Danny70

Bringing birth control to America?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiance is going to bring her birth control with her from Thailand. In Thailand women don't need a prescription to buy birth control.  She wants to bring a years supply with her since it's so cheap in Thailand.  

Should she bring a couple of months supply with her? I don't think she needs to bring a years supply with her at all. Will she get into trouble if she brings her unopened birth control supply in America with her. 

3 minutes ago, Danny70 said:

My fiance is going to bring her birth control with her from Thailand. In Thailand women don't need a prescription to buy birth control.  She wants to bring a years supply with her since it's so cheap in Thailand.  

Should she bring a couple of months supply with her? I don't think she needs to bring a years supply with her at all. Will she get into trouble if she brings her unopened birth control supply in America with her. 

I don't see why it should be a problem.  BC is Rx here in the states, but it isn't a controlled substance or anything.  Even though it is OTC in Thailand, I wonder if her primary care doc would be willing to write a letter explaining that she is/has been on that particular medication, and that she should continue?  It could be "medically recommended" as it is something she has been tolerating, and in general it is best to stay on the particular drug she is used to.

I'd defer to CBP's rules:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/your-trip

" Medications in their original packages. Bring only the amount of medication you will need. Prescription medications have to be under the traveler's name."

If she wants to bring in more than just enough to cover her until she can see a US doctor and get a prescription, I'd at least get a doctor's note just in case.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I was in the exact situation, I mean exact, so I was going to bring a years supply worth to get us by also. If you go by the letter of the law according to CBP since it is a prescribed substance here it is regulated based on the laws of the country you are entering, so you would need a prescription from a US based doctor for her to bring. My doctor here said if her current doctor send over a letter he would be willing to write a RX for her in case she had any problems. Now seemed like a good idea, and was ready to put the plan into action, but to cover my bases I called my friend who is CBP down in San Diego,CA at the San Ysidro boarder crossing. He said the general consensus is they would let it thru, but the problem is when you buy it in Thailand they don't put your name on it or a label saying who it was prescribed to like you get here in the US when you pick up a RX, and it could end up taken just on that fact alone.

What we ended up doing is getting her set-up with the Implant type birth control. It is good for 3 years and the cost savings is awesome Here is the hospital she went to, and the total cost with a follow up visit was under 70 dollars US. The cost for that here even at planned parenthood is around 500-700 dollars when you don't have insurance. Hospital was:

Charoenkrung Pracharak Hospital

8 Charoenkrung Road 
, Bang Kho Laem 

10120 Bangkok
Thailand

My wife said was excellent doctor and very nice, and had no problems at all. I have photos of the procedure, but I won't post those, kinda will scare you off of the idea, but it really isn't bad. she said didn't hurt at all, and only about 2-3 days she was able to remove bandage and continue work normally. Ill attach a image of the card she got showing the RX she got, but so far it has been great not having to remember to take pills, and the light to non-existent periods. Overall a great experience for us. I would consider this if you still have some time before she comes to the US. My wife had it done in October, and then she came to the US about a month later in November. If your fiancee has any questions PM me her line ID, or I will send you my wife's, and they can chat and message and she can tell her how it went and that way she can see if it is worth checking out.

Birth_000031.jpg

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Inappropriate post removed along with those quoting or replying to that removed post. Stick to answering the OP's question and nothing else.~~

~~Thread also moved to Moving Here and YOur New Life, from K1 P&P as this is not visa related.~~

2 posts with quotes removed returned to view

1 hour ago, beloved_dingo said:

Bringing birth control is not an issue whatsoever, many women just have it in their baggage and it's no big deal (it's very common, after all). Though I am not sure about bringing a year-long supply, but as it is not a controlled substance, I wouldn't think it would cause any issue other than possibly some questions. A note from her physician might be a good idea though just to cover the bases, since here it is a prescription and there it is not. 

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

OP is adding your soon to be spouse to your health insurance fairly easy?  Because BC is an rx here in the USA, she would need to see a doctor to continue birth control.  I'm unsure if the brands would even be similar.  Some are not even from Canada to the USA.  She should bring as much as she feels comfortable with.  Birth control on my health insurance is free and is on many other health insurance plans provided you do your yearly exam (which is also free for me, but for some there is a co-pay?)  Either way she should bring it on her carry on, not her checked baggage. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: American Samoa
Timeline
On 2/4/2019 at 9:30 AM, Loren Y said:

I was in the exact situation, I mean exact, so I was going to bring a years supply worth to get us by also. If you go by the letter of the law according to CBP since it is a prescribed substance here it is regulated based on the laws of the country you are entering, so you would need a prescription from a US based doctor for her to bring. My doctor here said if her current doctor send over a letter he would be willing to write a RX for her in case she had any problems. Now seemed like a good idea, and was ready to put the plan into action, but to cover my bases I called my friend who is CBP down in San Diego,CA at the San Ysidro boarder crossing. He said the general consensus is they would let it thru, but the problem is when you buy it in Thailand they don't put your name on it or a label saying who it was prescribed to like you get here in the US when you pick up a RX, and it could end up taken just on that fact alone.

What we ended up doing is getting her set-up with the Implant type birth control. It is good for 3 years and the cost savings is awesome Here is the hospital she went to, and the total cost with a follow up visit was under 70 dollars US. The cost for that here even at planned parenthood is around 500-700 dollars when you don't have insurance. Hospital was:

Charoenkrung Pracharak Hospital

8 Charoenkrung Road 
, Bang Kho Laem 

10120 Bangkok
Thailand

My wife said was excellent doctor and very nice, and had no problems at all. I have photos of the procedure, but I won't post those, kinda will scare you off of the idea, but it really isn't bad. she said didn't hurt at all, and only about 2-3 days she was able to remove bandage and continue work normally. Ill attach a image of the card she got showing the RX she got, but so far it has been great not having to remember to take pills, and the light to non-existent periods. Overall a great experience for us. I would consider this if you still have some time before she comes to the US. My wife had it done in October, and then she came to the US about a month later in November. If your fiancee has any questions PM me her line ID, or I will send you my wife's, and they can chat and message and she can tell her how it went and that way she can see if it is worth checking out.

Birth_000031.jpg

When your wife have her medical for k1 visa did she have it already her implant nexplanon or after her medical? Please right me back because I'm planning to have nexplanon too before going to USA . Thank you🙂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 hour ago, Resalyn said:

When your wife have her medical for k1 visa did she have it already her implant nexplanon or after her medical? Please right me back because I'm planning to have nexplanon too before going to USA . Thank you🙂

Yes, was done before her medical, and it didn't cause any issues. She mentioned it to the doctor, but he wasn't too concerned, and just told her that's fine, no problems.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.