nakuke

Upcoming TDY for A-School and PCS to a New Duty Station

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Good Afternoon,

My wife and I were married in Dec of 2018 and we applied for AOS which was received on January 31 of this year. I have received orders to attend a 3-month A-School (like tech school or AIT but for the USCG) during which time my wife will remain in the San Francisco Bay area and I will be living in barracks in Yorktown Virginia. After I finish school, I will receive orders to PCS elsewhere; I don't know where it could be to stay in SF but at another unit, or go to Florida or New York or Guam. 

It seems that the processing time for AOS from a K-1 in the San Francisco office is taking about 1.5 to 2 years. Which is long even for AOS compared to other offices (such as Kentucky which is taking like 3 months!). This will be my first PCS and I am going to be honest I have no idea what I am doing. I am wondering what would happen to my case when I PCS. I know she has to fill out a change of address form and report her new address to DHS - does this mean that the I-485 AOS case will be transferred from San Francisco to the most local office at our new unit? Or are we going to have to fly over here to do an interview if its after we PCS? Our status says "ready for an interview" although we don't have a date scheduled yet. If it is schedules while I am in A-School in Virginia, is she going to be able to complete the interview without me? 

Should I call USCIS and inform them that I will be TDY to another state and can't attend an intervie wif one is scheduled at that time? The only thing the website states is for members stationed overseas or deployed. 

Lastly this may be a longshot but would it be a possibility to get the case expedited due to the upcoming PCS? The USCG is the ugly little brother of the Pentagon and we don't have big legal offices on base like the rest of the services. Our office is one guy who has no idea what he's doing and a petty officer who acts as a paralegal. I don't know if I can use legal services at Travis AFB which is the nearest DoD base. 

I also read on the USCIS website there's some sort of email address for military. Is that true?

Thank you for your help.

K-1 Fiancé Visa

01/17/2018: I-129F Sent

01/19/2018: NOA1 Received

08/03/2018: NOA2 Received

11/01/2018: K-1 Visa Interview

12/12/2018: Married in U.S.

Adjustment of Status

02/01/2019: I-485, EAD and AP Filed

02/15/2019: I-485, EAD and AP NOA1

08/07/2019: EAD and AP Approved

10/29/2019: Interview for AOS

30 minutes ago, nakuke said:

Good Afternoon,

My wife and I were married in Dec of 2018 and we applied for AOS which was received on January 31 of this year. I have received orders to attend a 3-month A-School (like tech school or AIT but for the USCG) during which time my wife will remain in the San Francisco Bay area and I will be living in barracks in Yorktown Virginia. After I finish school, I will receive orders to PCS elsewhere; I don't know where it could be to stay in SF but at another unit, or go to Florida or New York or Guam. 

It seems that the processing time for AOS from a K-1 in the San Francisco office is taking about 1.5 to 2 years. Which is long even for AOS compared to other offices (such as Kentucky which is taking like 3 months!). This will be my first PCS and I am going to be honest I have no idea what I am doing. I am wondering what would happen to my case when I PCS. I know she has to fill out a change of address form and report her new address to DHS - does this mean that the I-485 AOS case will be transferred from San Francisco to the most local office at our new unit? Or are we going to have to fly over here to do an interview if its after we PCS? Our status says "ready for an interview" although we don't have a date scheduled yet. If it is schedules while I am in A-School in Virginia, is she going to be able to complete the interview without me? 

Should I call USCIS and inform them that I will be TDY to another state and can't attend an intervie wif one is scheduled at that time? The only thing the website states is for members stationed overseas or deployed. 

Lastly this may be a longshot but would it be a possibility to get the case expedited due to the upcoming PCS? The USCG is the ugly little brother of the Pentagon and we don't have big legal offices on base like the rest of the services. Our office is one guy who has no idea what he's doing and a petty officer who acts as a paralegal. I don't know if I can use legal services at Travis AFB which is the nearest DoD base. 

I also read on the USCIS website there's some sort of email address for military. Is that true?

Thank you for your help.

Ok, you have quite a bit of things going on here so I will try and dissect them as best as I can. I am going to go off of the assumption that your spouse will NOT be at your school with you due to the short school you have. So you will be a unaccompanied bachelor in the barracks in the Hampton Road area. 

1. Do not worry about PCSing somewhere else because you will know ahead of time where you will be going to BEFORE you graduate your school. That is unless you either do not make it pass the school and have to re-do training, you get re-classed, or some kind of national emergency happens. 

2. You more than likely will not get it expedited because you will not go abroad once you PCS which is the usual requirement for a expedite. 

3. If she has the interview and you are in school at the time then it is not a issue if you she goes alone with copies of your orders showing that you are in VA. 

No expedite for you. You're just moving within UsA... if that was a reason for expedite a lot of people would be claiming it also. Your spouse can take your orders to the interview and explain why you're not attending. 

You wrote a long post where you are basically trying to complicate things for yourself where there is nothing complicate to begin with.  😛

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm kind of in the same situation as you are.  I will be PCSing in December.  I know I will be stationed overeseas, so I'm just waiting on my official copy of orders, so I can send to USCIS to hopefully get an expedite for my wife for her green card interview.  

33 minutes ago, edmtn said:

I'm kind of in the same situation as you are.  I will be PCSing in December.  I know I will be stationed overeseas, so I'm just waiting on my official copy of orders, so I can send to USCIS to hopefully get an expedite for my wife for her green card interview.  

Your situation is actually different a lot. PCS overseas is somewhat reason for expedite where PCS within US is not. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
11 hours ago, Roel said:

No expedite for you. You're just moving within UsA... if that was a reason for expedite a lot of people would be claiming it also. Your spouse can take your orders to the interview and explain why you're not attending. 

You wrote a long post where you are basically trying to complicate things for yourself where there is nothing complicate to begin with.  😛

Thank you. Although some places I might get stationed can be remote example if we're stationed in Valdez Alaska getting to a USCIS office is not really an easy task

Edited by nakuke

K-1 Fiancé Visa

01/17/2018: I-129F Sent

01/19/2018: NOA1 Received

08/03/2018: NOA2 Received

11/01/2018: K-1 Visa Interview

12/12/2018: Married in U.S.

Adjustment of Status

02/01/2019: I-485, EAD and AP Filed

02/15/2019: I-485, EAD and AP NOA1

08/07/2019: EAD and AP Approved

10/29/2019: Interview for AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.