VB-100

How to apply for spouse visa? US citizen living overseas.

18 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2019 at 10:48 AM, VB-100 said:

Thanks for offering your help Alannah.

We looking to submit the documents at some point in May.

This what we got so far to show my wife's domicile:

1. We have enrolled our kids in the school for next year in the US.
  2. She's got savings account running from last 2 years.
  3. She has voted in last 2 elections. 
  4. She's got tax return of last 3 years ($0 amount).
  5. I have my father-in-law's financial document (As a co-sponsor)

What else we need show?

Thats a lot more than I had, so you should be fine. We sent a letter saying that we intend to restablish domicile in the next 6 months, and had no problems (they accepted it). So you'll be fine with that. However, I would say that you are looking at, at least more than a year for the whole process. We're at just over a year since we submitted our paperwork (12 March 2018) and are waiting for NVC to accept our documents and schedule an interview. Hopefully it doesn't take that long for you guys, but good luck!

12 hours ago, alannah_rose said:

Thats a lot more than I had, so you should be fine. We sent a letter saying that we intend to restablish domicile in the next 6 months, and had no problems (they accepted it). So you'll be fine with that. However, I would say that you are looking at, at least more than a year for the whole process. We're at just over a year since we submitted our paperwork (12 March 2018) and are waiting for NVC to accept our documents and schedule an interview. Hopefully it doesn't take that long for you guys, but good luck!

Just a heads up that while NVC might have accepted the documents, it's not guaranteed the CO at your Consulate will. It varies by country on how strict they are in terms of intent to re-establish domicile. Is there an Australian forum on VJ? If you haven't already might be worth checking out to see what others in your situation have done. 

I'm from Canada and have been reading they're quite strict, so there are a few more things we have to do to prove our intent to re-domicile. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
On 3/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, VB-100 said:

Thanks for offering your help Alannah.

We looking to submit the documents at some point in May.

This what we got so far to show my wife's domicile:

1. We have enrolled our kids in the school for next year in the US.
  2. She's got savings account running from last 2 years.
  3. She has voted in last 2 elections. 
  4. She's got tax return of last 3 years ($0 amount).
  5. I have my father-in-law's financial document (As a co-sponsor)

What else we need show?

It's going to take you a while to go through the process for an immigration visa.  Unlikely to get one before the kids starts school in September if you are filing in May.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.