Scottish Mernymph

Round trip airline ticket on a K-1

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
52 minutes ago, josandme said:

Buy a return ticket 90 days from your entry date. 

It doesn't have to be any particular number of days. But if you think you might want to bail out, then you have a way home.

18 hours ago, Scottish Mernymph said:

It's cheaper, much, much cheaper to buy a round trip ticket than a one-way......so is there any good reason why I can't/shouldn't just book a round trip ticket & cancel the return once I'm over there?

The potentail issues would perhaps be

1. at the check-in desk, why would I be travelling on a K-1 but booking a return flight
2. at POE, again why would I book a roundtrip coming in on a K-1

I don't want to give the airline, & certainly not POE any reason to turn me away.....but it's such a MASSIVE price hike.

Oh my god I had a nightmare with this! I was on a k-1 visa and I booked a round trip. I was flying with Virgin Atlantic in Manchester airport and they were confused as to why I had a round trip booked when I was going on a k-1 visa. I had to explain to about 3 check in people and then the manager that It was cheaper that way.They then said they're going to call US immigration and then finally gave me my tickets. NEVER AGAIN! BOOK ONE WAY! It was awful lol

Edited by Tea_pgtips
l

03/01/2019 - USCIS Chicago lockbox received case  for AOS/EAD/AP

03/21/2019 - NOA1 received hard copy via post (Notice date 03/14/2019)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

It doesn't have to be any particular number of days. But if you think you might want to bail out, then you have a way home.

Even if you don't want to bail out, this would actually be a good excuse to tell the airline check-in staff, wouldn't it?  "Look, what if it doesn't work out and we don't get married in 90 days?  Don't you watch 90-Day Fiance?!  I need a way home!" :lol:  I wonder if anyone has ever tried that out...

10 hours ago, jakejon said:

I done Norwegian dirt cheap 1 way from Gatwick-perfect excuse for me to try them! Easyjet have this awesome worldwide system too!! On an irrelevant note; I CAN"T wait to visit the UK hopefully in September!! ❤️

Yeah I'm tempted to try them but I was looking at their baggage and can pay for x2 bags and then any over and above this they charge £9 per KG on the third bag! Which is a no no because I probably need 3 bags (unless I bin stuff). 

September will be here before you know it, I know Courtney (USC) is already planning our first trip back to the UK Together (she's coming over March 28th!) and the list is huge! 

Edited by LukeU

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
9 hours ago, Ate said:

Even if you don't want to bail out, this would actually be a good excuse to tell the airline check-in staff, wouldn't it?  "Look, what if it doesn't work out and we don't get married in 90 days?  Don't you watch 90-Day Fiance?!  I need a way home!" :lol:  I wonder if anyone has ever tried that out...

I don't think the airline counter needs an excuse or asks about your return.  But yeah, I was thinking of 90-Day Fiancé when I wrote that 😂. I saw the most recent season. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am planning on using Thomas Cook when the time comes as they do one way flights for cheaps and mostly because I dont want to get blacklisted by Virgin😊. Manchester to Orlando (premium economy direct) in my case is £429. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Went with the return, only saved around  £200 in the end, at this point any saving is good, this is an expensive process. So of course now I go to cancel my return flight & they want £120 to cancel.....what a complete bag of richards! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.