JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

Just now, tnnandi said:

I don't think point 2 is true. If you go out of the US and re-enter 4 times using the same J-1 visa, you are not subjected to  2-year home residency 4 times. You do not need 4 waivers. You only need 1 waiver.

what I was pointing at is, if you applied for a waiver or got a waiver approved and you travel out with a J1 visa and re-entered with a J1 visa, you may be subject to a new 2 year.

I am not implying traveling while you have not applied for a waiver. I did travel with my J1 visa some while ago. But I applied for a waiver ONLY after returning from my last travel and I know I will not be leaving the US for some time to come.

If you apply for a 2 year waiver or got one approved, do not travel and enter the US with your J1 Visa unless you have status change.

14 minutes ago, tnnandi said:

I'm also in a similar situation. All my documents as well as the NOS were sent to DOS on 19th November, and today (5th December) my status got updated for the first time on the DOS webpage. Although it shows that the DS3035, DS2019, passport bio page, statement of reason and the fee have been received, there is no mention of the NOS from the embassy. I'd like to know if many of the applicants are observing this incomplete status update from the DOS.   

Has the status page for your application been updated to reflect the receipt of NOS yet?

No... it hasn’t been updated... I check the status every day...  I hope this is the “normal” process 😏

Just now, Abayomi said:

what I was pointing at is, if you applied for a waiver or got a waiver approved and you travel out with a J1 visa and re-entered with a J1 visa, you may be subject to a new 2 year.

I am not implying traveling while you have not applied for a waiver. I did travel with my J1 visa some while ago. But I applied for a waiver ONLY after returning from my last travel and I know I will not be leaving the US for some time to come.

If you apply for a 2 year waiver or got one approved, do not travel and enter the US with your J1 Visa unless you have status change.

Yes, you are correct. Hopefully this conversation will be helpful for someone in the future. Thank you for the very useful information!

12 minutes ago, Hectordl said:

Hey I was just wondering, I have the two year rule, because my DS-2019 was wrongly filled, it stated that I was receiving money from my home country even though I wasn't so the 2 year rule was checked, I don't know if any one has had a similar problem before, should I still apply for the waiver by the normal process?

If you have enough time in hand, you can request for an advisory opinion with the DOS to clarify if you are really subjected to the 2-year rule.

16 minutes ago, Hectordl said:

Hey I was just wondering, I have the two year rule, because my DS-2019 was wrongly filled, it stated that I was receiving money from my home country even though I wasn't so the 2 year rule was checked, I don't know if any one has had a similar problem before, should I still apply for the waiver by the normal process?

Ask for an advisory opinion and explain your situation with proofs that show you are not receiving funds from your home country. That will clear things up. 

On 11/22/2019 at 3:33 PM, AN204 said:

Hi, Sorry to hear about your situation. I actually get my final waiver from USCIS on Nov first week. Its better to email the DOS, don't call them , they asked not to call them in the instruction. Actually they reply 2 weeks after you email them. Also if your embassy didn't send the NOS to DOS, DOS will not start working. It took around 2 months for me to get the final waiver. Thanks.

Hi AN204, thank you for the information about wait time for email. My embassy sent NOS in the end of September but it is not showing as received. So I emailed them on November 12 and still waiting for reply.  Is this normal? or I send another email?  

Yes @Abayomi

*My favorable recommendation was sent to USCIS on November 15th

*I got the letter by mail on November 26th

*USCIS received my case on November 21st (but I got the I797-C with my receipt number only on December 4th)

*My waiver was sent on November 26th and I got the I797-A by mail on December 3rd

Good luck with your case!

On 12/6/2019 at 11:53 PM, BL_07 said:

Hi AN204, thank you for the information about wait time for email. My embassy sent NOS in the end of September but it is not showing as received. So I emailed them on November 12 and still waiting for reply.  Is this normal? or I send another email?  

Hi, I'd suggest you to get in touch with your local congressman, who I assume, can clarify on behalf you all questions you may have regarding the delay with the DOS.

Sharing my timeline to see if anyone else is currently facing similar wait time. My case number is 16415XX

October 27, 2019: J-1 waiver application submitted online, case number geneated.

October 31, 2019: Application packet (printed application, fees money order, supporting documents) sent

November 3, 2019: Application packet received (USPS tracking confirmed)

November 5, 2019: Fees money order cashed (was a USPS money order, submitted a "6401 Inquiry" money order enquiry at my local post office, received a copy of the cashed money order a week later).

November 19, 2019: NOC sent to US DoS (Confirmed by email from Indian Embassy in Washington)

December 10, 2019...: No information regarding my case in DoS's online system.

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding:

Item Action Date

Go_back.gif Enter_case_no.gif
Currently, there is no information regarding the status of your case. If you would like additional information, please contact Public Inquiries at 212ewaiver@state.gov

I sent an email with all required information to the email address on December 3, 2019, but have not received any response yet.

Does this timeline seem normal? I would at least expect to see that my documents (except the NOC) received since they were delivered over a month ago. Anyone else in similar situation with no updates at all for over a month?

I am getting nervous especially because one of my colleague (same country of origin, employer, visa category etc.) submitted her application on October 4, was showed received online on October 14, NOC received on October 25, favorable recommendation sent on November 16, USCIS final approval received by mail on December 4. With exactly the same case, how does one case get all cleared in 2 months, and another not even marked received for almost 2 months?

If anything, I hope someone else with a similar timeline finds this message reassuring that such delays are normal!!!

21 hours ago, adshah said:

Sharing my timeline to see if anyone else is currently facing similar wait time. My case number is 16415XX

October 27, 2019: J-1 waiver application submitted online, case number geneated.

October 31, 2019: Application packet (printed application, fees money order, supporting documents) sent

November 3, 2019: Application packet received (USPS tracking confirmed)

November 5, 2019: Fees money order cashed (was a USPS money order, submitted a "6401 Inquiry" money order enquiry at my local post office, received a copy of the cashed money order a week later).

November 19, 2019: NOC sent to US DoS (Confirmed by email from Indian Embassy in Washington)

December 10, 2019...: No information regarding my case in DoS's online system.

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding:

Item Action Date

Go_back.gif Enter_case_no.gif
Currently, there is no information regarding the status of your case. If you would like additional information, please contact Public Inquiries at 212ewaiver@state.gov

I sent an email with all required information to the email address on December 3, 2019, but have not received any response yet.

Does this timeline seem normal? I would at least expect to see that my documents (except the NOC) received since they were delivered over a month ago. Anyone else in similar situation with no updates at all for over a month?

I am getting nervous especially because one of my colleague (same country of origin, employer, visa category etc.) submitted her application on October 4, was showed received online on October 14, NOC received on October 25, favorable recommendation sent on November 16, USCIS final approval received by mail on December 4. With exactly the same case, how does one case get all cleared in 2 months, and another not even marked received for almost 2 months?

If anything, I hope someone else with a similar timeline finds this message reassuring that such delays are normal!!!

Same here.... it took 3 weeks to get the first update, and it does not include the NOS which was sent almost at the same time as the original package... not sure why is still not showing as "received"....

On 12/9/2019 at 10:14 PM, BL_07 said:

Thanks tnnandi! This is the last option so would try that too. did you get your application updated?

Hi, my status now shows all documents received except the NOC (although it was sent a month ago). Is your case a simple one, or one of the more complicated ones (e.g.. involving waivers from multiple J-1 visas)?

Edited by tnnandi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.