Jump to content
Yugo1996

Unsure if eligible for K-1

13 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone. 
I'm a U.S. Citizen currently living in Bosnia and Herzegovina, I am currently finishing up my degree in Computer Science and have been here for 7 years. My fiancee and I have been engaged for 5 years and have been living together since our engagement, and we have a 3 year old son together. 
We are gathering all the necessary documents needed to apply for a K-1/ I-129F, as I will be leaving for the states soon. When I get back, I will be living with my parents until I'm able to find a job and an apartment.
My only concern is that, will we get denied since I do not have a job in the U.S. and are my parents able to be their sponsor, they are also U.S. citizens and work in the states?

Thank you ahead, as any help is much appreciated! 

Edited by Yugo1996

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yugo1996 said:

Hello everyone. 
I'm a U.S. Citizen currently living in Bosnia and Herzegovina, I am currently finishing up my degree in Computer Science and have been here for 7 years. My fiancee and I have been engaged for 5 years and have been living together since our engagement, and we have a 3 year old son together. 
We are gathering all the necessary documents needed to apply for a K-1/ I-129F, as I will be leaving for the states soon. When I get back, I will be living with my parents until I'm able to find a job and an apartment.
My only concern is that, will we get denied since I do not have a job in the U.S. and are my parents able to be their sponsor, they are also U.S. citizens and work in the states?

Thank you ahead, as any help is much appreciated! 

yes your parents can sponsor, I would however recommend you look at your options

 

and chose between K1 and CR1

 

both pros and cons and what is best for your type of situation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yugo1996 said:

Hello everyone. 
I'm a U.S. Citizen currently living in Bosnia and Herzegovina, I am currently finishing up my degree in Computer Science and have been here for 7 years. My fiancee and I have been engaged for 5 years and have been living together since our engagement, and we have a 3 year old son together. 
We are gathering all the necessary documents needed to apply for a K-1/ I-129F, as I will be leaving for the states soon. When I got back, I will be living with my parents until I'm able to find a job and an apartment.
My only concern is that, will we get denied since I do not have a job in the U.S. and are my parents able to be their sponsor, they are also U.S. citizens and work in the states?

Thank you ahead, as any help is much appreciated! 

You should definitely consider a spousal visa instead of K1. Do you *have* to go back to the states soon? Someone will be here soon I'm sure to explain to you the benefits of one vs the other. 

 

You might have to prove your domicile in the U.S., depending on when you go back to US vs when you plan to file. So keep that in mind.

 

If your parents meet the income requirements they can sponsor you, it's okay if you don't have a job as long as parents qualify. 


4/14/2018 - Mailed I-129f

10/16/2018 - NOA2

11/13/2018 - NVC received 

11/29/2018 - Consulate received

12/12/2018 - P3

1/10/2019 - P4
3/27/2019 - Interview

4/4/2019 - Visa received 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, Thank you all. Making this a lot easier.

I could not find a DCF in my country but I will try and call the Embassy tomorrow.

We are open to getting married here in BiH and then applying for a CR-1, the only situation we have is that we don't want to be separated for too long. Which ever option gets us together faster is the option we are willing to go.  We were told that the K-1/I-129F is the fastest, and that it would take a while for them to obtain a Green Card and would not be able to leave the country, which isn't a problem for us.

I do not need to leave for the states, but I thought it was a requirement for me to live in the states and be domicile in order for them to get accepted. 

Thank you all again for such quick responses. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Yugo1996 said:

Firstly, Thank you all. Making this a lot easier.

I could not find a DCF in my country but I will try and call the Embassy tomorrow.

We are open to getting married here in BiH and then applying for a CR-1, the only situation we have is that we don't want to be separated for too long. Which ever option gets us together faster is the option we are willing to go.  We were told that the K-1/I-129F is the fastest, and that it would take a while for them to obtain a Green Card and would not be able to leave the country, which isn't a problem for us.

I do not need to leave for the states, but I thought it was a requirement for me to live in the states and be domicile in order for them to get accepted. 

Thank you all again for such quick responses. :)

these days the K1 is taking almost as long as the CR1 and the CR1 is a less expensive route, you can mail it from overseas and finish school while its in process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Yugo1996 said:

Firstly, Thank you all. Making this a lot easier.

I could not find a DCF in my country but I will try and call the Embassy tomorrow.

We are open to getting married here in BiH and then applying for a CR-1, the only situation we have is that we don't want to be separated for too long. Which ever option gets us together faster is the option we are willing to go.  We were told that the K-1/I-129F is the fastest, and that it would take a while for them to obtain a Green Card and would not be able to leave the country, which isn't a problem for us.

I do not need to leave for the states, but I thought it was a requirement for me to live in the states and be domicile in order for them to get accepted. 

Thank you all again for such quick responses. :)

you will have to show proof of domicile as part of the NVC process, many have used parents, address, started a bank account using that address or have a voters registration for that address, maybe a car loan or lease, anything that proves you have mail going to that address is proof of domicile.  

Edited by Khallaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yugo1996 said:

Firstly, Thank you all. Making this a lot easier.

I could not find a DCF in my country but I will try and call the Embassy tomorrow.

We are open to getting married here in BiH and then applying for a CR-1, the only situation we have is that we don't want to be separated for too long. Which ever option gets us together faster is the option we are willing to go.  We were told that the K-1/I-129F is the fastest, and that it would take a while for them to obtain a Green Card and would not be able to leave the country, which isn't a problem for us.

I do not need to leave for the states, but I thought it was a requirement for me to live in the states and be domicile in order for them to get accepted. 

Thank you all again for such quick responses. :)

K1 sounds right for you then. BUT, you don't need to be in the U.S. to apply for the K1 though, maybe not even for the Cr1/Ir1 either. You can stay with your fiance while the app processes - def for K1. Just need to prove domicile in U.S. or plans to re-establish at the interview stage.

 

I'll let others weigh in on domicile rules for spousal visa...


4/14/2018 - Mailed I-129f

10/16/2018 - NOA2

11/13/2018 - NVC received 

11/29/2018 - Consulate received

12/12/2018 - P3

1/10/2019 - P4
3/27/2019 - Interview

4/4/2019 - Visa received 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MeghanK said:

K1 sounds right for you then. BUT, you don't need to be in the U.S. to apply for the K1 though, maybe not even for the Cr1/Ir1 either. You can stay with your fiance while the app processes - def for K1. Just need to prove domicile in U.S. or plans to re-establish at the interview stage.

 

I'll let others weigh in on domicile rules for spousal visa...

you do not need to be in the USA to file for CR1, many have done it from overseas as long as you can prove the domicile requirement or the intention to re-establish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Khallaf said:

you do not need to be in the USA to file for CR1, many have done it from overseas as long as you can prove the domicile requirement or the intention to re-establish.

Nice! 

 

OP - if time apart is your only issue and you are personally able to stay with your fiance longer, you should strongly consider the spousal visa over K1


4/14/2018 - Mailed I-129f

10/16/2018 - NOA2

11/13/2018 - NVC received 

11/29/2018 - Consulate received

12/12/2018 - P3

1/10/2019 - P4
3/27/2019 - Interview

4/4/2019 - Visa received 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all greatly!

Really happy to hear, that I do not need to go to the states and leave my family in order for them to be able to obtain a Visa. I have a few months until I finish school. I will go ahead and move on with the CR1 as it makes the most sense to be honest.

Thank you all very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×