ChibiBeckyG

Medical Ongoing Issues Docs

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi again all 

We're edging our way there! Got Medical soon and my Interview in April.

My main issue is ongoing medical issue reports. I have depression and dyspraxia but I only really have an in depth report for one of them (and it's a bit old but indepth if they need it...) . My depression is fairly mild and medication generally keeps it in check. Dyspraxia is harder to get a more recent report for as generally they don't diagnose for it after a certain age in the UK. Will this be an issue? I have the vaccination and my general patient history - GP is a bit resistant to do a report and has instead directed me to their online service (which I have to wait a few days to go live before I can see if it's any good) 

Anyone have any experience with this? I have all other evidence requested for the appointment and have emailed to offer them my Dyspraxia report. But I have nothing for the depression in terms of past reports (not even with the same GP that mostly handled it) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi,

I emigrated last year with my SEN child. If you want details of how I prepared for the medical here's my thread: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/674586-k2-visa-preparation-for-sen-child/?tab=comments#comment-9223915

Try not to worry too much about this stage. The staff at Knightsbridge are very nice and it's not at all as awful as we imagine. 

Doctor's surgeries operate differently but it can't hurt to write a letter, along with the print out of what is required by Knightsbridge, and personally hand it in to the practice administrator and explain what you need. In my experience, receptionists don't have a clue about what you are asking and don't understand the importance of the documents that are needed. Get on to it ASAP because they can be slow (took 4 weeks for them to write an A4 letter for us and we only just had it ready in time. It was ready on a Friday and our appointment at Knightsbridge was on the Monday.)

Timeline

I've sent them an email and just waiting to hear back. I think my GP is just keen to not have the extra work (which I totally understand) - but appointment is this Friday. I did stress to staff today that what I needed was important but doc seems to feel whatever's on my online surgery records will suffice. To be fair they were very prompt with all the other details I needed, it's just this one last thing ha. 

I do know I have another chance Wednesday, but might give Knightsbridge a call later in the afternoon tomorrow if I don't get an email response beforehand. 

Edited by ChibiBeckyG

Timeline

So you have a medical report for the Dyspraxia? If so this should suffice unless something has drastically changed since that last report. 

A medical letter regarding your depression however is definitely needed. If you are being prescribed medication then you will have a "report" as such in the form of your medical record and this is what the medical letter will be based on. They are not expecting an in depth evaluation.

This is essentially what they want to know

What is the diagnosis?  

What treatment are your receiving (name of the medication and dosage/counseling)?   

What is the duration of treatment and illness?  

Has there been any prior or subsequent mental health or illness?  

Have there been any incidents of self harm, harm to others or suicide attempts?  

What is the prognosis and the GPs opinion of the patient's mental state? (Basically they want assurance that you are not risk to yourself or others).

These are questions any competent GP can answer whether they know you or not as the information is all there in your record, and if they ( the GP) need more information write a letter about how you feel and provide them with some background information  and take it in with you to your appointment. It gives them an emotional insight your medical record most likely will lack. 

If your GP is unwilling to help you make an appointment with another. There are usually several to choose from in one practice.

Please do not worry, I hated the thought of having to prove to strangers that I was not dangerous just because I had been sad in the past. It worked out fine and I am headed off to be with my beloved in May. The people conducting the visa medicals are professional and kind.

Good luck.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Halee said:

So you have a medical report for the Dyspraxia? If so this should suffice unless something has drastically changed since that last report. 

A medical letter regarding your depression however is definitely needed. If you are being prescribed medication then you will have a "report" as such in the form of your medical record and this is what the medical letter will be based on. They are not expecting an in depth evaluation.

Yes I have one but it's a bit old, getting a new one is a bit awkward as Dyspraxia generally isn't assessed in adults. 

That is the one thing bugging me, I do have my patient history (as apparently this is a new requirement and had no problem getting this -it's very detailed!) so my diagnosis and medication are listed in that history , just not the part saying "this person is okay and isn't going to do a bad thing because they are sad sometimes" 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, ChibiBeckyG said:

I've sent them an email and just waiting to hear back. I think my GP is just keen to not have the extra work (which I totally understand) - but appointment is this Friday. I did stress to staff today that what I needed was important but doc seems to feel whatever's on my online surgery records will suffice. To be fair they were very prompt with all the other details I needed, it's just this one last thing ha. 

I do know I have another chance Wednesday, but might give Knightsbridge a call later in the afternoon tomorrow if I don't get an email response beforehand. 

I agree with Halee that the important documents are those concerning your depression. Dyspraxia shouldn't be a concern. The things they are concerned about are communicable diseases, risk of harm to self or others, and the possibility you will become a public charge. Having mild depression/anxiety should not be cause for concern. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, ChibiBeckyG said:

That is the one thing bugging me, I do have my patient history (as apparently this is a new requirement and had no problem getting this -it's very detailed!) so my diagnosis and medication are listed in that history , just not the part saying "this person is okay and isn't going to do a bad thing because they are sad sometimes" 

Your interview is with a doctor. They can judge that you are not severely depressed by your demeanour. Try not to stress. Do what you can to prepare, that's all you can do. They are nice people that try to put you at ease because they realise it is stressful. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Halee said:

That is because the medical letter is needed in ADDITION to the patient summary.  They are two separate documents that are required.

Oh I understand that - I do have an older letter that has basically what I need from my previous GP.  Going to print that out and go back to the surgery with it just to show all I'm looking for is a fairly short letter I think. Worst comes to worst I'll take it along as proof it was diagnosed as mild depression as it at least says that much and that I was put on medication (it's the same medication then as it is now)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Have you thought about how you wil get your medication once you get to US?

Will you have medical insurance when you get to US?

How long would you have to wait to be on insurance?

Do you have money to buy medication (and doctor's visit to get perscription)?

How much medication can you get in UK to bring with you?

Just other things to think about if you haven't.

Timeline

Thanks everyone - managed to convince GP to write a letter and this seemed to do the job. 

Visa Medical done today! So Now just got my Interview in about 2-3 weeks time (April 15th!)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
On 3/22/2019 at 7:41 PM, ChibiBeckyG said:

Thanks everyone - managed to convince GP to write a letter and this seemed to do the job. 

Visa Medical done today! So Now just got my Interview in about 2-3 weeks time (April 15th!)

Can I ask how detailed your letter was?

Hi everyone. I have my medical exam on Monday and getting stressed about it. My GP is being difficult about giving me a letter with details about mental health issues and I am unsure if I will be able to get this in time for my medical exam. If I do not have it for the exam, do you know if will they allow me to submit it later once my GP process my request?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Edit: I have all other required documents such as the summary and vaccination records.

Edited by ylhcw
Extra info

Timeline
12 hours ago, ylhcw said:

Hi everyone. I have my medical exam on Monday and getting stressed about it. My GP is being difficult about giving me a letter with details about mental health issues and I am unsure if I will be able to get this in time for my medical exam. If I do not have it for the exam, do you know if will they allow me to submit it later once my GP process my request?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Edit: I have all other required documents such as the summary and vaccination records.

Was the same position as you at first, though it wasn't that GP didn't want to do it so much as I think it was tricky making them understand that the patient records and such lacked statements vouching for my general well-being. Not sure if it's standard NHS costing or something that differs surgery to surgery - but I had to pay £25 and write a quick letter to my GP explaining why I needed the letter and what it needed to say. (In my case, that I was on medication and that I've never given my GP cause to worry that I may cause harm to myself or others) - to his credit he called back a day later and made sure that letter was available to me same day. Write a letter and say in it that you are more than happy to pay the fee if required - otherwise they will try to direct you to free access records, which is nice, but not what you need! 

For reference I had my appointment on the Friday - and got my letter from the GP Thursday. So you should still have time to get something, depends how busy the surgery is. 

For what it's worth the Knightsbridge team asked questions about my depression anyway and did fairly quick assessments on the spot. I'm unsure how much the letter helped - but it was taken in as part of my evidence. The doctors and nurses are super efficient but also very nice, I'd been anxious about the blood test all week but the doctor was very understanding and engaged in idle chitchat while trying to find a vein to tap into (5 attempts aaaa). 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.