Justin13123

Please what's the chance of approval for visitor's visa for my child

10 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I really need the advise of experienced people on here.

Here is my dilemma:

I have a child with a lady whose half-sister is in the Military here in the US. My child and the mom are based in Africa. The half-sister is about to graduate Military Technical school and she wants to invite my Baby mama to attend her graduation. I do not have any objection to her coming to attend her sister's graduation provided she can hand over my child to someone that will be able to take care of her while she's here in the US for the graduation. Based off of what we discussed, my baby mama wouldn't leave the child behind in Africa, she plans on bringing the baby along. Mind you, the child is just 4 years old. What chance does she have of being granted a visa alongside with the child? 

Myself, I'm also in the military but I will not be graduating my Technical school until 3 Months after my Baby-mama's sister graduates hers. Mind you, I'm planning on having my child witness my graduation as well.

My dilemma now is, what if my baby-mama's visa application to attend her sister's graduation is denied, will it not have any adverse effects on the application for my child to come for my graduation because I'm going to be inviting both of them (Baby mama and Child) since the child is still a minor.?

Let's assume she got approved for her to see her sister graduate, can they remain in the US till I graduate so that my child can see me graduate as well before they return back to Africa?

Can she mention it to the IO during the interview that the child's father (Me) is also in the military and will be graduating soon, will that increase or decrease the chance of them getting approved?

I really want my child to be here to see me when I'm graduating but I cannot have only the child here without the mommy accompany her. 

I'm definitely at a cross road now.

Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The child is not a USC?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

The child is not a USC?

Thanks Boiler for your response. No the child is not a USC. I, being the father, am a LPR, soon to be a USC after graduating the Tech School. I know once I become a USC, my child automatically becomes one as well, but while I'm waiting on that, I just want the child to visit temporarily to watch me graduate the Tech School.

12 minutes ago, Justin13123 said:

Thanks Boiler for your response. No the child is not a USC. I, being the father, am a LPR, soon to be a USC after graduating the Tech School. I know once I become a USC, my child automatically becomes one as well, but while I'm waiting on that, I just want the child to visit temporarily to watch me graduate the Tech School.

Mentioning you at the interview for her tourist visa will not increase the chances of the visa being granted, no.  And if she is denied for a visitor visa this time, she will have to reapply to be able to bring your child over.

An initial denial will not improve the chances for a subsequent approval.

Also: the baby mama will be evaluated ONLY on her likelihood of returning to her country.  Family/baby daddy in the US MUST be disclosed.  

49 minutes ago, Justin13123 said:

Just a point: unless the child is living in your physical and legal custody in the US on a green card, he will not automatically become a citizen when you do. 

21 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Just a point: unless the child is living in your physical and legal custody in the US on a green card, he will not automatically become a citizen when you do. 

You're absolutely right. My choice of word "automatic" is inadequate in the context in which I used it. I was meaning to say once I become a USC, I can file a greencard application for her and then citizenship later. 

1 minute ago, Justin13123 said:

You're absolutely right. My choice of word "automatic" is inadequate in the context in which I used it. I was meaning to say once I become a USC, I can file a greencard application for her and then citizenship later. 

1) Citizenship would be automatic upon entering on the immigrant visa...no need to file anything or even do anything (except getting a US passport as evidence of US citizenship).

2) You can file an I-130 now...no need to wait for citizenship. It can be upgraded later to an IR-2 visa later if/when you naturalize.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

22 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Mentioning you at the interview for her tourist visa will not increase the chances of the visa being granted, no.  And if she is denied for a visitor visa this time, she will have to reapply to be able to bring your child over.

An initial denial will not improve the chances for a subsequent approval.

Thanks for your response. I'm more worried about the Babymama's application being denied the first time and then reapplying months later for the same purpose, military graduation. I don't want her to appear desperate to the Consular Officers and thereby getting denied again. Thank you once again. I will tell her to home work properly...

5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

1) Citizenship would be automatic upon entering on the immigrant visa...no need to file anything or even do anything (except getting a US passport as evidence of US citizenship).

2) You can file an I-130 now...no need to wait for citizenship. It can be upgraded later to an IR-2 visa later if/when you naturalize.

Thank you for your contribution. Yes, I'm already working towards the 2nd point you listed above. It makes more sense to file I-130 now and upgrade later after becoming a USC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.