VB-100

How to apply for spouse visa? US citizen living overseas.

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Just a bit of background:

My wife and I are living in Australia from past 8 years and we have 2 kids together. I am an Australian Citizen (Australian by birth) and she is dual citizen (US by birth and lived in the US for 15 years and Australian because she immigrated here.) We have 2 kids who are Dual citizens (Australian by Birth and US because of their mother). What will be the process in my case? Does she need to move back to the US to sponsor me? or Can she apply from here? or Can I go on ESTA and apply from the US?

To show her domicile we have documents given below and my father in law is happy to be a co-sponsor:

1. We have enrolled our kids in the school for next year in the US.
  2. She's got savings account running from last 2 years.
  3. She has voted in last 2 elections. 
  4. She's got tax return of last 3 years ($0 amount).

Please guys your advice would be help for us.

Thanks

Vik

Edited by VB-100

She needs to file the I-130.  Follow the guides above.  The process can take well over a year.  Your kids can start school this fall if they have US Passports..  You can not adjust from the US but you can travel on ESTA.  You will interview in Australia.

You might be able to petition for Direct Consular filing under exceptional circumstances if your wife has a job lined up in the US. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

She needs to file the I-130.  Follow the guides above.  The process can take well over a year.  Your kids can start school this fall if they have US Passports..  You can not adjust from the US but you can travel on ESTA.  You will interview in Australia.

You might be able to petition for Direct Consular filing under exceptional circumstances if your wife has a job lined up in the US. 

Thanks for replying.

She doesn't have a job or lined -up one.

She doesn't want to move back alone so what are our options.

18 minutes ago, VB-100 said:

what are our options.

1.  You can file with the lockbox, the normal way, and that can take 12 to 14+ months.   During which you all stay in Australia.

2.  She lines up work in the US and you do a DCF.  This can cut the process down to 2 to 4 months.  Probably faster.  

3.  Everyone else moves this summer and you visit on esta.  You need to be prepared to show you still have strong ties back to Australia.  Your re entry is never guaranteed and you may not be allowed to enter.  This probably won't be what she wants since you can only really visit for half a year.

Also depending on your finances you may need a joint sponsor in the US.  The petitioner(wife's) income would need to be 125% above the poverty line for the family or you would need liquid assets of 3x the poverty line for your petition.

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

16 minutes ago, VB-100 said:

Thanks for replying.

She doesn't have a job or lined -up one.

She doesn't want to move back alone so what are our options.

Your wife needs to sponsor your visa to become a permanent resident and live in the US. To do that, she needs to file what's called an i-130 (https://www.uscis.gov/i-130)

You and your wife can live in Australia with your kids while that is being approved. That normally takes like 6-10 months but it depends on how quickly your file is approved. Some service centers in the US are faster than others. 

Once that is approved, your wife needs to prove she intends to re-establish domicile in the US. That means she needs to prove that she is going to move back and permanently live in the US. It's very difficult to prove that without first actually moving back to the US. So, while it sucks, there may be a month or two where she needs to move back to the US ahead of you while you wait in Australia for your interview and visa.

The whole process will likely take somewhere in the region of 12-14 months in order for you to get a visa. I suggest you scour this website for how the process works. There are tons of guides here to help you. But that is essentially the big picture. It'll take close to a year or more and your wife will likely have to move to the US ahead of you in order for you to satisfy the Consulate that she is now living permanently in the US.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The whole process from petition filing to visa in hand is currently taking 12 to 15 months.  6 to 10 is just to get the petition approved.  An approved petition is not a visa.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
23 hours ago, canadavisa22 said:

Your wife needs to sponsor your visa to become a permanent resident and live in the US

23 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

Also depending on your finances you may need a joint sponsor in the US.  The petitioner(wife's) income would need to be 125% above the poverty line for the family or you would need liquid assets of 3x the poverty line for your petition.

12 hours ago, pushbrk said:

The whole process from petition filing to visa in hand is currently taking 12 to 15 months.  6 to 10 is just to get the petition approved.  An approved petition is not a visa

Thanks Guys for replying.

Can my father-in-law be a co-sponsor because she doesn't want to get a job by herself while kids are going to school.

To show domicile she will move when kids School will start.

1 minute ago, VB-100 said:

Can my father-in-law be a co-sponsor

Yes he can.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
4 minutes ago, VB-100 said:

Can my father-in-law be a co-sponsor because she doesn't want to get a job by herself while kids are going to school.

Yes your father in law can

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
40 minutes ago, VB-100 said:

Your father in law can be "Joint Sponsor".  Your wife (and you if you wish) needs to study the I-864 instructions. If you don't, you'll never know what it is you DON'T know.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 3/20/2019 at 5:35 AM, Paul & Mary said:

1.  You can file with the lockbox, the normal way, and that can take 12 to 14+ months.   During which you all stay in Australia.

I'm sorry is there a requirement that the petitioner stay with the beneficiary while the sponsorship is in progress? I am asking because I'm planning to move back to America, get back to work and have my wife wait in India while the sponsorship is in progress..

50 minutes ago, metaxas said:

is there a requirement that the petitioner stay

If filing at the lockbox, no.   Petitioner can be anywhere in the world

I am almost to the end of this process (submitted docts to NVC, just waiting for them to be approved and then have the interview scheduled.) My husband lives here in Australia with me and has done so for the last 5 years so if you have any questions about the process, just let me know :)

Timeline
18 hours ago, alannah_rose said:

I am almost to the end of this process (submitted docts to NVC, just waiting for them to be approved and then have the interview scheduled.) My husband lives here in Australia with me and has done so for the last 5 years so if you have any questions about the process, just let me know :)

Thanks for offering your help Alannah.

We looking to submit the documents at some point in May.

This what we got so far to show my wife's domicile:

1. We have enrolled our kids in the school for next year in the US.
  2. She's got savings account running from last 2 years.
  3. She has voted in last 2 elections. 
  4. She's got tax return of last 3 years ($0 amount).
  5. I have my father-in-law's financial document (As a co-sponsor)

What else we need show?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.