AmandaandChayne

Child support nightmare.

84 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Not sure how anybody can answer that as it is a State issue,

It seems it may be a federal issue due to time and amounts involved. 

Late 2016: Met playing Clash of Kings the West

Feb 2017: Started online "dating"

May 2017: Met in Orlando

July 2017: Arkansas and Seminole (1 night) visit

October 2017: Washington DC visit.

December 2017: Seminole OKC home visit and Amanda  met Chayne's kids and dad.

January 2018:  York England visit Chayne met Amanda's son.

April 2018: London/Paris/York visit we got engaged on April 6th!!

April 19th 2018: packet sent

April 23rd 2018: USPS say packet signed for.

April 25th 2018: Electronic NOA1 received 

April 26th 2018: Cheque Cashed

April 30th 2018: hard copy NOA1 received

June 2018: Seminole visit, Amanda met Chayne's  adult son

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
51 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Mine is the later of 18 or graduated from high school with a max of 20 if they are still in high school but not yet graduated 

And no alimony after that? My husband pays $2500 (already taxed) in family support. After the youngest kid turns 19 he still has to pay alimony $2500 (not yet taxed) until his ex wife turns 67. After that it's $700 forever.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Jon & Ygritte said:

And no alimony after that? My husband pays $2500 (already taxed) in family support. After the youngest kid turns 19 he still has to pay alimony $2500 (not yet taxed) until his ex wife turns 67. After that it's $700 forever.

You are introducing facts not in evidence as the OP was asking about child support ONLY.  Alimony is a totally different animal and can run for a designated period of time or until the receiver dies.  

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

You are introducing facts not in evidence as the OP was asking about child support ONLY.  Alimony is a totally different animal and can run for a designated period of time or until the receiver dies.  

I was surprised it was only child support, so am asking if that's correct. Sorry if I overstepped.

Timeline
Just now, Jon & Ygritte said:

I was surprised it was only child support, so am asking if that's correct. Sorry if I overstepped.

If spousal maintenance was involved then it would certainly be a part of the discussion.   Some states however  are "no alimony" states.  I was able to "buy out" my spousal maintenance obligation up front with the agreement that she could NEVER go back to court to ask for an adjustment 

YMMV

2 hours ago, AmandaandChayne said:

Yet to be proven he just got the letter. It’s going to take a little time to prove and he will still have to pay her through them for eternity now. I had no 221g so no evidence has yet been requested. 

It is not difficult to prove that past payments have been made, as long as it was though a check or electronic draft.  All those records are easily gotten.

36 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

No, child support will end when the child turns 18 and by definition is no longer a child.

Unless the final decree specifies otherwise.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Unless the final decree specifies otherwise.

And typically does

YMMV

1 hour ago, AmandaandChayne said:

A federal case for non payment of child support? Questions his character and ability to support me I guess. 

If he has been paying the court-ordered payment without missing any, there is no "non-payment."  Just because she wants more $$ does not make it into a non-payment situation.  Any change in payment amount would have to be court-ordered.

7 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

It is not difficult to prove that past payments have been made, as long as it was though a check or electronic draft.  All those records are easily gotten.

Agreed just to  get back to my original question if indeed the case has become federal which it appears it may have  could this get my Visa denied.

Guessing nobody actually knows

event.png

3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

If he has been paying the court-ordered payment without missing any, there is no "non-payment."  Just because she wants more $$ does not make it into a non-payment situation.  Any change in payment amount would have to be court-ordered.

Either way a case has been raised by human services for non payment  and the burden of proof is on him now which will take time to be processed. 

Being in administrative processing which I have been post interview for 41 days now gives us major cause for concern that this is what is  causing the hold up 

Edited by AmandaandChayne

event.png

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

And most likely since she went to human services she may have elected to process payment via the state collection system which requires them to reconcile the account in order to determine current/arrears balances.   Been there,  done that 

YMMV

1 minute ago, AmandaandChayne said:

Agreed just to  get back to my original question if indeed the case has become federal which it appears it may have  could this get my Visa denied.

Guessing nobody actually knows

It's not an issue for your case. As other stated, the maximum the federal government's involvement in this is they will not issue passports to your spouse/fiancee if it is determined that he owes child support. 

Timeline
Just now, USS_Voyager said:

It's not an issue for your case. As other stated, the maximum the federal government's involvement in this is they will not issue passports to your spouse/fiancee if it is determined that he owes child support. 

Yup, not a cross border situation 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.