Brian & Hue

I hired a lawyer, question...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello fellow VJ'ers!

Well before I was aware of this forum, I hired an immigration lawyer, specializing in k1 visas.  He prepared our i-129f, and after one RFE (minor mistake I made when sending proof of my fiance's divorce paperwork), and after about 7 months I received the NOA2, and our petition was approved.  IF I had it to do over again, I wouldn't hire a lawyer again, knowing all I learned from reading these forums, which are an immense help, thank you.

Anyway, I mentioned to my lawyer after we received the NOA2, that I had been reading on visa journey, and he advised me that I should just be asking him directly, rather than reading on VJ, which I thought was odd.

Prior to our i-129f being approved, my fiance in Vietnam has been restless, (and frankly we are both super tired of waiting, we've been "together" for over 3 years, and I've been to visit with her 5 times already, but I haven't been to see her for about a year), so she hired someone in Vietnam to prepare whatever documents are required on her end (this appears to be the DS-160 and associated documents), and we have been awaiting our NVC case number which we recently received.  We're waiting for the case to be transferred to the embassy in HCMC, now and my fiance wants to go ahead pay the visa fees (k1 and k2 for her little boy) and start gathering the documents, with the help of her "lawyer" (which I don't believe to actually be a lawyer, but rather a preparer of documents.)

My question, should I wait to actually talk with my lawyer about the next steps before we start on the ds-160, or just let my fiance go ahead and pay the visa fees and have her preparer go ahead with it? 

Edited by Brian & Hue

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The lawyer is useless. From now on it all on you.For Vietnam, you have to wait until US Embassy in Saigon get your package,  and they will send you the P3 which included the instructions to schedule the interview. In addition,  K1 visa is a touch one in Vietnam ( you better know why), so ask your fiance well prepared for it. Another note: if you can and you do care, flight to VN and go to the interview with your fiance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

If I had to do it over again, I would have hired a lawyer from the start, as I made a couple mistakes.

You've paid for a lawyer, follow that lawyer's advice for the visa process. Bringing in an 4th party isn't going to help.

Except from the NOA2, it's now about the beneficiary applying (DS-160) for the visa. 

Not sure how lawyer in USA is going to help that because that this point, it's all about the Consulate in HCMC and what they want or don't want.

I think the Op should help her fill out the required forms, they are in English and they both need to understand what they are saying. 

My finance and I will fill out DS160 next week, and I'm planning on returning for interview. 

One more thing. I see you had a RFE. That's the lawyer's fault, else why are you paying him.

Dump the lawyer. You won't be worse off.

Dump the lawyer and start taking control of your own destiny.  Paying others who are only interested in your money and NOT in the petition is really a bad idea.  This is your life.  Why trust it to people who will actually make more money by slowing down your petition.  The lawyer will get paid for responding to an RFE that he caused in the first place by not filing the correct papers.  Having someone else do the DS-160 is also asking for challenges since that is a legal document that you will submit.  Mistakes in that can even prevent visas now and in the future.  Why trust that to strangers?  Be very careful and make sure you read and re-read all paperwork that you do not generate yourself.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.