our case status after reading your question and discovered that it has changed from "your fingerprint review has been completed" to "your case has been updated to show your fingerprint review is complete." This happened to a number of other people on the thread in mid-December, but no one has any idea what, if anything, it means. I'm opting for positivity--someone touched our case, if only to confirm we had the biometrics done seven months ago...

We changed our address between receiving the two-year conditional green card and filing to remove conditions. All the USCIS documents came to our new address with no problem. However, this may be because we filed the I-751 with the new address versus moving after filing with the old address. I also submitted the address change form several times, just to be sure. It's on the USCIS website: https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do.

Thanks for sharing! Seems like all change of address can be done online then.

2 hours ago, llama said:

We just got a letter for interview. It will be in February. So I think they are working again lol

Thanks for sharing about this! Let us know how the interview goes!

Maybe I am just being inpatient. Processing time shows 26 -36 mos, and it’s barely 9...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 1/3/2020 at 1:13 PM, Linyahui said:

We flew from Bogota to Washington Dulles direct two days ago with Avianca.  The check in lady said, "your green card is expired" and I showed her the extension letter along with  the 2019  Carrier Information Guide (we printed  it out in Spanish and English) showing that the expired green card was good with the extension letter.  https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/2019 Carrier Information Guide - ENGLISH.pdf 

She showed these items to her supervisor who went off to show the extension letter to "higher ups" and they said was ok to travel.  We then had to show the letter to immigration (to leave country) and to the gate agent again!  And again in the USA at Dulles but they were familiar with the form.  Since there are large fines if Airlines permit undocumented persons to travel to the USA, they review the documents very carefully, but the expired green card and extension letter is not the ideal way to travel hassle-free as you have to depend on the airline folks to know that the extension letter is valid and this is not guaranteed.   Checking in is where things could go astray as the US immigration people are familiar with the extension. 

Divorce decree - submit ASAP, or wait for RFE?

Lawyer I talked to before told me to wait for RFE.

I am reading the extension letter again, and it says "If you have not done so, provide supporting documents to help USCIS process your petition and to establlish your eligibility to remove the condition on your permanent  residence. Please include a copy of this receipt notice with any supporting documents you submit."

Would sending decree initiatively helps speed up the case? Letting them know divorce is final and nothing else is pending?

Thoughts?

On 1/18/2020 at 4:38 PM, seablock said:

We flew from Bogota to Washington Dulles direct two days ago with Avianca.  The check in lady said, "your green card is expired" and I showed her the extension letter along with  the 2019  Carrier Information Guide (we printed  it out in Spanish and English) showing that the expired green card was good with the extension letter.  https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/2019 Carrier Information Guide - ENGLISH.pdf 

She showed these items to her supervisor who went off to show the extension letter to "higher ups" and they said was ok to travel.  We then had to show the letter to immigration (to leave country) and to the gate agent again!  And again in the USA at Dulles but they were familiar with the form.  Since there are large fines if Airlines permit undocumented persons to travel to the USA, they review the documents very carefully, but the expired green card and extension letter is not the ideal way to travel hassle-free as you have to depend on the airline folks to know that the extension letter is valid and this is not guaranteed.   Checking in is where things could go astray as the US immigration people are familiar with the extension. 

Thank you for the information! My husband also has a printed copy of the Carrier Information Guide, so we should be in good shape. 

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.