Jump to content
Brittany & Jamie

How many affidavit of supports do i need to submit ?

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am a US citizen living in Canada with my Canadian spouse and 2 children. If we have a co-sponsor ( my mother who financially qualifies for supporting us 4 ) do I have to submit an affidavit of support as well as my mom ? Or does just my mothers affidavit have to be sent with all petitions ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Brittany & Jamie said:

So do we both file on the same form ? 

Each sponsor provides their own I-864 + supporting documents.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Brittany & Jamie said:

I am a US citizen living in Canada with my Canadian spouse and 2 children. If we have a co-sponsor ( my mother who financially qualifies for supporting us 4 ) do I have to submit an affidavit of support as well as my mom ? Or does just my mothers affidavit have to be sent with all petitions ? 

She only needs to be joint sponsor for any immigrants.  So your Canadian spouse.  Since you are a USC your children should also be USC and need a CRBA and us passport if you qualify to pass citizenship onto them.  If not then they would need their own petitions and I-864w since they'd become USCs as soon as they immigrated. 

 

Her household size will not include you or your children.  It will be her, her spouse, any dependents and your Canadian spouse. 

 

YOU = I-864

MOM = I-864

MOM's SPOUSE = I-864a

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NikLR said:

She only needs to be joint sponsor for any immigrants.  So your Canadian spouse.  Since you are a USC your children should also be USC and need a CRBA and us passport if you qualify to pass citizenship onto them.  If not then they would need their own petitions and I-864w since they'd become USCs as soon as they immigrated. 

 

Her household size will not include you or your children.  It will be her, her spouse, any dependents and your Canadian spouse. 

 

YOU = I-864

MOM = I-864

MOM's SPOUSE = I-864a

My wife is a Canadian citizen and so are both of our children. They are my step children. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Brittany & Jamie said:

My wife is a Canadian citizen and so are both of our children. They are my step children. 

That is a little different.  Did you file an I-130 for each of them?  Each person immigrating will need an I-864.  So you will file 3 and so will your mom. If your mom is married then her spouse should also file an I-864a for each. 


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NikLR said:

That is a little different.  Did you file an I-130 for each of them?  Each person immigrating will need an I-864.  So you will file 3 and so will your mom. If your mom is married then her spouse should also file an I-864a for each. 

That’s good to know ! I didn’t think her husband also needed to file too. Thank you !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brittany & Jamie said:

That’s good to know ! I didn’t think her husband also needed to file too. Thank you !!

They don't "need" to file but it's best practice to do so if they file their taxes jointly. 


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×