LeeWanner

Approved i-129! How long before interview?

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I've scheduled a round trip visit lasting one month to have an engagement party with my fiancee in Indonesia for late May through to the middle of June. I hope to bring her back to the USA with me on my return flight. I received a message from the NVC on March 5th that my approved petition has been forwarded to the Embassy in Jakarta and I'm wonder - how long before the interview? The return flight is 3 months and 8 days from now and I'm really hoping everything will be sorted by then. I received my NOA2 back on January 21st and it states the approval is good until May 20th, so I'm assuming the interview would be before that expiration day - is that correct?

Thanks for your time. Any feedback and/or personal experience is welcome and appreciated!
Lee

20 minutes ago, LeeWanner said:

Hello everyone!

I've scheduled a round trip visit lasting one month to have an engagement party with my fiancee in Indonesia for late May through to the middle of June. I hope to bring her back to the USA with me on my return flight. I received a message from the NVC on March 5th that my approved petition has been forwarded to the Embassy in Jakarta and I'm wonder - how long before the interview? The return flight is 3 months and 8 days from now and I'm really hoping everything will be sorted by then. I received my NOA2 back on January 21st and it states the approval is good until May 20th, so I'm assuming the interview would be before that expiration day - is that correct?

Thanks for your time. Any feedback and/or personal experience is welcome and appreciated!
Lee

It is always advisable that you do not book  flight tickets before the visa in in the passport and delivered to you. With immigration anything can go wrong. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Be VERY careful about the "engagement party".  If your party could be seen as a marriage per local laws/customs, it could result in being "too married for a K-1 visa".  This has happened numerous times here on VJ over the past 3 years........a word to the wise is sufficient.....as my 8th grade History teacher always said.  It is usually recommended to avoid these.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

14 minutes ago, LeeWanner said:

Hello everyone!

Lee

I don't know specific timelines for Indonesia (check in the sub-regional forum for a better idea), but middle of June/3 months might be enough time with absolutely no errors. The petition expiration isn't automatically connected in anyway to how fast your timeline to interview/visa will or will not move. They are all given 4 months, some consulates get backed up well beyond those four months and automatically extend the petition, so it doesn't mean your interview HAS TO be before then. Make sure she has EVERYTHING in order for the interview so she doesn't get stuck having to submit more stuff afterwards and get stuck in Administrative Processing. 

Bottom line, there is really no predicting a timeline at this stage. You can look at typical averages and hope yours has no hiccups, but if you haven't booked her return flight yet, book a refundable one, and consider she might not be coming back with you on that date. It could happen, but it also could not.  

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Interview 3/27/2019 (Approved)
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:
Filed I-485, I-131, I-765 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

EAD/AP Approved 11/12/2019

Interview 2/20/2020 (Approved pending missing medical)
Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022
Text message received 2/22/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022
Biometrics Waved 3/28/2022

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

@LeeWanner

It doesnt mean you have to do interview before approval expiration date, theres a lot people do the interview after exp. Date. You can read this article to have information about it.

https://www.visatutor.com/how-to-extend-your-i-129f-validity/

For your case, the best option if you want to have your fiance be with you while you return to US is to do interview as soon as possible. I assume she will receive the P3 (instruction for intvw) at the end of march or early April. And the interview date usually about 2-4 weeks after she reply the P3.

So you have to make sure she has everything for interview (6 weeks to prepare affidavit of support, medical check up,etc). Normally, if everything went smooth she will receive her visa about 4-7 day after interview, and the visa it self will be good 6 month after medical. 

Good luck

Edited by yuni_yuni

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.