Jester1972

Gotta make it work...

25 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! 

I am a natural US citizen, and my fiance is Thai. We met online and just... kept talking. LOL We have been "together" now for a couple years. We're both in our late 40's, and she is a widow that live's in a rural area of Thailand. I have went to visit her twice in that time, 2 weeks each time. I fell in love with both her and Thailand, and I originally planned to move there to be with her. But, after a bit of research, I realized I couldn't make much money there without some sort of supplemental income. I am a long time paint and body guy, and make decent money when I want. But, when we met, I was in coast mode, and just working enough to pay the bills. Sometimes the freedom of self employment can bite ya in the butt... case in point. 

First off, When I discovered the potential lack of finances, I spent a ton of time learning graphic design and designing tees thinking if I worked hard enough I could create a decent supplemental income, so I could move there and not be broke. This idea almost destroyed our relationship. I learned, I designed, but I made very little money. I spent so much time trying to get it to work, I only made around 18k on paper before taxes. ughh. I kept myself fed and the rent paid, but that's about it. I did get pretty good at design, and I am not one to discount acquired skills. But, It didn't bring us any closer to our goal of being together. 

So, we decided that she will move here until we sort out how we could live financially stable in Thailand. Problem is, 2017 doesn't look good on paper. But, being irresponsible may not always a bad thing because SOMEONE (me) didn't file taxes in 2016, and 2018 hasn't been filed yet. So, my first inquiry is... would having an average income above the threshold be a possibility? Meaning, reporting enough for 2016 and 2018 to create an average above the threshold for the combined 3 years.

Now, we have started recording our language lessons together and sharing on our Facebook fan page, and the response from Thai people has been crazy good! And, I love teaching BASIC English to Thai people. I am determined to speak fluent Thai, which they think is narak ( so cute) I know I can monetize on teaching eventually. So, that will be a great supplemental source of income once we make the move to Thailand together. But, right now, just getting together is our only concern. So, would averaging my income to be above the threshold feasible, or should I be looking for another route? I assume having a sponsor hurts your chances of approval pretty bad. I wouldn't blame them for looking at having a 3rd party involved and then thinking "If you can't take care of her on your own, then you have no business marrying her". I get that. Of course, I know I can take care of her. But, meeting the requirements ON PAPER is a whole nother story. 

Looking over my post, I feel I am rambling. lol But, loving someone 9,000 miles away Isn't common in my area. I feel you guys prolly "get it". Her and I just want to grow old(er) together, and enjoy what life has to offer. Funny thing, you know what she is most stoked about coming to America for? Besides being with me, of course. She wants to hunt mushrooms, and play in the snow! I want her to experience those things, more than anything. She is the most kind and wonderful person I have ever met. And, I feel so lucky we found each other.  Many times, I even feel her in the next room, though she isn't there. If we can't make the K1 work, then I will begin researching another option. But, for now, I feel like I need to look at every option to make the k1 work. Thanks in advance for any 

and all guidance. It is greatly appreciated. 

Note: I'm not a tax dodging loser. Like I said, I just had a couple years of coast mode, and a "what's the point" attitude for a while. Having a lifetime of the wrong life partners does that to a fella. Just wanted to put that out there... :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

nope, it doesn't work like that, you can't average your income, or make enough or you supplement with assets or get yourself a joint sponsor

what is your estimated income for 2019? current income is the most important one

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Do you know anyone that will be willing to co-sponsor? They must be a US citizen.

K1 Visa Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

07/23/2018    I-129F sent

07/25/2018    NOA1 email notification

07/30/2018    NOA1 hard copy

12/21/2018    NOA2 hard copy

01/10/2019    NVC Case # assigned

01/22/2019    Left NVC

01/29/2019    Embassy received

01/29/2019    Pkt 3 sent

02/01/2019    Pkt 4 received

02/13/2019    Medical

03/00/2019    Interview approved!

04/01/2019    Visa issued

04/02/2019    Visa received in mail

04/06/2019    POE

05/04/2019    Wedding

Adjustment Of Status Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

05/31/2019    I-485, I-131 and I-765 sent

06/10/2019    NOA1 (electronic) & check cashed

06/11/2019    NOA1 hard copies

07/05/2019    Biometrics walk-in

09/30/2019    Interview scheduled (electronic notification)

10/23/2019    EAD/AP approved

11/00/2019    AOS Interview approved!

11/08/2019    Green card is being produced

11/16/2019    Green card in hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Actually, NOT having a sponsor might be the real damage. If you can't show you make enough to support your fiancè, then a sponsor is ABSOLUTELY required or they'll most likely deny you for inelegibility. You have to meet the so-called "Income Requirements".
I'm not sure if not filing taxes may be a problem, even tho it sounds like it might be.
A lot of people get a sponsor and they have no problems getting through the process :)
About the rest, I know I'm not very helpful so you might wanna wait for more experienced and wise users!

K-1 Fiancè Visa

• I-129F

NOA1: 2018-12-19
NOA2: 2019-03-29
NVC: 2019-04-30
Consulate & Packet 3: 2019-05-08

Interview Date : 2019-11-05  APPROVED!
Visa Received : 2019-11-07
US Entry: 2019-12-13
Marriage: 2020-02-20 YAY!!

• AOS

AOS/EAD/AP sent: 2020-03-10

Biometrics: 2020-08-07

EAD: 2020-07-11  APPROVED

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Just now, Jester1972 said:

Yeah, a co-sponsor shouldn't be a problem  Ethan & Shannon  But, don't you think that looks a bit flaky? 

No, definitely more flaky without a co-sponsor as it will be denied without in your current circumstance.

K1 Visa Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

07/23/2018    I-129F sent

07/25/2018    NOA1 email notification

07/30/2018    NOA1 hard copy

12/21/2018    NOA2 hard copy

01/10/2019    NVC Case # assigned

01/22/2019    Left NVC

01/29/2019    Embassy received

01/29/2019    Pkt 3 sent

02/01/2019    Pkt 4 received

02/13/2019    Medical

03/00/2019    Interview approved!

04/01/2019    Visa issued

04/02/2019    Visa received in mail

04/06/2019    POE

05/04/2019    Wedding

Adjustment Of Status Timeline [Approved]

Spoiler

05/31/2019    I-485, I-131 and I-765 sent

06/10/2019    NOA1 (electronic) & check cashed

06/11/2019    NOA1 hard copies

07/05/2019    Biometrics walk-in

09/30/2019    Interview scheduled (electronic notification)

10/23/2019    EAD/AP approved

11/00/2019    AOS Interview approved!

11/08/2019    Green card is being produced

11/16/2019    Green card in hand

1 hour ago, Ethan & Shannon said:

Do you know anyone that will be willing to co-sponsor? They must be a US citizen.

No need to be American citizen to be a sponsor. Permanent residents are allowed also.

I do not think the Bangkok embassy is accepting sponsors other than the fiancé for K1, you might want to ask in the regional forum/search for recent experiences there. 

---

Edited by Lemonslice

2 hours ago, Jester1972 said:

Hi everyone! 

I am a natural US citizen, and my fiance is Thai. We met online and just... kept talking. LOL We have been "together" now for a couple years. We're both in our late 40's, and she is a widow that live's in a rural area of Thailand. I have went to visit her twice in that time, 2 weeks each time. I fell in love with both her and Thailand, and I originally planned to move there to be with her. But, after a bit of research, I realized I couldn't make much money there without some sort of supplemental income. I am a long time paint and body guy, and make decent money when I want. But, when we met, I was in coast mode, and just working enough to pay the bills. Sometimes the freedom of self employment can bite ya in the butt... case in point. 

First off, When I discovered the potential lack of finances, I spent a ton of time learning graphic design and designing tees thinking if I worked hard enough I could create a decent supplemental income, so I could move there and not be broke. This idea almost destroyed our relationship. I learned, I designed, but I made very little money. I spent so much time trying to get it to work, I only made around 18k on paper before taxes. ughh. I kept myself fed and the rent paid, but that's about it. I did get pretty good at design, and I am not one to discount acquired skills. But, It didn't bring us any closer to our goal of being together. 

So, we decided that she will move here until we sort out how we could live financially stable in Thailand. Problem is, 2017 doesn't look good on paper. But, being irresponsible may not always a bad thing because SOMEONE (me) didn't file taxes in 2016, and 2018 hasn't been filed yet. So, my first inquiry is... would having an average income above the threshold be a possibility? Meaning, reporting enough for 2016 and 2018 to create an average above the threshold for the combined 3 years.

Now, we have started recording our language lessons together and sharing on our Facebook fan page, and the response from Thai people has been crazy good! And, I love teaching BASIC English to Thai people. I am determined to speak fluent Thai, which they think is narak ( so cute) I know I can monetize on teaching eventually. So, that will be a great supplemental source of income once we make the move to Thailand together. But, right now, just getting together is our only concern. So, would averaging my income to be above the threshold feasible, or should I be looking for another route? I assume having a sponsor hurts your chances of approval pretty bad. I wouldn't blame them for looking at having a 3rd party involved and then thinking "If you can't take care of her on your own, then you have no business marrying her". I get that. Of course, I know I can take care of her. But, meeting the requirements ON PAPER is a whole nother story. 

Looking over my post, I feel I am rambling. lol But, loving someone 9,000 miles away Isn't common in my area. I feel you guys prolly "get it". Her and I just want to grow old(er) together, and enjoy what life has to offer. Funny thing, you know what she is most stoked about coming to America for? Besides being with me, of course. She wants to hunt mushrooms, and play in the snow! I want her to experience those things, more than anything. She is the most kind and wonderful person I have ever met. And, I feel so lucky we found each other.  Many times, I even feel her in the next room, though she isn't there. If we can't make the K1 work, then I will begin researching another option. But, for now, I feel like I need to look at every option to make the k1 work. Thanks in advance for any 

and all guidance. It is greatly appreciated. 

Note: I'm not a tax dodging loser. Like I said, I just had a couple years of coast mode, and a "what's the point" attitude for a while. Having a lifetime of the wrong life partners does that to a fella. Just wanted to put that out there... :)

What is your adjusted gross income for 2018? If it’s more than the 125% poverty line then you’re fine. If not consider marrying in Thailand. If you live here for more than a year and apply at the uscis   In Thailand it takes 2-3 months and everything will be done (green card, no AOS, etc.)

Do you have assets? If their value is at least three times the 125% poverty line then with a marriage visa you can use that along with income.

A k-1 visa takes longer, it’s more expensive and more difficult to get.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.