UKtoUSAsoon

International Driving Permit 1949 doesnt give full driver entitlements

49 posts in this topic

Ok, so just got am International Drivers Permit in UK to allow me to drive on my UK licence for upto one year (plan to take state test asap thou obviously )

My question is US use 1949 IDP which only gives entitlements A, B, C etc in relation to my Uk licence I hold C1 which allows over 3500kg upto 7500kg with trailer,  C in the permit is over 3500kg - this was npot stamped by the post office. Likewise I have D1 but the D was not stamped in the permit.

Is the post office wrong or because it doesnt show straight C or D , just C1 and D1 that it doesnt mean i can have those stamped in my permit ?

Hope that is clear ..lol

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

The International Driver's License/permit we get in Sweden are also valid for a year, but it doesn't mean we're allowed to drive with them for a year in the states. In CA for instance you're only allowed to drive with a foreign License (international or not) for 10 days when you move here. They require you to get a CA license.

You might have something different in the UK, don't know, just be aware just because it says "international" doesn't mean the US states approve you for driving with it for a whole year. Check your state's requirements. An "international" permit is usually a waste of money since you're not allowed to drive with it longer than you would with only your regular foreign license.

As a tourist you can drive for your whole stay though, I don't know if you're moving here or not.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Scandi said:

As a tourist you can drive for your whole stay though, I don't know if you're moving here or not.

You are correct.  Visitors can drive longer with their home-country licenses than can new residents in most states, I believe.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is this to visit or immigrate?

IDP is not needed anyway as they understand English and can read your license, bring both parts.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, missileman said:

You are correct.  Visitors can drive longer with their home-country licenses than can new residents in most states, I believe.

Yep, a year in most cases, Commercial is different and I seriously doubt there is any allowance there.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

i did research , and my undertstanding is you need to get DL within 30 days in FL once resident. Become resident by taking employment, register to vote, etc.  Im obviously going to try to get DL asap, as coming in on IR1 visa.

Just wondered why US use 1949 permit rather than the 1968 that other countries use and include the CR1 and DR1 entitlements

Although just checked if you are non resident can drive on IDP and DL from home country.

Only become resident If principle domicile in FL for more than 6 months, registered to vote or takes employment

Edited by UKtoUSAsoon
update

Timeline
3 minutes ago, UKtoUSAsoon said:

i did research , and my undertstanding is you need to get DL within 30 days in FL once resident. Become resident by taking employment, register to vote, etc.  Im obviously going to try to get DL asap, as coming in on IR1 visa.

Just wondered why US use 1949 permit rather than the 1968 that other countries use and include the CR1 and DR1 entitlements

They never signed it, others did not.

9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Is this to visit or immigrate?

IDP is not needed anyway as they understand English and can read your license, bring both parts.

it is needed to allow the ability to not need a FL licence immeditely 

4 minutes ago, UKtoUSAsoon said:

Register to vote only apply to citizen.

Check if you need to get your SSN before applying for you DL.

Timeline
1 minute ago, UKtoUSAsoon said:

it is needed to allow the ability to not need a FL licence immediately 

Your UK license is fine up to when you need to have a US one, you mentioned you had 30 days as a new resident, each State does its own thing and I do not know Florida requirements.

no ones answered my actual question :)

There is a benefit for my IDP in FL , ive got the FL DL handbook in front of me. Just to cover me whilst I arrange getting FL licence. 

So if I wanted to drive van over 3500kg which I can on my UK DL it doesnt matter that the IDP is not stamped with the C code ???  as my UK licence shows C1

Timeline
1 minute ago, UKtoUSAsoon said:

There is a benefit for my IDP in FL , ive got the FL DL handbook in front of me. Just to cover me whilst I arrange getting FL licence. 

So if I wanted to drive van over 3500kg which I can on my UK DL it doesnt matter that the IDP is not stamped with the C code ???  as my UK licence shows C1

I did, each State has its own rules, there is a Federal agreement to 1949 which States acknowledge. Sounds like you need to get your US license asap to do what you want to do.

2 minutes ago, UKtoUSAsoon said:

IDP is just a translation of different language from your country Driver License. 

I did go to my Secretary of State and inquire about IDP. They told me it is not a government issue documentation, it is just a translation of your DL by a private company.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, samuelam said:

IDP is just a translation of different language from your country Driver License. 

I did go to my Secretary of State and inquire about IDP. They told me it is not a government issue documentation, it is just a translation of your DL by a private company.

Could be handy in Florida?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.