MajaMukanowska

Ridiculous waiting time for an EAD renewal - about to lose job

71 posts in this topic

Along with contacting a senator instead of a congress person, I would try to haggle with your work. I'm sure they're truly working with you, but is there a way that you could take a Leave of Absence? Something that would take you off their books while you get this sorted out, but keep your job there? Leave W/O Pay.

I know that it would mean they would be down someone and they may be behind, but maybe they'd be willing to eat it.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

My husband is in the same boat.  His permit expired in October.  He applied in July for a renewal and nothing.  He is worried and we have done an inquiry but it has not been assigned to an agent yet.  His permit extension expires this week.  If he has the letter stating he has reapplied is that good enough for his employer to allow him to keep working?

23 hours ago, MajaMukanowska said:

Hi everyone,

I think I have the weirdest immigration timeline one could have. K-1 visa got approved pretty fast in May 2017.  Came to the US in June 2017. Got married in July. Applied for the Green Card and EAD/AP in July. Then EAD/AP combo card got approved within 88 days. Here's when the fun starts...

The combo card expired 10/16/18. I applied for the renewal in July 2018 - so in a nice timely manner. 246 DAYS AGO. Even with the 180 days automatic extension, I will still lose my job in 3 weeks.

Yes, I made an Infopass appointment. They can't rush EADs, but they put in a request for the Green Card interview expedition - since it's been almost 2 years that I'm waiting for it. Well, that's nice of them, but I still have no sign of it happening anytime soon.

Yes, I have a lawyer. Apparently the best immigration lawyer in Maryland. She said I'm really on top of my paperwork so there is noting she can do for me.

Yes, I called the landline and put in service request - 3 of them. I call every 30 days. Everytime someone promisses to take care of it, and NOTHING HAPPENS.

Yes, I have my congressman working on the case. So what. They told me they will get back to me once USCIS replies. They never did.

Yes, I sent letters from my employer stating he's gonna be terminating me SOLELY because of EAD expiring. And mine and my husbands testimonies of financial hardships we're gonna face. Had the congressman forward the same letters to USCIS, too.

I guess I'm gonna lose a job that I love, because of nothing.

Anyone there with a similar problem?

Thanks, guys

Maja

IMG_9333.jpg

10 hours ago, Beth & Achraf said:

Renewal for us, 208 days and still waiting.

I applied my EAD renewal in late August 2018. 212 days and still waiting.

8 hours ago, chinitayukii said:

we are in the same boat. I sent my EAD Renewal July 2018 and it’s still pending up to this day. I even call the customer service every week but still they can’t provide much information. I will lose my job in 4 weeks if I don’t do a Employment re-verification 😞 Do you think sending a new EAD renewal papers will be our best option?

I would send a new renewal. This seems to be perfect, which I have never thought before. Thank you VJers!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Montenegro
Timeline
23 hours ago, MajaMukanowska said:

Hi everyone,

I think I have the weirdest immigration timeline one could have. K-1 visa got approved pretty fast in May 2017.  Came to the US in June 2017. Got married in July. Applied for the Green Card and EAD/AP in July. Then EAD/AP combo card got approved within 88 days. Here's when the fun starts...

The combo card expired 10/16/18. I applied for the renewal in July 2018 - so in a nice timely manner. 246 DAYS AGO. Even with the 180 days automatic extension, I will still lose my job in 3 weeks.

Yes, I made an Infopass appointment. They can't rush EADs, but they put in a request for the Green Card interview expedition - since it's been almost 2 years that I'm waiting for it. Well, that's nice of them, but I still have no sign of it happening anytime soon.

Yes, I have a lawyer. Apparently the best immigration lawyer in Maryland. She said I'm really on top of my paperwork so there is noting she can do for me.

Yes, I called the landline and put in service request - 3 of them. I call every 30 days. Everytime someone promisses to take care of it, and NOTHING HAPPENS.

Yes, I have my congressman working on the case. So what. They told me they will get back to me once USCIS replies. They never did.

Yes, I sent letters from my employer stating he's gonna be terminating me SOLELY because of EAD expiring. And mine and my husbands testimonies of financial hardships we're gonna face. Had the congressman forward the same letters to USCIS, too.

I guess I'm gonna lose a job that I love, because of nothing.

Anyone there with a similar problem?

Thanks, guys

Maja

IMG_9333.jpg

Hello!

I had an issue with a misspelled EAD, and I was told I have to send it for renewal.

What officers told me is to make copies of the card to provide to employer since the A-number will remain the same.

You should call USCIS and ask them will your A-number will stay the same, so you just make copy of the card and extend your job with the employer and explain that your card is sent back for renewal.

You still haven't received green card ? It's weird since EAD expires in a year and you should be getting interviewed for GC by then.

Filed: Timeline
16 hours ago, Cathi said:

Call one or both of your US Senators and ask to speak to their immigration liaison, don't bother with a congressperson. I contacted my US Senator's liaison when my husband's case was stuck at the NVC and he was on top of my husband's case immediately and got it moving again. 

How to contact a Congress person? 

13 hours ago, DenisAlma said:

Hello!

I had an issue with a misspelled EAD, and I was told I have to send it for renewal.

What officers told me is to make copies of the card to provide to employer since the A-number will remain the same.

You should call USCIS and ask them will your A-number will stay the same, so you just make copy of the card and extend your job with the employer and explain that your card is sent back for renewal.

You still haven't received green card ? It's weird since EAD expires in a year and you should be getting interviewed for GC by then.

Not weird.  Some FOs are taking upwards of two years for AOS interviews.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 minute ago, chinitayukii said:

How to contact a Congress person? 

https://whoismyrepresentative.com/

Find them at the above link by entering your zip code, or just google Senator+zip code or US  representative+zip code.

Then contact their office.

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
14 hours ago, JoJoJoJo said:

Sending a new renewal would probably not work, because the extension is from the expiry date of your old EAD. Please have a read your NOA1 of your EAD application and see if I am right. (I hope I am wrong.)

Yeah, but wouldn't you get a new extension for another 180 days? Some people say you can't put in another renewal when one is pending, but I also read on here that people say it is okay to do so.

I just read through the instructions on the USCIS website real quick, and it doesn't say anywhere you can't file a renewal when one is still pending. If I were in this situation, I would let my employer write a letter stating that they have to let me go if my extension expires and add that letter to the second renewal application with an explanation why you file again.

10 minutes ago, C90 said:

Yeah, but wouldn't you get a new extension for another 180 days? Some people say you can't put in another renewal when one is pending, but I also read on here that people say it is okay to do so.

I just read through the instructions on the USCIS website real quick, and it doesn't say anywhere you can't file a renewal when one is still pending. If I were in this situation, I would let my employer write a letter stating that they have to let me go if my extension expires and add that letter to the second renewal application with an explanation why you file again.

You can file another renewal while an old renewal application is pending. One also get 180 day automatic extension. 

But, read what your NOA1 says, the 180 day extension clock starts to tick on the day when your old EAD expires, NOT when you file the renewal.

In other words, the 180 days are right after the old EAD expires, not any 180 days after you file EAD renewal.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

OK, EVERYONE, I GOT AN UPDATE.

Read this, please. This is the most ridiculous thing that could have happened.

Finally got a reply from Katie Malone, who deals with immigration issues for my congressman.

32B795D2-C6D5-4DF9-81CD-74872C34BA6A.png

THANKS, USCIS AND KATIE, THAT’S EXACTLY WHY I NEED HELP ASAP. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
1 hour ago, JoJoJoJo said:

You can file another renewal while an old renewal application is pending. One also get 180 day automatic extension. 

But, read what your NOA1 says, the 180 day extension clock starts to tick on the day when your old EAD expires, NOT when you file the renewal.

In other words, the 180 days are right after the old EAD expires, not any 180 days after you file EAD renewal.

Yeah, but wouldn't the new 180 day extension start from the moment your old extension stops? I know with a 'normal' renewal it starts from the moment your EAD card expires, but we're beyond the point of normal right now. I would think USCIS would extend the 180 days with another 180 days. This might just be common sense and wishful thinking from our side. We all know that's not always USCIS's strongest point 

26 minutes ago, MajaMukanowska said:

Finally got a reply from Katie Malone, who deals with immigration issues for my congressman.

That just sucks. This is such a standard answer. Your congressman doesn't seem very involved either, that they're okay with an answer like this 😕

10 minutes ago, C90 said:

Yeah, but wouldn't the new 180 day extension start from the moment your old extension stops? I know with a 'normal' renewal it starts from the moment your EAD card expires, but we're beyond the point of normal right now. I would think USCIS would extend the 180 days with another 180 days. This might just be common sense and wishful thinking from our side. We all know that's not always USCIS's strongest point 

That just sucks. This is such a standard answer. Your congressman doesn't seem very involved either, that they're okay with an answer like this 😕

That is a great interpretation!

37 minutes ago, MajaMukanowska said:

Isn't 4-15 around the corner??

USCIS should just extend the EAD until AOS is approved or declined. Having 1year validity is only waste of time and money and resources for the applicants and USCIS themselves.

29 minutes ago, C90 said:

Having a great interpretation is one thing, I am just not sure whether this can go through my employer's E verify.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.