Eseskay

K-1 VISA (ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING)

20 posts in this topic

Hi, I gave my interview for K-1 (spouse visa) at the U.S embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan, on the 20th of Feb 2019. I showed proof of my relationship with my (now) Fiance of 6 years. We have met in 5 countries and i showed the interviewer everything she asked me. I answered all of her questions and she seemed satisfied. After the interview was done she told me and i quote "We have approved your Visa, you will get a mail by american express in two weeks". She then typed something on the computer and i asked her again that does she need anything else and she replied with a no. I then left being super excited and happy but a week later i go on and check my Visa status, it had been turned to Administrative processing. According to my research i have realized that AP is very common for K-1. My question to anyone who's reading this and has some information about this, is that is possible for them to reject my visa? Why haven't they asked me or emailed me anything yet if they need further proof? What should i do next? should i send them an email? is this normal? 
Thank you so much in advance for your response.

15 minutes ago, Eseskay said:

Hi, I gave my interview for K-1 (spouse visa) at the U.S embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan, on the 20th of Feb 2019. I showed proof of my relationship with my (now) Fiance of 6 years. We have met in 5 countries and i showed the interviewer everything she asked me. I answered all of her questions and she seemed satisfied. After the interview was done she told me and i quote "We have approved your Visa, you will get a mail by american express in two weeks". She then typed something on the computer and i asked her again that does she need anything else and she replied with a no. I then left being super excited and happy but a week later i go on and check my Visa status, it had been turned to Administrative processing. According to my research i have realized that AP is very common for K-1. My question to anyone who's reading this and has some information about this, is that is possible for them to reject my visa? Why haven't they asked me or emailed me anything yet if they need further proof? What should i do next? should i send them an email? is this normal? 

Everyone goes through AP. It’s completely normal. Ap can take Days, week’s, months or years. Emailing and calling won’t change it. There’s nothing you can do to speed it up just keep checking your case status. Did they take your passport at the interview?

also the k-1 is not a spouse visa. I hope you didn’t say that at the interview 

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Eseskay said:

more importantly what does CEAC show for a case status? AP? and at the top immigrant or non immigrant?

58 minutes ago, Eseskay said:

Q1. According to my research i have realized that AP is very common for K-1.

AP Status After Interview  - What is it?

No one can say with any certainty when your visa will be issued. Administrative processing is at its most frustrating when it goes on for several months. Typically this is caused by a consular post waiting for a response on some form of advisory opinion. Although, as was experienced in 2014 and 2015, processing delays may also result from system failures in the Consular Consolidated Database (CCD) and more recently due to additional administrative hurdles such as the recent flurry of executive orders regarding visa issuance. We have seen some who have experienced very long delays sometimes beyond a year. But those are rare. I hate to sing the same tune but patience is what is needed.

Just about everyone gets this after their interview.  Based on the discussions I had with the case officer he informed me of these steps:

the first AP is the immigration unit doing the paperwork for approving the visa

the first ready is a notice that they are finished and the paperwork is being sent for visa issuance

the second AP is the visa issuance people doing their own paperwork

the second ready is that the visa has been issued and is currently being processed for delivery

Then "issue" is posted and the visa has left the BIG house to YOUR house.

Once you get that second ready, it should be sent out within a few days, although we received our visa before any of the various websites that allow you to look up the status said that it had been sent out.

So using CEAC this is what you will see just after the interview:

When the Embassy is ready to issue a visa, it will change to "Nonimmigrant Visa Application"; at that time, you will know that you are a few days away from getting the visa. It will go from "Immigrant Visa Application" to "Nonimmigrant Visa Application" status and then your visa changes to "Ready" ==> "Administrative Processing" ==>> "Issued" status as well. These steps sometimes transpire over a day or even a few days. Some smaller Embassy's it happens within hours.

Sometimes, it might skip "Administrative Processing" and go from "Ready" to "Issued".

Q2. My question to anyone who's reading this and has some information about this, is that is possible for them to reject my visa? Yes they can reject a visa but it's rarely done at the interview but does happen for a variety of reasons too many to list here.

Q3. Why haven't they asked me or emailed me anything yet if they need further proof? Because they are working on their schedule and not yours. When it is appropriate they will contact you but until then you have to sit tight till the finish adjudicating your case. As others will tell you then can be days, weeks, months or years before the issue a visa.

Q4. What should i do next?  WAIT

Q5. Should i send them an email? It's too early for that. Give it a few weeks and if nothing then email but emailing them is not going to move your case forward.

Q6. is this normal? Everyone goes through AP. Use CEAC and follow the status of your case and review from above the different status you will be in before it's issued.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

4 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Q1. According to my research i have realized that AP is very common for K-1.

AP Status After Interview  - What is it?

No one can say with any certainty when your visa will be issued. Administrative processing is at its most frustrating when it goes on for several months. Typically this is caused by a consular post waiting for a response on some form of advisory opinion. Although, as was experienced in 2014 and 2015, processing delays may also result from system failures in the Consular Consolidated Database (CCD) and more recently due to additional administrative hurdles such as the recent flurry of executive orders regarding visa issuance. We have seen some who have experienced very long delays sometimes beyond a year. But those are rare. I hate to sing the same tune but patience is what is needed.

Just about everyone gets this after their interview.  Based on the discussions I had with the case officer he informed me of these steps:

the first AP is the immigration unit doing the paperwork for approving the visa

the first ready is a notice that they are finished and the paperwork is being sent for visa issuance

the second AP is the visa issuance people doing their own paperwork

the second ready is that the visa has been issued and is currently being processed for delivery

Then "issue" is posted and the visa has left the BIG house to YOUR house.

Once you get that second ready, it should be sent out within a few days, although we received our visa before any of the various websites that allow you to look up the status said that it had been sent out.

So using CEAC this is what you will see just after the interview:

When the Embassy is ready to issue a visa, it will change to "Nonimmigrant Visa Application"; at that time, you will know that you are a few days away from getting the visa. It will go from "Immigrant Visa Application" to "Nonimmigrant Visa Application" status and then your visa changes to "Ready" ==> "Administrative Processing" ==>> "Issued" status as well. These steps sometimes transpire over a day or even a few days. Some smaller Embassy's it happens within hours.

Sometimes, it might skip "Administrative Processing" and go from "Ready" to "Issued".

Q2. My question to anyone who's reading this and has some information about this, is that is possible for them to reject my visa? Yes they can reject a visa but it's rarely done at the interview but does happen for a variety of reasons too many to list here.

Q3. Why haven't they asked me or emailed me anything yet if they need further proof? Because they are working on their schedule and not yours. When it is appropriate they will contact you but until then you have to sit tight till the finish adjudicating your case. As others will tell you then can be days, weeks, months or years before the issue a visa.

Q4. What should i do next?  WAIT

Q5. Should i send them an email? It's too early for that. Give it a few weeks and if nothing then email but emailing them is not going to move your case forward.

Q6. is this normal? Everyone goes through AP. Use CEAC and follow the status of your case and review from above the different status you will be in before it's issued.

Thank you so much for taking your time out and replying to this. You've been a great help! 

4 hours ago, Khallaf said:

more importantly what does CEAC show for a case status? AP? and at the top immigrant or non immigrant?

hi thank you for your reply. The CEAC website shows AP and it says non-immigrant on top. 

4 hours ago, K & R said:

Everyone goes through AP. It’s completely normal. Ap can take Days, week’s, months or years. Emailing and calling won’t change it. There’s nothing you can do to speed it up just keep checking your case status. Did they take your passport at the interview?

also the k-1 is not a spouse visa. I hope you didn’t say that at the interview 

Hi. They did take my passport and the lady said "we are approving your visa" 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Eseskay said:

Thank you so much for taking your time out and replying to this. You've been a great help! 

hi thank you for your reply. The CEAC website shows AP and it says non-immigrant on top. 

as long as it has moved to non immigrant that would indicate that it is nearing the finish

Just now, Khallaf said:

as long as it has moved to non immigrant that would indicate that it is nearing the finish

@Greenbaum Is that true what he just said? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Eseskay said:

understandable you would not believe me but I do believe he previously said this.

3 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

i think K-1 is a non-immigrant visa and i think it has always been in the non-immigrant section. 

Timeline
Just now, Eseskay said:

i think K-1 is a non-immigrant visa and i think it has always been in the non-immigrant section. 

all visa's start out with it being listed as immigrant, in the K1 is nearing its completion it gets changed to non immigrant

Just now, Khallaf said:

understandable you would not believe me but I do believe he previously said this.

Oh okay! i'm sorry. I'm only ignorant about this. Thanks for taking your time out and helping me out! thank you so much. 

4 minutes ago, Eseskay said:

Yes he is right. :thumbs:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
Just now, Eseskay said:

Oh okay! i'm sorry. I'm only ignorant about this. Thanks for taking your time out and helping me out! thank you so much. 

the reason it goes to non immigrant is your given a visa good for only 90 days once you enter the USA, then you decide to make it permanent when you do marry in the 90 days and file for AOS

Just now, Greenbaum said:

Yes he is right. :thumbs:

FY lol I am a SHE I know the name can be confusing.

2 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

all visa's start out with it being listed as immigrant, in the K1 is nearing its completion it gets changed to non immigrant

That's good news i guess because it was non-immigrant since 22nd and i gave my interview on the 20th of Feb 2019. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.