D & T

NAME CHANGE

57 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Greekwife said:

My understanding is that Name change involves a lot of trouble let alone money.

Afterall, it is just a label.

What is more important I think is what is behind the label  that literally being with your husband , whether with his or your surname 🙂

Name change is not just a label. Some of us consider taking our husband's last name very critical and important, just as important as the marriage itself. It's part of our new identity and an honor as married women. To some of us, it's part of our culture so it's not just a label. It's a milestone and part of our new identity.

34 minutes ago, D & T said:

Uff true that! Today’s attendant was awesome and super keen to change my name without any issues if It wouldn’t be because of this 2 weeks period gap.

I’ll keep you guys posted when I get back there!

Special thanks to @Cyberfx1024 who told me specifically to go to Greensboro’s office! Lol! I owe you and your wife a beer when you’re in Winston! 😄

Yay.... I am happy to help out when I could. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Dear Madam ,

I do understand in some cultures identity is purely a fluid social construct.

In this case,let’s hope the USCIS gives specific instructions on how to change the name and does not resort to “water-running” answers 😣.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, Greekwife said:

Dear Madam ,

I do understand in some cultures identity is purely a fluid social construct.

In this case,let’s hope the USCIS gives specific instructions on how to change the name and does not resort to “water-running” answers 😣.

"Identity is purely a fluid social construct."

You are definitely not good at hiding your condescending opinion. 

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Greekwife said:

Sorry blame Charles Cooley 🙂

He stated this theory openly 😉

No, I blame you for bringing it here and trying to hit people over the head with it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Dear Sir /Madam,

I understand you probably experience what we all experience following this immigration process.

However, blaming won’t help.

Besides, I think issue concerning name has been resolved which is great😃 

Best of luck to you and keep on smiling:-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The bickering stops now, please.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for the happy update.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 3/26/2019 at 11:05 AM, D & T said:

Guys, an update: I went to the the neighborhood city office and changed my name! Yayyyyy! 🥳🥳😘😘

Could you change your drivers license too?

My situation is a bit different, but I am too trying to change my last name.

I came to the US with K-1 visa, was married to this dude(lol) who ran away with his affair after a year of marriage, so we got divorced.

because I changed my last name to his name during the AOS, as soon as I got the divorce decree I tried to change my name on everything.

the SSN office changed it with no issue because my decree was saying my name was going back to my maiden name but DMV refused it because my name on USCIS data base is different. because I had a ROC pending with divorce waiver, I sent a letter to USCIS that I want to go back to my maiden name when I send them the divorce decree, but ...I just got the 10 years renewed green card and it is still under my ex's last name.

Now I am engaged,  we are looking to have a wedding next year but we are going to get married at the court this year first.. because we are doing a destination wedding and tax and the other benefits are better for us to be married first.

My soon to be hubby doesn't want to wait until i get citizenship to change my last name, he is willing to pay $540 to change it. 

I am the same way, but if I can change my SSN and driver license first, I don't mind waiting until the citizenship to get my last name changed on USCIS database. if you could change the drivers license name, I think I can change it too.. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 3/28/2019 at 1:09 PM, luvpark0825 said:

Could you change your drivers license too?

My situation is a bit different, but I am too trying to change my last name.

I came to the US with K-1 visa, was married to this dude(lol) who ran away with his affair after a year of marriage, so we got divorced.

because I changed my last name to his name during the AOS, as soon as I got the divorce decree I tried to change my name on everything.

the SSN office changed it with no issue because my decree was saying my name was going back to my maiden name but DMV refused it because my name on USCIS data base is different. because I had a ROC pending with divorce waiver, I sent a letter to USCIS that I want to go back to my maiden name when I send them the divorce decree, but ...I just got the 10 years renewed green card and it is still under my ex's last name.

Now I am engaged,  we are looking to have a wedding next year but we are going to get married at the court this year first.. because we are doing a destination wedding and tax and the other benefits are better for us to be married first.

My soon to be hubby doesn't want to wait until i get citizenship to change my last name, he is willing to pay $540 to change it. 

I am the same way, but if I can change my SSN and driver license first, I don't mind waiting until the citizenship to get my last name changed on USCIS database. if you could change the drivers license name, I think I can change it too.. 

Sorry my delay. Yes, after you change in your SSN you can change with DMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.