Jump to content
Sbrisa

Visiting: letter from employer for FUTURE employment

19 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,
I'm posting this on the "Tourist Visas" section cause it's mainly related to the trip I'm planning to visit my fiancé in the US.
Brief background: we applied for a K-1 in December, got NOA1 on December 19th and we are still waiting for our case to be processed. Having said that, I decided to "risk" it and go visit him for a couple months, since I'm not working at the time and this is where my question comes from.
A couple weeks ago, I picked up my last check from my last employer and told him about my plan to visit my fiancé and he asked me when I will be back because he wants to hire me again in late June (it's a seasonal job so I go months without working).
Many members from Italy told me about similar experiences and they tried to reassure me by telling me it shouldn't be that hard to go through customs since Italy benefits from the VWP and I only visited him once for 3 weeks last year. Some of them didn't have a job either and some others did but didn't bring any paper to prove it and luckily they weren't even asked to.
In any case, they suggested that if that made me more confortable, I should have my boss sign some kind of paper/declaration, mentioning his plans to hire me not long after I'll be back.
The problem is, I can't find any letter sample for FUTURE employment, I've only found samples for CURRENT employment so far.
Any idea of what kind of letter should I look for/give him to sign? Or, any idea where I can find samples? Have you had similar experiences and want to share?
Thank you so much in advance. My boss doesn't speak English so it's all on me and I'm stuck.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I wouldn't bother with any documents. Especially if you have approved VWP already. No one will probably even look at any documents.


K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are no templates for such a letter. Moreover, US visa officers rarely, if ever, look at any documents. 

 

You have to apply for an ESTA online, no documents need to be uploaded afaik. 


I-751 journey

 

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

  xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roel said:

Eh, I wouldn't bother with any documents. Especially if you have approved VWP already. No one will probably even look at any documents.

Thank you Roel for your prompt answer! I'm just so paranoid that I'm also bringing with me the whole K-1 documentation just in case they pull me aside for a second investigation (it happened to one of the members who didn't have a job but they still let her through), so I just wanted to be 10000% prepared for it and I thought that letter wouldn't hurt. "Better safe than sorry" they say! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

There are no templates for such a letter. Moreover, US visa officers rarely, if ever, look at any documents. 

 

You have to apply for an ESTA online, no documents need to be uploaded afaik.  

Thank you! I applied for ESTA already last year before I visited him and it's still valid (checked last week).
Now that I think about it, last year I left 2 weeks after I was done working for the rest of the year and the officer asked me if I had a job so I said "not currently". He looked at me a little suspicious but not many other questions were asked and I went through no problem.
Although, I was only staying for 3 weeks and we weren't engaged at that time, so I thought this time they'd need more details and proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree a letter of future employment is irrelevant and when you push the edge there is nothing really you can do,  let us know how it goes.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bringing your NOA1 letter is a good idea.  If the CBP officer suspects that you plan to stay and adjust status, show the letter to help convince them that you intend to follow the right process for immigration.  If you get asked about your employment, you can say you're "between contracts" which seems accurate based on what you posted here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Boiler said:

I agree a letter of future employment is irrelevant and when you push the edge there is nothing really you can do,  let us know how it goes.

Thank you! If they do ask, I'm just gonna say I'm currently unemployed and eventually mention my boss's plans for late June. I'll let you know how it goes next week :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When going for a few weeks they do not tend to ask too many questions, just the basic ones which need basic replies.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ate said:

Bringing your NOA1 letter is a good idea.  If the CBP officer suspects that you plan to stay and adjust status, show the letter to help convince them that you intend to follow the right process for immigration.  If you get asked about your employment, you can say you're "between contracts" which seems accurate based on what you posted here.

 

Yeah, the NOA1 letter is the best way to show we are doing things legally and that we are aware of how the entire process works. I believe nobody would go through the K-1 and spend so much time, money and energy only to jeopardize their relationship/chance in the end by not respecting the law :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

When going for a few weeks they do not tend to ask too many questions, just the basic ones which need basic replies.

I'm gonna go for a couple months this time (around 75 days) that's why I got so worried :( I know I could technically stay up to 90 days but from the experiences I've heard, it's never a good thing to stay for the entire 90 days. Plus, I need to be home by June for work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 10:44 PM, Boiler said:

I agree a letter of future employment is irrelevant and when you push the edge there is nothing really you can do,  let us know how it goes.

Sorry about opening this thread again but....I'm here in the US now so everything went fine in the end.
Unfortunately I was too nervous and I must have made them a little suspicious, so the guy at POE told me to wait in a room cause he wanted to ask me a couple more questions. Two officers searched through my bags while the guy I initally met at POE kept asking me questions.
I had all the K-1 documents plus medical insurance, return ticket, NOA1 receipt, etc. but he barely looked at them, he only read through the bookmarks I attached to each document. He kept looking at me, at my passport while writing stuff on the computer.
After around 20 minutes he stamped my passport and he told me: "You were a little nervous today" so I said "Yeah I know... I'm just very tired".
After an overly dramatic suspance, he handed me my passport and said: "You're good to go" and all of a sudden he was smiling and the other two guys transitioned from bloodthirsty vampires into heavenly angels.
Before I left, one of them said:" You're gonna end up in that TLC show... (he meant "90 days fiancé")" so I said:"Oh god no please! Don't even get me started on that... it's just plain stupid" and they all started laughing.
Last thing they told me was:"Say hello to your boyfriend!" and then I left.
Maybe I should post the entire story on the "Yes you can visit!" topic and let people know that if I, a little shaky ball of fear and nervousness, got to pass with not many problems, they should definately be fine, as long as they're honest and they are lucky enough to find officers like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sbrisa said:

Sorry about opening this thread again but....I'm here in the US now so everything went fine in the end.
Unfortunately I was too nervous and I must have made them a little suspicious, so the guy at POE told me to wait in a room cause he wanted to ask me a couple more questions. Two officers searched through my bags while the guy I initally met at POE kept asking me questions.
I had all the K-1 documents plus medical insurance, return ticket, NOA1 receipt, etc. but he barely looked at them, he only read through the bookmarks I attached to each document. He kept looking at me, at my passport while writing stuff on the computer.
After around 20 minutes he stamped my passport and he told me: "You were a little nervous today" so I said "Yeah I know... I'm just very tired".
After an overly dramatic suspance, he handed me my passport and said: "You're good to go" and all of a sudden he was smiling and the other two guys transitioned from bloodthirsty vampires into heavenly angels.
Before I left, one of them said:" You're gonna end up in that TLC show... (he meant "90 days fiancé")" so I said:"Oh god no please! Don't even get me started on that... it's just plain stupid" and they all started laughing.
Last thing they told me was:"Say hello to your boyfriend!" and then I left.
Maybe I should post the entire story on the "Yes you can visit!" topic and let people know that if I, a little shaky ball of fear and nervousness, got to pass with not many problems, they should definately be fine, as long as they're honest and they are lucky enough to find officers like them.

Cool

 

And the bolded part above.. that's what we keep telling everyone. 


I-751 journey

 

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

  xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×